Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

I guess there are a lot of reasons why we went for a Chinese dressmakers:

1) limited budget

2) Frugal, similar to limited budget, except the bride has the money but unwilling to spend that much on a dress

3) TTD, some brides have orignal designer dress for their wedding, and unwilling to dive it into the ocean and roll it on the sands

4) Second dress or AHR dress, bride already has her main dress, but wants more...afterall, this is the only occassion beside Halloween that a normal chick can wear big fat dresses without looking silly.

So far, dresses presented on this thread turned out to be very nice.

Big fat dresses...I love it.  I'm dyin' over here.   I prefer to say "dress up like a princess no matter the age and get away with it"  but whatever the description.   Not that there is anything wrong with buying a pre-owned dress.  That is frugal in it's own right, sometimes.  I think it's fantatstic.  Just not my choice.  That's what it comes down to I guess, personal choice.  That pretty much sums it up.

G

In my case, my fiance and i are paying for our wedding ourselves..with no one at all to help us out!! I have pricey taste and have been putting off  wedding dress shopping until i figured out a way i can pay for what will make me happy!! This is my answer..a dress made from china (well most of them are already made from china but you get what i mean, a dress made from china without the label in it).This is perfect for me...i can still enjoy going shopping for my dress like everyone else and now i dont have to worrry about whether its under a certain price because i can have it made for a very reasonable price. Plus, i plan on doing a ttd session and am going to use it for that too!! Perfect answer to all my worries!!

I am not trying to start a debate or anything. I say to each their own on what they decide to do. Honestly, I think all the dresses I have seen here are well made and as I guest, not a bride mind, I wouldn't know the difference of a Maggie or Vera Wang or whatever designer and it is a knock off. I don't remember seeing any gowns that looking cheap or of inferior quality. I think all of the ladies will look stunning on their day regardless if it is knock off or authentic designer piece of clothing. I am not really into labels as is so I really don't care for that aspect and this option is very affordable to say someone who wants that expensive gown but can't spend or justify spending that amount of money for a gown they will were for a couple of hours. I am not knocking anyone who has paid full price for an authentic gown in anyway but everyone's priorities are different based on their situation. I don't really feel anyone should knock another person for their reasonings for going buying a gown wether it be a knock off, the full price, from a trunk show or even used. I am sure the ladies have looked at all their options and chose what best work for them.

..... I was merely making a suggestion to present an alternative to any brides that were a bit apprehensive about buying from China, like me.

To answer some ones post earlier, alot of adverts state the dress has already been professionally cleaned, if not, they make allowances in the asking price of the dress. And as alot of brides aren't ordering custom made sizes from China because of the risk, they too will still have the cost of alterations. Also, If you search second hand dresses for your area it will be on your own currency so won't seem as pricey as when your looking at it through the exchange rate.

Whilst a few brides have been ecstatic about their China dresses (as you should be about your wedding dress), more have been unsure or have not liked it at all, which worries me. I was seriously considering buying from China, and whilst it is still an option, I think I'd prefer to try the second hand route first.

I just thought this way your getting the exact dress you wan't at near enough the same cost if not slightly more.

Congrats on your purchase Lisadias! I'm going away for work for the next couple months, so hopefully Monica Bridal will be able to deliver to a hotel without too much trouble. I went dress shopping again on the weekend and still can't find what I want so I think custom made is certainly my best option.

Sascolo,

You can always contact the dressmaker by email and ask if they can switch the fabric.  Usually, they won't mind, but you have to be 100% sure on what you want, and also the dress may look very different from the pics because of the change of fabrics.

Originally Posted by sascolo View Post

Has anyone chosen an entirely different fabric and if so, which company switched them.  It doesn't seem like light in the box does much custom changes.  For example, the dress I like is a satin but I want chiffon and think it would look better that way.

Beca i totally get what you are saying, i was one of those brides that almost went the knock off route but was soooo scared i wasn't going to like my dress for whatever reason. Well after searching i finally found someone who was selling my dress Sottero & Midgley because at the last minute she changed her mind about it. So i go a brand name never worn dress for $500 and yes i'll need to alter it but not much and for me I've found tailors that will alter it for very little so i can't complain about the cost of alterations, and no they aren't some no name tailors, they are well known in Chicago, so it's a win win. Now i can say  that i ordered a knock off for a BM dress from Monica Bridal and it turned out FAB!!! Soo, my rehearsal dress will be from them :)

Originally Posted by BecaJ View Post

..... I was merely making a suggestion to present an alternative to any brides that were a bit apprehensive about buying from China, like me.

To answer some ones post earlier, alot of adverts state the dress has already been professionally cleaned, if not, they make allowances in the asking price of the dress. And as alot of brides aren't ordering custom made sizes from China because of the risk, they too will still have the cost of alterations. Also, If you search second hand dresses for your area it will be on your own currency so won't seem as pricey as when your looking at it through the exchange rate.

Whilst a few brides have been ecstatic about their China dresses (as you should be about your wedding dress), more have been unsure or have not liked it at all, which worries me. I was seriously considering buying from China, and whilst it is still an option, I think I'd prefer to try the second hand route first.

I just thought this way your getting the exact dress you wan't at near enough the same cost if not slightly more.