Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

• Please log in to reply
6405 replies to this topic

#3941 hilly1gh

hilly1gh
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

I tried it on again and below are the pictures.  I've decided I want several alterations done.  The dress is too big.  The corset is pulled all the way shut and I still have room.  I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker.  I'm going to ask a seamstress to shorten it to my size and then pull in the dress and shape it mermaid style, instead of the current A-line (the inspiration dress was mermaid, but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures).  I never asked Babyonline to put the dress on a mannequin for the pictures, so I never gave them feedback about the shape.  I have no idea what the alterations will cost; but I'm still really happy with the dress.  I paid $185 and I know if I had bought the $1000 "real" dress I would still need to pay for alterations - I'm just short and have no boobs (this dress helps conceal that!).  Oh and the place I tried on the "real" dress at is closed!  I drive by it every day.  There was no going out of business signs or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Imagine if I had ordered from them.  Oh the horror.

Rowe - had did your dress turn out?  Boxy like we were worried?

The lace and bead work on my dress is just beautiful!  Babyonline did a great job. The communication with them was a little rough.  Originally they priced the dress at $135, but when I gave them details of what I wanted and the fabric to use (Organza and swavorski crystals) they increased the price to $185.  They did this BEFORE making the dress and before I paid, and I agreed to the amount.  I'll post pictures after the alterations - but that might be a few months.

-Erin

Full View of Me.jpg

top of dress me.jpg

#3942 Rowe

Rowe
    • 9 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Alright, my dress arrived from babyonline. Here it is!

dress bodice.jpg

dressglance.jpg

I am so happy  with it! It does need some alterations though:

dressissues.jpg

Its a little too big. I'm holding it snug in the back to keep a shape.

The pleats are not very secure

I think I'd like to see if a seamstress could remove the thick as hell lining in the bodice and replace it with a lighter fabric--not sure how much that would run me.

I'd like the bra cups removed. They're oddly close together and I'm not a fan in general.

It needs hemmed

It has a hella long train. I wanted a sweep train, but this thing is at least a foot if not more. Crazy long

So yeah, it needs some alterations. I was always prepared to spend a bit there though since the dress is a steal.

I'd also like to add some color too it. But I am soooo psyched! It turned out really well; I'd buy again!

Will post more photos after alterations.

#3943 JoanneIreland

JoanneIreland
      • 860 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:40 AM

Wow thats pretty impressive! You look great.

Originally Posted by Rowe 

dress bodice.jpg

dressglance.jpg

dressissues.jpg

I think I'd like to see if a seamstress could remove the thick as hell lining in the bodice and replace it with a lighter fabric--not sure how much that would run me.

I'd like the bra cups removed. They're oddly close together and I'm not a fan in general.

It needs hemmed

It has a hella long train. I wanted a sweep train, but this thing is at least a foot if not more. Crazy long

So yeah, it needs some alterations. I was always prepared to spend a bit there though since the dress is a steal.

I'd also like to add some color too it. But I am soooo psyched! It turned out really well; I'd buy again!

#3944 hilly1gh

hilly1gh
        • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

Rowe - your dress is amazing!

I posted last night, but it went "under review".  Since the last post I wrote that went under review never made it to the forum, I thought I would just try to remember what I wrote...

I tried my dress on again and like Rowe, it is too big.  I had the corset back all the way closed and there was still room.  I want to make several alterations:  shorten length to my size, pull in at top and make the skirt more mermaid style rather than the current A-line.  My inspiration dress was mermaid-ish; but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures I sent Babyonline.  I also didn't ask them to put the dress on a mannequin, so I never gave them feedback about the skirt.  As for the size, I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker for that either.  Just like Rowe, I feel like I got the dress for a steal and even if I had bought the "real" dress for $1,000, I would have needed alterations (I'm just short and tiny up top).

BTW the dress store where I tried on the original "real" dress no longer exists!  I drive by it everyday.  There was no going out of business sign or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Can you imagine if I had purchased through them! Oh the horror!!

