Liquor- How many bottles to purchase

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 *JillD*

*JillD*
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

I was going to say maybe a whiskey (jack daniels or jim beam) and a gin

I'm sure the vodka rum & tequila will be the first to go, but I know my FI is a Jim Beam drinker when he drinks hard alcohol

#12 Christine

Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

we are going with the wine and beer only thing. My step-mom's family does not handle hard alcohol well and our caterer does not have a hard alcohol license-they are like $25,000 in CA. So I think we will buy 6-10 cases of wine (white and red), 1 case of champange and 2 kegs of beer.
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#13 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

hi amy,

found this for you.
    Quote:
    Q: I am having 10 guests at my party. How much liquor should I purchase?
    A: You can assume that 10 guests will consume about 4 to 5 drinks for the evening. If you are just serving hard alcohol, that's approximately 20 shots. (Based on 1.5 oz. per shot - - 2 per person). A bottle of wine usually yields about 5 cocktails. If you buy beer, consider purchasing 6-packs or bottles.
    Quote:
    Party Food Planning:
    Beverage Calculator
    Include beverages in your party food planning. The amount of punch or number of cocktails or beers a guest will drink varies. Allow for the length of the party, the strength of the beverage, the day of the week, the rowdiness of the crowd, or lack thereof, and adjust your figure accordingly. The rules-of-thumb are:

Punch: Figure 10 people to the gallon-- pretty good mileage. That's a conservative estimate, assuming your guests will drink about three 4-ounce servings during the party.

Cocktails: Figure that your guests will consume 2 drinks per person per hour for the first 2 hours and 1 drink per person per hour after that.

What to stock for your cocktail party:

As for liquor, purchase at least one 750-mil bottle (standard size) each of scotch, rum, bourbon, tequila, vodka and gin if that is practical for you. Each bottle contains about 16 1 1/2-ounce shots. (The same size bottle of wine or champagne contains 6 4-ounce servings. One 12-ounce beer is considered one serving.)

Stock mixers such as club soda, lime juice and other fruit juices, tonic water, and non-alcoholic beer in small bottles so that unopened containers may be used in future.

Stock 1 pound of ice per person if the drinks need to be iced. More will be needed for an outdoor, warm-weather party, or if the party lasts a long time. Only about half that though, 1/2 pound of ice per person, is needed if the beverages are pre-chilled or the party is of short duration.

Figure about 4 cocktail napkins (or 2 linen napkins) per person per hour, less if your guests will be using small cocktail plates for food.

Stock enough glasses that your guests can trade a dirty one for a clean one at least once, maybe more.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#14 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 3,754 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Tammy!

Anny- how much are you saving purchasing the bottles duty free?

#15 anaderoux

anaderoux
      • 3,220 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by amyh
        Thanks Tammy!

Anny- how much are you saving purchasing the bottles duty free?
        I have $2K budgeted for that but I have a friend that works there and he told me I can do it for less than that (considering 200 guests)

#16 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 3,754 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by anacgarcia
          I have $2K budgeted for that but I have a friend that works there and he told me I can do it for less than that (considering 200 guests)
          Anny- please let me know how you are doing this! Once you purchase them, can you email me or post the amount?? Thanks!

#17 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
          • VIP Member
          • 931 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by annkaley
            Has anyone had a problem bringing alcohol into Mexico? Natasha...did you carry three cases of wine down or ship them?
            we carried them down with no problem.

#18 MarieSam

MarieSam
            • VIP Member
            • 2,336 posts
              • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

Glad I digged up this helpful thread, I totally was wondering about this!!!

#19 jmb0902

jmb0902
              • 496 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

This thread made me think of this email I got the other day with a wedding wine/liquor calculator, it's pretty sweet:
                Wedding Wine and Liquor Calculator

#20 DarcyJAde

DarcyJAde
                • 305 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by jmb0902
                  This thread made me think of this email I got the other day with a wedding wine/liquor calculator, it's pretty sweet:
                  Wedding Wine and Liquor Calculator
                  This is awesome! Thanks!!!
                  http://img.weddingco...r/8vbdydmgt.png

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGP
                  [/SIGPIC] 40 PEOPLE BOOKED!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users