Mom doesn't like Key West...now what?

landwlkr

I had finally (after many months of research) started to center my planning on Key West, but talking to my Mom yesterday, she wanted to veto this as our wedding destination. Grr.

I feel like I have to take her views into consideration. Her primary objection is that she feels like it is hard to get to, and doesn't want to drive from Miami. Also, she is concerned about $$-- a KW wedding isn't going to be any cheaper than one locally in NYC (in her opinion). Flights from NY are around $450 to KW. So even if we do just 2 trips down to plan will be $2K for us both to go for flights alone.

So... now what? I am looking at areas closer to Miami airport and Fort Lauderdale or Fort Meyers. What about Delray beach (Sunday house)? Marco Island, Sanibel? I just don't know FL very well.

I am getting ready to throw in the towel and just elope down at city hall.

Thanks friends for continued help and advice!

I don't mean to sound horrible but what's it got to do with your mum where you have your wedding!! If you want it there have it there. It's you who is getting married not her she's done it and I bet she did what she wanted.

I know that sounds harsh but trust me stand your ground now or you're gonna be walked all over

You and FI have to decide what's best for your wedding. If you want it in Key West, have it in Key West! No matter where you decide for a DW someone is going to complain about something. Lots of girls planned their wedding on here without going on a site visit first. You don't necessarily need to go down to Key West to plan the wedding.. were you going to get a wedding planner in that area?

Have your wedding in Key West like you and FI want! Is your mom is paying for the whole thing? If so then she can get away with taking some control, but if it's your gig then she is a guest and can't direct things. She'll have fun in the end and you will be glad you did it your way :)

It's a lot cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale and there is a great Hotel on the beach, called the Grand Pelican. Fort Lauderdale on the beach is a lot like Key West, they even have a sloppy joe's and a pretty good strip of bars as well as a shopping district with a ton of shops catering to Brides (Las Olas). Its a much more casual place than South Beach. But I think in either option you should still pick the place that is going to work the best for you.

Hi Friends,

I hear what you're saying, and I definitely appreciate the advice to stay true to myself. If I had my heart 100% set on KW, and a venue decided upon, I would definitely stick to my guns. But since we are so far out (we're looking at May 2010), I feel I can weigh her considerations and look at other places. Plus, she is contributing financially, which I do believe buys her an opinion (but not the ultimate decision). I don't want to please EVERYBODY (impossible!) but, having my parents on board is really important to me-- and ultimately more important to me than the destination itself....

... SO, that means I am seeing what else is out there in FL. I sent an email out to the Sundy House in Delray Beach and a place called Casa Grande in West Palm Beach. They both seem like lovely spots and reasonably cost. Anyone know them? My Dad pointed out a few places in Sanibel that look pretty too.

Any thoughts? I think I just want to avoid Miami as I am under the impression that the closer you are to MIA, the more expensive things get. Maybe I am wrong!

Thanks!!!!!

Terra

Terra, I am getting married in Key West in May... the flights right now are not all that expensive consider flying out of Newark I got my FI and my flight at 310.00 round trip, stopping over in Miami. (there are no direct flights) Some of my friends are flying to Miami and driving it is a 3 hour drive and it is a very pretty one it goes quick... you get to go over the 7 mile bridge and it is amazing. There flights were about 200.00 round trip for them.

If you have never been you should go and check it out, make sure you like it. I can tell you I have been there at least 6 times and it is every bit what it is sold as. A very very very laid back town. I always felt like I am on a Caribbean island with out leaving the country. Key West a very big party town so know that going in.. there are two sides to the island the resort side more family oriented and old town (duval street) where the night life is booming. There are great places to eat, and hang out, this town is a place where you could easily go out in a tee shirt, jean and flip flops and be completely comfortable.. Key west is not known for it's beaches but they are pretty enough...

It sounds like you might have already changed your mind but I figured I would throw you my two cents.... if you need any more info let me know! Good luck