Jump to content
BajaBride2010

Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

I tried it on again and below are the pictures.  I've decided I want several alterations done.  The dress is too big.  The corset is pulled all the way shut and I still have room.  I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker.  I'm going to ask a seamstress to shorten it to my size and then pull in the dress and shape it mermaid style, instead of the current A-line (the inspiration dress was mermaid, but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures).  I never asked Babyonline to put the dress on a mannequin for the pictures, so I never gave them feedback about the shape.  I have no idea what the alterations will cost; but I'm still really happy with the dress.  I paid $185 and I know if I had bought the $1000 "real" dress I would still need to pay for alterations - I'm just short and have no boobs (this dress helps conceal that!).  Oh and the place I tried on the "real" dress at is closed!  I drive by it every day.  There was no going out of business signs or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Imagine if I had ordered from them.  Oh the horror.

 

Rowe - had did your dress turn out?  Boxy like we were worried?

 

The lace and bead work on my dress is just beautiful!  Babyonline did a great job. The communication with them was a little rough.  Originally they priced the dress at $135, but when I gave them details of what I wanted and the fabric to use (Organza and swavorski crystals) they increased the price to $185.  They did this BEFORE making the dress and before I paid, and I agreed to the amount.  I'll post pictures after the alterations - but that might be a few months.

-Erin

Full View of Me.jpg

top of dress me.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, my dress arrived from babyonline. Here it is!

 

dress bodice.jpg

 

dressglance.jpg

 

 

I am so happy  with it! It does need some alterations though:

 

dressissues.jpg

 

Its a little too big. I'm holding it snug in the back to keep a shape.

The pleats are not very secure

I think I'd like to see if a seamstress could remove the thick as hell lining in the bodice and replace it with a lighter fabric--not sure how much that would run me.

I'd like the bra cups removed. They're oddly close together and I'm not a fan in general.

It needs hemmed

It has a hella long train. I wanted a sweep train, but this thing is at least a foot if not more. Crazy long

 

So yeah, it needs some alterations. I was always prepared to spend a bit there though since the dress is a steal.

I'd also like to add some color too it. But I am soooo psyched! It turned out really well; I'd buy again!

 

Will post more photos after alterations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow thats pretty impressive! You look great.

 

Originally Posted by Rowe View Post

Alright, my dress arrived from babyonline. Here it is!

 

dress bodice.jpg

 

dressglance.jpg

 

 

I am so happy  with it! It does need some alterations though:

 

dressissues.jpg

 

Its a little too big. I'm holding it snug in the back to keep a shape.

The pleats are not very secure

I think I'd like to see if a seamstress could remove the thick as hell lining in the bodice and replace it with a lighter fabric--not sure how much that would run me.

I'd like the bra cups removed. They're oddly close together and I'm not a fan in general.

It needs hemmed

It has a hella long train. I wanted a sweep train, but this thing is at least a foot if not more. Crazy long

 

So yeah, it needs some alterations. I was always prepared to spend a bit there though since the dress is a steal.

I'd also like to add some color too it. But I am soooo psyched! It turned out really well; I'd buy again!

 

Will post more photos after alterations.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rowe - your dress is amazing!

 

I posted last night, but it went "under review".  Since the last post I wrote that went under review never made it to the forum, I thought I would just try to remember what I wrote...

 

I tried my dress on again and like Rowe, it is too big.  I had the corset back all the way closed and there was still room.  I want to make several alterations:  shorten length to my size, pull in at top and make the skirt more mermaid style rather than the current A-line.  My inspiration dress was mermaid-ish; but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures I sent Babyonline.  I also didn't ask them to put the dress on a mannequin, so I never gave them feedback about the skirt.  As for the size, I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker for that either.  Just like Rowe, I feel like I got the dress for a steal and even if I had bought the "real" dress for $1,000, I would have needed alterations (I'm just short and tiny up top).

 

BTW the dress store where I tried on the original "real" dress no longer exists!  I drive by it everyday.  There was no going out of business sign or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Can you imagine if I had purchased through them! Oh the horror!!