I'm going to post the pics of me trying it on again in a separate post - hopefully that will avoid the "review" process.

#3945 hilly1gh

hilly1gh
          • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

I love the beading and lace work on my dress - I think Babyonline did an amazing job.  One more alteration: I want to shorten the train - sooooo long (but gorgeous!)

Full View of Me.jpg

#3946 hilly1gh

hilly1gh
            • 62 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:59 AM

Here's up close of the beadwork. I'll post more pics after alterations - but it may be a few months.

top of dress me.jpg

#3947 Bride2012

Bride2012
              • Banned
              • 442 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

Originally Posted by Rowe 

dress bodice.jpg

dressglance.jpg

dressissues.jpg

It needs hemmed

#3948 Rowe

Rowe
                • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

Wow! How lucky that you didn't buy from the original store!

I bought the dress super early just in case it turned out terrible and I'd have to order the original after all. So my wedding is still a long way off, but I just want to get it altered now! Haha, I'm so impatient. I can at least take it into a store to see how much it would run me to have the various things done that I'd like done.

hilly1gh, babyonline must be a big fan of trains!

Originally Posted by hilly1gh 

Rowe - your dress is amazing!

I posted last night, but it went "under review".  Since the last post I wrote that went under review never made it to the forum, I thought I would just try to remember what I wrote...

I tried my dress on again and like Rowe, it is too big.  I had the corset back all the way closed and there was still room.  I want to make several alterations:  shorten length to my size, pull in at top and make the skirt more mermaid style rather than the current A-line.  My inspiration dress was mermaid-ish; but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures I sent Babyonline.  I also didn't ask them to put the dress on a mannequin, so I never gave them feedback about the skirt.  As for the size, I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker for that either.  Just like Rowe, I feel like I got the dress for a steal and even if I had bought the "real" dress for $1,000, I would have needed alterations (I'm just short and tiny up top).

BTW the dress store where I tried on the original "real" dress no longer exists!  I drive by it everyday.  There was no going out of business sign or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Can you imagine if I had purchased through them! Oh the horror!!

I'm going to post the pics of me trying it on again in a separate post - hopefully that will avoid the "review" process.

#3949 ericka417

ericka417
                  • Site Supporter
                  • 97 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

The beading is great.  Even with all the alterations your dress will be cheaper than the original.  You look great!!!!1

Originally Posted by hilly1gh 

Hi Everyone,

I tried it on again and below are the pictures.  I've decided I want several alterations done.  The dress is too big.  The corset is pulled all the way shut and I still have room.  I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker.  I'm going to ask a seamstress to shorten it to my size and then pull in the dress and shape it mermaid style, instead of the current A-line (the inspiration dress was mermaid, but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures).  I never asked Babyonline to put the dress on a mannequin for the pictures, so I never gave them feedback about the shape.  I have no idea what the alterations will cost; but I'm still really happy with the dress.  I paid $185 and I know if I had bought the $1000 "real" dress I would still need to pay for alterations - I'm just short and have no boobs (this dress helps conceal that!).  Oh and the place I tried on the "real" dress at is closed!  I drive by it every day.  There was no going out of business signs or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Imagine if I had ordered from them.  Oh the horror.

Rowe - had did your dress turn out?  Boxy like we were worried?

The lace and bead work on my dress is just beautiful!  Babyonline did a great job. The communication with them was a little rough.  Originally they priced the dress at $135, but when I gave them details of what I wanted and the fabric to use (Organza and swavorski crystals) they increased the price to $185.  They did this BEFORE making the dress and before I paid, and I agreed to the amount.  I'll post pictures after the alterations - but that might be a few months.

-Erin

Full View of Me.jpg

top of dress me.jpg

#3950 ericka417

ericka417
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 97 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Rowe

Your dress looks great.  I cant see anything that needs fixin so at least it is picture ready

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users