Sign in to follow this  
mineaux

Wedding Bands....How much.

I've got all you cheapies beat!! Both my rings came from estate auctions. My engagement ring was $350 + $50 to size...not bad for a .55ct ring in white gold. My wedding band was $22 + $40 for sizing. They both date from about the 1930s. So for my band I paid $62.

I'm telling you auctions are great if you know what you are looking forsmile29.gif

I have 2 bands that came with the engagement ring, but he also bought an enhancer that goes around the whole thing and that was $1300. FI's band was about the same as well.

I feel cheap...we couldn't afford really expensive bands...my e-ring is just a diamond solitaire, but on a very thin band. It was hard to find a band thin enough that looked ok with it, without overpowering it, so I wanted it to be very simple.

We spent less than $500 for both of our bands combined, but they are exactly what we wanted.

Mine was $1100, and my FIs will likely be in th $500 range -- doesn't seem fair does it? lol

I think it's very different for everyone, depending on the style of the engagement ring, etc.

Might I suggest Ebay for the men's ring? Great deals on great quality. If you're in doubt, ask a jeweler about the specs. :)

Ok, I'm on the cheapy end too. My band was on sale for $199. Its a sapphire and diamond band. DH's cost $50, that's right $50. Woohoo! lol Its a tungsten band and we got it on overstock. We figured he would ruin it at some point since he gets dirty at work, so why spend a lot. I think you should decide on a budget and go from there. You don't have to spend a lot to get something nice.

Another thing to remember is that going to a "high-end" jeweler isn't as big of a deal with bands, b/c there aren't usually big diamonds involved. The problem with some places is that they may have a flawless large diamond, but to get that flawless large diamond they had to cut the facets at an angle that doesn't completely maximize sparkle (but minimizes flaws). Most "premium" jewelers will only ever cut each diamond style in one very specific mathematical way, which means they end up wasting more diamond and have to charge more. With bands (even ones covered in small diamonds) it's not really relevant, and you won't be able to notice much difference, so just get something affordable that you like :)

Also consider your lifestyle when picking bands! My fiance is an engineer and works on cars a lot, so for him tungsten was a natural choice since it's EXTREMELY robust and resistant to wear and tear (he also loves the gunmetal grey color it comes in). I personally don't like the way yellow gold looks on me, and I'm too lazy to get white gold re-plated, so I felt like getting platinum was a priority for me (it's also what my mom has which I liked) so don't worry too much about the "norm" and what we think! As you can see from this thread, everyone gets totally different things, from $40 to $4000!

I got my band yesterday. It's platinum with channel-set princess-cut diamonds and cost about $1200.

But Jared's has a trade-in program so I'm giving them back an old diamond ring (a gift from about 10 yrs ago) and they credit me the original sale price. So in reality, my wedding band will only cost me about $600!

We did not spend alot at all. We went to peoples jewellers just before xmas when they had an amazing sale. My e-ring, wedding band and FI wedding band grand total for all 3 was 1400.00. My e-ring was on sale plus there was no tax and 25-50% off sale. I could not believe it. We had just gone looking that day. But we got all 3 rings for less then my e-ring would of been regular price. My e-ring is princess cut 3 diamonds across I guess similar to the present past and future design and my wedding band is similiar to an aniversary band with about 10-12 diamonds that run half way around the ring. FI has one large diamond on his. All rings are white gold. I did not want to spend alot as this is our 2nd marriage for both of us. I guess as I get older and wiser( i hope anyways) lol I am gettng cheaper!

We had our bands custom made and we paid $350 for his ( a mix of white and yellow gold) and about $500 for mine. (a channel set yellow gold band with 10 inset small diamonds). It was actually going to cost more to buy similar rings from People's than it cost to have them custom made!

Hers = $1200, custom white gold with .6 carats of channel set rounds from whiteflash.com (GREAT place for beautiful certified diamonds)

His = $55, pretty simple tungsten band from titaniumkay.com (great to work with and excellent return/exchange policy)