Photo

If You Are Having A Symbolic/Renewal Ceremony...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Martha

Martha
  • VIP Member
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

Will you consider the day you had your ceremony in Mexico your anniversary or the date you actually got married in the States?

My best friend is ordained (she is a wedding planner and most of them get ordained just in case there is ever a problem with the minister, preacher, justice of the peace, or whatever not showing up) and she is going to be the one to marry us after we get back from Mexico. We will just have a symbolic ceremony there....

But, the date we are choosing to have the symbolic ceremony is the date we really wanna get "married." Like, legally. However, it's going to have to be a date than we originally wanted just to avoid all the hassle of getting legally married in Mexico.

So, which date will you celebrate?

#2 tvt

tvt
    • VIP Member
    • 4,812 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

We will get legally married before we go, but our REAL wedding will be on the beach like we've always dreamt it to be. So we'll celelbrate on that day

#3 -Kate-

-Kate-
      • VIP Member
      • 7,676 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

This is so my issue right now!

We are planning on getting legally married in the US. I want the date in Mexico to be our anniversary date. What I would love though is for one of our friends to get ordained online and marry us in Mexico. Is that considered a legal marriage there?

#4 Martha

Martha
        • VIP Member
        • 3,906 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by LALA
          This is so my issue right now!

We are planning on getting legally married in the US. I want the date in Mexico to be our anniversary date. What I would love though is for one of our friends to get ordained online and marry us in Mexico. Is that considered a legal marriage there?
          We are looking in to this. My best friend just did it online because it was convenient and fast in case she needed to marry one of her brides.

I would love this! As soon as I find out, I will let you know!

#5 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
          • VIP Member
          • 2,347 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

I'll celebrate our anniversary on our legal wedding date here in the US. That is going to be a private ceremony with only the two of us and this is where we will use the vows we are writing.

#6 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 24,768 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:15 PM

pretty sure it would NOT be considered a legal ceremony in Mexico -they're pretty strict.

we'll celebrate our Mexico ceremony day, but won't be legally married until some day later in Hawaii!

#7 Martha

Martha
              • VIP Member
              • 3,906 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

That's what I figured....it was worth a shot though.

Does anyone know if we have to take a birth certificate if we are only having a symbolic ceremony? I have 3 diff. last names and it gets so confusing,

Plus, I am divorced and that is another reason we are having the symbolic ceremony over there...too much paperwork and hassle with translating everything.

#8 *JillD*

*JillD*
                • 5,112 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

the day we get married in mexico will be our real anniversary.

I want to say dreams said we just needed birth certificates or ID's, I can't remember which, I have to check on that.

#9 DreaW

DreaW
                  • Banned
                  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

I might do what my parents do....They have two anniversaries....one where they got legally married in the court house in september and another in june where they got married 15 years later in the church....They celebrate both

#10 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
                    • VIP Member
                    • 931 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

the date that we got married in Mexico. the day that we went to the courthouse felt like any other procedure. we didn't dress up (I wore black juicy sweats) and didn't do anything else to celebrate or document it... unless you count going to buy a digital camera right afterward for our trip.

real romantic, I know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users