Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

I said semi-illegal, because if you own two or more fake items, you can be brought down on trafficking charges, but the likelihood of a cop coming into your home when you're otherwise law abiding or a DA prosecuting you over this is slim to none.

If the knock-off seller is using a designer's photo, it's also violating copyright laws in addition to any trade dress laws. Many of the major bridal manufacturers police the internet for unauthorized photos. Maggie and Mon Cheri are vigilant with their designs and photos as are many other bridal manufacturers. If the original manufacturer finds a knock off of their design, they'll have the auctions taken off Ebay. If you ordered from that company, you risk NOT getting your gown or not getting the protection from Ebay on the sale.

It does not have to say the designer's name on it to infringe on the rights of the original designer. Walmart has been sued more than once by Adidas for selling non-Adidas brand shoes that look like Adidas.

As far as borrowing designs from other BDW brides, most of us give permission for you to use any original designs, because that's not our main source of income.

I agree with Jacilyn......I am not going to drop 1495.00 on a dress that I still have to have altered and wait months to get. First of all I have a short engagement so I don't have the time & we are building a house so I don't have the money. I am getting my dress custom made to my measurments which is a must because I am tall. I am not claiming to have a Maggie dress, but it will look similar. People by knock off coach bags all the time.....I don't see the big deal.

If the dress is unique enough that it would be recognizable as someone else's design and was created without the designer's permission, then I would consider a rip off of someone else's hard work and intellectual property. I, personally, am not ok with that as a consumer because I would not be ok with that if I were the designer.

Also, when dresses or purses or other goods are produced and distributed illegally, there is no protection for the consumer. It makes it very difficult to force someone to give you a product you paid money for or return a product for poor craftsmanship.

"The counterfeit business also takes billions away from legitimate companies. Industry and trade associations estimate that counterfeiting and piracy cost the U.S. economy up to $250 billion a year and a total of 750,000 jobs. About 5 percent of all merchandise sold worldwide is counterfeit, industry estimates show."

"The majority of these items are manufactured overseas, and they're imported or smuggled into the U.S.," he said. "The money generated by selling shoes, sunglasses and purses often funds more serious criminal activity," the agent said. "People involved in the narcotics trade or weapons trade or money laundering are in those trades to make money. They get involved in counterfeiting for the same reason," Wallrapp said.

Purse Parties Funding Organized Crime? - Irresistible Headlines News Story - KETV Omaha

According to the NY Times - "Some officials say that it has ties to organized crime, the drug trade and terrorism, and is a prime user of sweatshop labor." The Knockoff Squad - New York Times

Overall, I feel that market for knockoffs is detrimental to the economy, environment, and consumer and human rights. I invite all of you to research the subject more thoroughly to form your own conclusion. I agree that you don't need to drop several thousand to look beautiful on your wedding day, but it is possible to look great for cheap without buying knockoffs.

Honey, I'm not trying to pick a fight w/ you. Although I am defending myself and my choice on the dress I bought.

alot of what you are talking about is counterfeit, not knockoff. Which i explained the difference before. Alot of these designers, and the one I used actually make a dress similar to a picture and then post their work and not a pic of designer. Thats alot of the reason i chose her because I could see her work. In the US it is not illegal to buy or own counterfeit items, it is illegal to sell them within the US. This doesn't include knockoff items. Many higher end designers are trying to make it illegal for knockoff, but that will never happen. Even walmart gets there clothing ideas from current designs, cheaply makes them and sells them. If you couldn't buy knockoffs, people would be naked! Not everyone can afford high end designer clothes. Most aren't even sold in my state!

So really if you want to you can if you can have the designers, GREAT! But it is in no way illegal on your part.

Sorry, its just FI and FBIL are law enforcement, and I have a cousin who works for FBI. I just don't see things as semi-illegal, they either are or aren't and I try not to do anything illegal since its my family and it would hurt their careers.

• 1 month later...

My dress and my pics are of paramount importance to me. Now, having said that..I stillw ouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a damn dress. I haven't met a dress that I thought was worth more than 2K but that's just me lol...I think it's silly to pay that kind of money for something when you can undoubtedly find it's equivalent for less, but that's the bargain hunter in me.

So no..definitely nothing wrong with a knock off. Be careful, allow yourself PLENTY of time for unforseen problems/alterations and do your research on the company. Talk to actual brides who have worked with them, don't just rely on what they tell you. Even with feedback, try to contact some of the usernames on Ebay and see what they say about their experience. It's worth the extra effort.

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire723 go_quote.gif
I said semi-illegal, because if you own two or more fake items, you can be brought down on trafficking charges, but the likelihood of a cop coming into your home when you're otherwise law abiding or a DA prosecuting you over this is slim to none.

If the knock-off seller is using a designer's photo, it's also violating copyright laws in addition to any trade dress laws. Many of the major bridal manufacturers police the internet for unauthorized photos. Maggie and Mon Cheri are vigilant with their designs and photos as are many other bridal manufacturers. If the original manufacturer finds a knock off of their design, they'll have the auctions taken off Ebay. If you ordered from that company, you risk NOT getting your gown or not getting the protection from Ebay on the sale.

It does not have to say the designer's name on it to infringe on the rights of the original designer. Walmart has been sued more than once by Adidas for selling non-Adidas brand shoes that look like Adidas.

As far as borrowing designs from other BDW brides, most of us give permission for you to use any original designs, because that's not our main source of income.

Not to be argumentative, but Ebay isn't stupid. They are well aware of those overseas manufacturers and SO many of them have the photos from the designer's web site listed on their auctions. I think they still even have blurbs on Ebay about buying from overseas manufacturers, sort of a buyer beware since theres no guarantee you'll be happy with the product.

That is no reflection on you as a BUYER and you are not under legal constraints not to buy because they are in violation. You are simply a consumer....you aren't going around, advertising the gown as a Sottero, Provonias or anything else. It's all on them in terms of liability. I have to believe that if Ebay gave a crap, they would pull all of those who are running the photos. There's nothing wrong with saying "Similar to" or "Replica"...but the photos are misleading in a way and I do think it's wrong. They should just list them with the name of the style and the above wording. Too bad they don't.

I was always weary about these "knockoffs". The prices were great, but I was always so worried. Now that I have seen a few ladies' responses and other posts...I am thinking that I won't have to SETTLE for a cheap dress that I like so so...but rather have the dress of my dreams for under my initial budget.

I have never been a label girl...so to say I have a Vera Wang or Maggie is of no importance to me. I just want to feel incredible and not be broke...

As for ethics...well....if you can feel comfortable buying it an wearing it, than I don't see an issue as you know it is not THE real one. If you are uncomfortable, then don't do it.