Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

I've been lurking for a while (and wondering if my first post got eaten by the internet) and I've gotta say, I love this thread!  

Do you ladies have a suggestion on who would be better for making a gown made of silky-type material?  I've contacted Duosheng and Gianinar and both said they could do it (Gianinar is slightly cheaper), but the gown is very drapesy and flowy.  It's made from silk and probably organza (I'm guessing on the latter, since it's a sheer material).  Who would be better suited for this??

My turn.... I searched forever to find a simple white slip dress with no luck.  Finally I decided to have one made and selected Giananar as they were the cheapest ($80, no shipping).  They recommended chiffon as the fabric.  Here's the inspiration dress.

ttdslip1.jpg

Last week, I get a photo of the dress from Giananar saying they finished my dress.  It looks like this.

ttdslip.jpg

So I ask why it's shiny and not in chiffon as they stated they were going to make it and they wrote back "thanks for your email

sorry, we will put chiffon layer on it then send you the new photos"   Do you think it will look weird in the shiny fabric or will the chiffon cover it?  Right now it looks too much like a nightgown or real slip.    

Hello there...I found this dress on-line http://www.bridalweddingdresses.ca/wedding-dresses-2011/3292-satin-rouched-bodice-with-a-line-organza-skirt-2011-hot-sell-beach-zipper-strapless-sweetheart-wedding-dress-wm-0436.html for a destination wedding and love it but am hesitant to purchase from the company as they got pretty bad reviews.  Do any of you recognize the design/designer?  Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by imara11 View Post

GwenJen,

I ordered my dress with Babyonline.  It's a recplica of Maggie Sottero Fantasia with some small changes.  I went with Babyonline because overall, I felt they did a better job with making dresses.  I may just be very picky, but other dress makers I've seen just seem to having something off.  Either I didn't like how something was stitched, cut, or designed.  I had a coworker that ordered from Duosheng, and she loved her dress, but it was a very simple, which I figured must have been easy to make.  I have seen some of their work, and they seem to do a great job. They also seem to have great quality fabrics, but didn't trust them with the complexity of my dress.

I had requested a quote from Duosheng and found out they have several types of lace, but communicating with them was very difficult because I wanted a replica of Monique Lhuillier Magical which is actually a two-piece dress.  However, I wanted a top like this, but at the time I asked for the quote I hadn't decided on it yet. It was so difficult finding a picture of the skirt alone, but when I finally did, they still didn't really understand.  They quoted me almost 300 dlls for the skirt, and were insisting that I choose a top.  When I finally found that top I liked, I sent it to them and the price went up to just under 500.  I thought it was way too much, especially since the skirt isn't very detailed.

BTW, I've been looking for a jacket that would match my dress, but I'm having a very hard time. I also always wanted to wear a veil with a lace border, which again, doesn't match my dress.  I'm thinking of getting a second dress very similar to the one you like, but the inspiration is from Princess Grace's wedding dress.  I think I'm going to wait until I get my first dress, and if everything comes out good I'll order the second one which will be my conservative church ceremony dress. :)

Gracimurano, your dress is absolutely beautiful! Once again, I'm so happy to have ordered from babyonline.  :D 

i would be really interested to see the replica of the Fantasia. I actually ordered the authentic Fantasia for my wedding gown. Perhaps I will order a replica for my trash the dress. Please post pictures once you get your proofs! It's a hard skirt to replicate from what I have heard.

Originally Posted by sascolo View Post

My turn.... I searched forever to find a simple white slip dress with no luck.  Finally I decided to have one made and selected Giananar as they were the cheapest ($80, no shipping).  They recommended chiffon as the fabric.  Here's the inspiration dress.

ttdslip1.jpg

Last week, I get a photo of the dress from Giananar saying they finished my dress.  It looks like this.

ttdslip.jpg

So I ask why it's shiny and not in chiffon as they stated they were going to make it and they wrote back "thanks for your email

sorry, we will put chiffon layer on it then send you the new photos"   Do you think it will look weird in the shiny fabric or will the chiffon cover it?  Right now it looks too much like a nightgown or real slip.    

I am sure when they originally said chiffon, they probably meant chiffon with satin under...which is essentially what they did, minus the chiffon overlay. I am sure it will look much better once they place the chiffon over. Chiffon is very thin and usually is layered and layered so it makes total sense to have satin under as well.

I just ordered my bridesmaid dress from them as well. They are great at their communication which really eases my mind. They even allowed me to order 1 bridesmaid dress first. to see the quality, at the price of ordering 5. My bridesmaid dresses are primarily chiffon as well, with satin underneath. I do have to agree with prettypigpig that the original and the replica both do look like a slip so I don't think it's an issue of craftsmanship. I am sure the chiffon will help a lot, and how you accessorize =)

Hi everyone, it's really great that I found this thread and went through it last weekend. Like Bonnie, I am a Chinese-Canadian who spent half of my life here in Canada and earlier half in China. I actually didn't think of buying a knock off dress at the beginning. But when I first visited a bridal store in Toronto I was really pissed off because every sample dress was for someone size 10 and (more importantly) 6 ft tall. I am a really petite person (5ft tall) and doesn't really like the idea of high heels. So the sales person suggested me getting a simple empire waist dress and cutting off the bottom and I really hated that style. I became more angry when I found out David's bridal charged less for a regular sized dress than a petite dress same style. I mean, both regular and petite dresses come in standard sizes,so I don't believe it costs more to make a petite dress. So I decide not to be bullied by the designer lines and shop for a custom made dress.

Before I read this thread, I found several different companies offering "high-quality" custom made wedding dress. In terms of quality, I guess I am quite picky because I would like to have my wedding dress properly lined, sewed ,boned with quality material and I don't mind paying a bit more for a custom made. I found www.mybigfatbeautifulwedding.com, a small boutique ran by an American lady who actually has her partners in Chinese factory to make the dress. I think her dresses are beautifully designed and high-quality but they are a little bit more expensive than ordering directly from China (since the boutique owner has to make her money as well). I also heard about millybridal.com. I at first serious thought about ordering from them but I heard lots of horror stories (deadline goes indefinately postponed, poor workmanship to catch up deadline, poor customer service etc etc). Also they recently hick up their price so much to make it comparable to bigfatbeautifulweddingthatswck.gifI also personally dealed with storeofdress and buyer100. I don't like storeofdress because the service person was very pushy and always tried to make me choosing the more expensive options. I bought a cocktail dress and color swatch from buyer100 when it's on a sale. I've received the dress and I think the quality was good enough for a cocktail dress but not so for wedding gown (great material, well-structured bodice with 6 bones, properly lined but sewing was uneven). Then I saw all your ladies posting your beautiful knockoff dresses from other suppliers with better prices. But no one is taking picture from inside the bodice and underneath the skirt so I can't really tell the quality. I know you ladies may use the dress for different purposes like TTD so you are not as picky, but I really would like to have an idea. So can someone describe to me the quality of a dress from Monica or Gianinar? Thanks so much.