Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

Monique,

My little sister went to Beijing University for a chinese summer course, because my parents think that Mandarin will be the most important second language in 10 yrs.  She bought a XL size shirt for my FI as souvenir (my FI is a M size here). 

Therefore, I think the sizing in Asia is like this:

One size fits ALL = US size 00-4

Small= US size 00-2

Medium= US size 2-4

Large = US size 4-6

X Large = US size 6-8 (when I was a kid, there was only S-M-L, now they add XL to accomodate those rich and fat people)

Originally Posted by Monique View Post

You are so right...I have a friend who is Asian and makes clothing...she says that they only have 3 sizes back home....and that it's complex with all of the sizing here!  Who knew!

Karen- The dress looks great on you other than being too big and long which has been becoming a theme lol i agree with Bonnie that if you take out part from the bodice and shorten it will look even better. I think the fabric is very shinny and it looks way more expensive than what you paid for it!

It turned out great!  Sizing issues aside, of course lol.  What did your inspiration dress look like?

Originally Posted by Karen&Rene View Post

Ok, ladies.  I received my dress from Monica Bridal yesterday.  It appears to be well-made and arrived with no smell.  It fits well, but as others have said, it is a bit too big and too long.  The lace-up back is pulled tight almost all the way in order for it to fit right.  I also noticed some small marks on it; haven't tried to clean them yet so not sure if they'll come out.  I'm sure they're so small that only I would notice them.  Also, it is going to require some alterations... I think the neckline would need to be lowered and I think the fabric that comes across the bust looks a little funny.  Also, I would need to make some changes to the skirt, but not sure exactly how to make it look like the inspiration dress...  My first impression was that I was a little underwhelmed with it, but of course it was still worth the $150 I paid for it even if I just end up using it for the trash the dress.  I don't know... the longer I have it the more it is growing on me cheesy.gif

P1020119 - Copy.JPG

P1020120.JPG

Thank you!  I'm starting to look on Yelp for high rated seamstresses in Chicago... I'm just hoping not to spend more on alterations than the dress itself!

Originally Posted by m00sie View Post

Beautiful!

If you are getting alterations, a competent seamstress should be able to make the changes that you want at the same time :)

It looks fab on you!

Yeah, I know it's a little hard to tell with the white bed.  I was standing on the floor at first and it immediately attracted all the hair and dust bunnies... time to vacuum, lol.  I haven't gotten my shoes yet so I just told them to add two inches... I think it's about five inches too long.

Originally Posted by mochamakes3 View Post

Karen, I think you just need to take it to a good seamstress for alterations.  It is hard to tell though standing on a white bed. Do you have your shoes yet? Maybe it won't be so long?

Hmm... hadn't thought of shortening the bodice instead of the hem.  I'll look into it.  Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by prettypigpig View Post

Karen,

hmmm....I think it is easy to chop it shorter, because there is no lace or beadings.

Or you can reduce 6 inches from the hip area (i.e remove the 2 bottom layers of the bodice), once you lift the tail/bottom part higher, it will look gorgeous.

Thanks Lisa!  I'm definitely satisfied with the quality of the fabric.

Originally Posted by lisadias View Post

Karen- The dress looks great on you other than being too big and long which has been becoming a theme lol i agree with Bonnie that if you take out part from the bodice and shorten it will look even better. I think the fabric is very shinny and it looks way more expensive than what you paid for it!