 

I'm going to post the pics of me trying it on again in a separate post - hopefully that will avoid the "review" process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the beading and lace work on my dress - I think Babyonline did an amazing job.  One more alteration: I want to shorten the train - sooooo long (but gorgeous!)

Full View of Me.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

Originally Posted by Rowe View Post

Alright, my dress arrived from babyonline. Here it is!

 

dress bodice.jpg

 

dressglance.jpg

 

 

I am so happy  with it! It does need some alterations though:

 

dressissues.jpg

 

Its a little too big. I'm holding it snug in the back to keep a shape.

The pleats are not very secure

I think I'd like to see if a seamstress could remove the thick as hell lining in the bodice and replace it with a lighter fabric--not sure how much that would run me.

I'd like the bra cups removed. They're oddly close together and I'm not a fan in general.

It needs hemmed

It has a hella long train. I wanted a sweep train, but this thing is at least a foot if not more. Crazy long

 

So yeah, it needs some alterations. I was always prepared to spend a bit there though since the dress is a steal.

I'd also like to add some color too it. But I am soooo psyched! It turned out really well; I'd buy again!

 

Will post more photos after alterations.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! How lucky that you didn't buy from the original store!

 

I bought the dress super early just in case it turned out terrible and I'd have to order the original after all. So my wedding is still a long way off, but I just want to get it altered now! Haha, I'm so impatient. I can at least take it into a store to see how much it would run me to have the various things done that I'd like done.

 

hilly1gh, babyonline must be a big fan of trains!

 

Originally Posted by hilly1gh View Post

Rowe - your dress is amazing!

 

I posted last night, but it went "under review".  Since the last post I wrote that went under review never made it to the forum, I thought I would just try to remember what I wrote...

 

I tried my dress on again and like Rowe, it is too big.  I had the corset back all the way closed and there was still room.  I want to make several alterations:  shorten length to my size, pull in at top and make the skirt more mermaid style rather than the current A-line.  My inspiration dress was mermaid-ish; but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures I sent Babyonline.  I also didn't ask them to put the dress on a mannequin, so I never gave them feedback about the skirt.  As for the size, I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker for that either.  Just like Rowe, I feel like I got the dress for a steal and even if I had bought the "real" dress for $1,000, I would have needed alterations (I'm just short and tiny up top).

 

BTW the dress store where I tried on the original "real" dress no longer exists!  I drive by it everyday.  There was no going out of business sign or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Can you imagine if I had purchased through them! Oh the horror!!

 

I'm going to post the pics of me trying it on again in a separate post - hopefully that will avoid the "review" process.



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The beading is great.  Even with all the alterations your dress will be cheaper than the original.  You look great!!!!1

Originally Posted by hilly1gh View Post

Hi Everyone,

 

I tried it on again and below are the pictures.  I've decided I want several alterations done.  The dress is too big.  The corset is pulled all the way shut and I still have room.  I measured myself instead of going to a professional, so I'm not going to blame the dressmaker.  I'm going to ask a seamstress to shorten it to my size and then pull in the dress and shape it mermaid style, instead of the current A-line (the inspiration dress was mermaid, but I think it was hard to tell from the pictures).  I never asked Babyonline to put the dress on a mannequin for the pictures, so I never gave them feedback about the shape.  I have no idea what the alterations will cost; but I'm still really happy with the dress.  I paid $185 and I know if I had bought the $1000 "real" dress I would still need to pay for alterations - I'm just short and have no boobs (this dress helps conceal that!).  Oh and the place I tried on the "real" dress at is closed!  I drive by it every day.  There was no going out of business signs or anything.  Just one day the store and everything in it were gone.  Imagine if I had ordered from them.  Oh the horror.

 

Rowe - had did your dress turn out?  Boxy like we were worried?

 

The lace and bead work on my dress is just beautiful!  Babyonline did a great job. The communication with them was a little rough.  Originally they priced the dress at $135, but when I gave them details of what I wanted and the fabric to use (Organza and swavorski crystals) they increased the price to $185.  They did this BEFORE making the dress and before I paid, and I agreed to the amount.  I'll post pictures after the alterations - but that might be a few months.

-Erin

Full View of Me.jpg

top of dress me.jpg



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×