Jump to content

Photo

Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here


  • Please log in to reply
6405 replies to this topic

#1981 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
  • Sr. Member
  • 1,917 posts

    Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

    I really hope they offer to fix it. I sent her a message this morning, so we will see. I had ordered a BM dress too and it is completely horrible so I told her that as well. Maybe she didn't believe my measurements and added 4-6 inches to be safe?



    #1982 lisadias

    lisadias
    • Sr. Member
    • 1,116 posts

      Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

      oh I feel your pain! Why are they having such sizing issues over there? I know they are not use to our sizes but come on. The dress is very pretty and close to the original. Once altered I think it will look great. Considering what you paid for it, I would ask for half off and get the alterations done yourself in Canada. If she tells you she can't help you, open a dispute with dhgate. good luck!



      #1983 mochamakes3

      mochamakes3
      • Sr. Member
      • 1,917 posts

        Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

        I'm half asian so I even have a small frame. I guess my curvy hips threw them off? I really don't get it! Did you put in a dispute? I only have another 36 hours to dispute until dhGate pays them. I was going to order another dress from them, but now I am reconsidering.



        #1984 prettypigpig

        prettypigpig
        • Banned
        • 1,034 posts

          Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

          oh Mocha,

           

          I am sorry to hear that.  I guess once you alter it, it will look great.

          Considering the price they charge, I think it still comes cheaper than buying one in Canada..even after alternations.  I would get the alter done here, so you can communicate with your seamtress instead of sending the dress through another round of amazing race.

           

          It is strange, because all 3 dresses I ordered are with zipper, and they fit to the true size.  However, I have to admit that me and my BMs (a.k.a sisters) are all very skinny petites, and we got our measurements taken by a professional tailor.  However, they mixed up with the colors (one ordered pink and the other ordered turquoise), and since the dresses are 100% true size with no room for error or weight gain, my sisters can't just switch their dresses because one is 1.5 inches fatter at every spot and 3 inches taller), so Monica Bridal  offered me a discount on my next purchase.  My sisters will wear their wrong color dresses for xmas party.

           

          You can always ask them to see what they can do for your dress and your BM dress, but I probably won't sleep well at night if I ask 50% off (it is like trying to get a refund at a Dollar Store), because your dress definately looks like a good quality dress and worths more than $70.  Again, it is just my view/ moral standards and obviously not shared by everyone.

           


          Bonnie

          Married to Mr. El Khaiat on July 4th, 2011 @ Royal Playa Del Carmen


          #1985 badgergirl8

          badgergirl8
          • Newbie
          • 71 posts

            Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

            I agree with this poster to a certain degree.  I'd be very disappointed if the dress didn't fit too, BUT the dress itself isn't really made wrong or poorly, it does look like the picture and seems to be a nice dress, the proportions are right, it is just too big.  I do understand how the expectation would be that it fits considering you send your measurements in an effort to have a custom made dress, made to your size rather than ordering a standard size.  However, keep in mind that there is certainly a margin of error to be expected. 

             

            Even a more expensive dress may not fit right just based on paper measurements, when you have something custom made in person it involves multiple in-person fittings at various points in the creation process.  Unfortunately for the buyer and the dress maker/seller there is not that luxury when sewing based on measurements just written on paper.  Especially when the measurements were not taken by the person making the dress, if she cut the fabric or took the measurement of the garment just 1 inch higher or lower than where you measured your waist, hips, etc then the whole dress is going to be off.  Also, it may not be a safe assumption that you took your measurements perfect either.  There is simply no way to guarantee that the way you took your measurements is the exact way she did, like I said, she may have measured an inch higher or lower etc.  Doesn't make either of you wrong...simply a downfall of the internet process.

             

            I'm not at all disagreeing with your disappointment, BUT I do kind of feel that the dress maker held her end of the deal up, she made a beautiful dress for a really cheap price.  It would be a shame if she didn't get compensation for her time and materials when she really wasn't negligent per se. 

             

            I think as the buyer, we do have to assume a certain amount of risk and responsibility when getting our own measurements and emailing them and expecting a dress maker to sew a dress that fits like a glove with never having the opportunity to do a fitting or even the measurements themselves. I don't know that it means the seller did a bad job...unfortunately that is a risk, and in my opinion, a reasonable risk that falls to the buyer.
             

