• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 jamisoncollette

jamisoncollette
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DGG
    I am getting married on Grand Bahama Island in the Bahamas and you can have a Catholic wedding there as well. For Roman Catholic weddings, it has to be in a church - I had thought this rule was relaxed, but apparently not. I know someone who got married in Puerto Rico by a Catholic priest - it was a regular wedding, but the Church in the US told them they have to renew their vows in a church for it to be recognized.
    In the Bahamas, we could only find a RC priest that will marry us inside of a church, but at least we won't have to renew our vows for our marriage to count in the eyes of the Church.
    Did your friend learn why she needed to renew her vows? Puerto Rico is a US territory with all the benefits of a state. Were both parties Catholic i wonder?

#12 Kathie

Kathie
    • 2,654 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

#13 2bebridejamaica

2bebridejamaica
      • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

Congrats and welcome to the forum!! Beaches Resorts are great for including kids... but I do not think they offer the catholic ceremony you require. But I am a little biased with Beaches... LOL

#14 dolfinluck

dolfinluck
        • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

Congrats and welcome to the forum!!!

#15 *Casey*

*Casey*
          • 5,209 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

HI Maureen... to the forum and CONGRATS!!!

#16 Macphail

Macphail
            • 588 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

Congrats Maureen! You'll find lots of great ideas and sources on this forum. Best of luck with the plans!

#17 DGG

DGG
              • 275 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by jamisoncollette
                Did your friend learn why she needed to renew her vows? Puerto Rico is a US territory with all the benefits of a state. Were both parties Catholic i wonder?
                Sorry, I left out the main point - they found a RC priest in Puerto Rico who agreed to do it outside - because the Catholic Church says you can't get married outside, their regular church won't recognize it unless they renew their vows inside of a church..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users