OK I went to dress shopping with my bestfriend last w-e, I was exhausted, and came up with my 10 rules:
1) don't rely on poster/ ad pics unless you are 6ft tall, and size 2.
2) always try the diff style and color on you, because u don't really know what look the best until you try it on.
3) don't expect you will look like the model, unless again you are 6 ft tall and size 2
4) don't be afraid to ask...and try on different styles
5) most of the brand name dresses are from China, so don't overpay for a dress
6) don't take sales pressure
7) when you are size 14, it wasn't the dress who is too big or gives you a belly.
listen to your friends
9) don't go overbudget, as other guests don't care about ur dress anyway
10) go thru steps 1 to 9!