            Originally Posted by prettypigpig 

            oh Mocha,

             

            I am sorry to hear that.  I guess once you alter it, it will look great.

            Considering the price they charge, I think it still comes cheaper than buying one in Canada..even after alternations.  I would get the alter done here, so you can communicate with your seamtress instead of sending the dress through another round of amazing race.

             

            It is strange, because all 3 dresses I ordered are with zipper, and they fit to the true size.  However, I have to admit that me and my BMs (a.k.a sisters) are all very skinny petites, and we got our measurements taken by a professional tailor.  However, they mixed up with the colors (one ordered pink and the other ordered turquoise), and since the dresses are 100% true size with no room for error or weight gain, my sisters can't just switch their dresses because one is 1.5 inches fatter at every spot and 3 inches taller), so Monica Bridal  offered me a discount on my next purchase.  My sisters will wear their wrong color dresses for xmas party.

             

            You can always ask them to see what they can do for your dress and your BM dress, but I probably won't sleep well at night if I ask 50% off (it is like trying to get a refund at a Dollar Store), because your dress definately looks like a good quality dress and worths more than $70.  Again, it is just my view/ moral standards and obviously not shared by everyone.

             





            #1986 mochamakes3

            mochamakes3
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,917 posts

              Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

              It has been a common issue that the dresses are too large. Monica Bridal informed me that she measured the dress before sending, so I will compare my measurements against hers. I am really sad that it doesn't fit properly but I am pleased with the quality. However, I would be more understanding if there was a slight difference in the overall fit instead of such a huge difference. Even she admits that there must be a discrepancy somewhere.  I have raised a dispute because I am unhappy. We'll see how it can be resolved. I may take it to a seamstress this weekend for a quote to alter.



              #1987 Nan

              Nan
              • Member
              • 599 posts

                Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:36 AM



                Originally Posted by prettypigpig 

                 

                what time is ur wedding?  I went to Mexico in end of June this year for a site visit, and reschedule my ceremony from 4pm to 5pm, because it was still too hot at 4pm.  I also saw a wedding at 2pm on the beach, omg..the guests were like lobsters on BBQ.

                 

                 

                Quote:


                 

                You are funny prettypigpig!! Lobsters in BBQ!!! LOL I had to reschedule my ceremony to 6pm because of that too!


                Nan and Erik forever!!!

                #1988 kateddy

                kateddy
                • Newbie
                • 12 posts

                  Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

                  Hi ladies!!

                   

                   

                    This forum has been great to read, lots of good advise, has anyone used Duosheng? and what is your honest advice? Thanks again!!

                  Katherine



                  #1989 prettypigpig

                  prettypigpig
                  • Banned
                  • 1,034 posts

                    Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:40 PM


                    I contacted them, and love their site, it is like a complete catelog of all major wedding gown designers, plus they got shoes and bags.  You can also see their finished products pics.

                     

                    Communication was great, my feel is they are like the middle man, so they take the order and forward it to a factory to make them.  If you want a dress with no modification, they are good, except their price is usually higher (they have 2 price brackets, regular and nicer materials) the higher price is around topspartner's price. 

                     

                    I didn't went with Duosheng because I asked for too many stuffs on my dress, and they were unwilling to comply and take on the challenge.  Half of my family live in Australia, so I sometimes browse Aussie brides' forum too.  I remember I saw a thread on an Aussie forum only about Duosheng, and the reviews were good.

                     


                     

                    Originally Posted by kateddy 

                    Hi ladies!!

                     

                     

                      This forum has been great to read, lots of good advise, has anyone used Duosheng? and what is your honest advice? Thanks again!!

                    Katherine




                    Bonnie

                    Married to Mr. El Khaiat on July 4th, 2011 @ Royal Playa Del Carmen


                    #1990 prettypigpig

                    prettypigpig
                    • Banned
                    • 1,034 posts

                      Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:44 PM



                      LOL! Nan, it is funny as long as we are not those balding male guests with a buddha belly, who were trying to endure the whole 30-45 min of blah blah blah...

                       

                       

                      Quote:

                      Originally Posted by Nan 



                      You are funny prettypigpig!! Lobsters in BBQ!!! LOL I had to reschedule my ceremony to 6pm because of that too!




                      Bonnie

                      Married to Mr. El Khaiat on July 4th, 2011 @ Royal Playa Del Carmen





                      1 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users