oh tough one. i would wait until you send the invites out, that's a pretty clear sign. if people still mention it, say that you'd love them to come, how exciting, but that you have a limited package, but they could always come and see the ceremony and meet you after your meal for celebration drinks? that way they'll still feel invited?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone!

This is a great idea. My fiance and I got engaged in october right after our thanksgiving in canada. We are getting married at the Riu palace on Paradise Island Bahamas. Our date is Nov 27th/10 at 2pm on the beach. We were very lucky that the resort had pricing already. We still dont know when we fly out because the airline is not set up for that until the spring sad.gif but I am hoping to fly out in the morning so that we can be there in the afternoon :)

Our save the dates just went out. so far there is just the people who were generous enough to place thier deposits for the booking so no one has invited themselves. I would hope that they wont if they have not recieved a s.t.d. We did have to tell my brother that we did not want his girlfriend there though. He hasnt told her yet and she is coming to christmas. so that could be scary!

I agree with woodslylou, if someone invited themselves, I would say they can watch the ceremony but they will not be going to my reception. I have a tight budget too, and most packages come with a set amount of guests. so if there is no room they will have to meet up with those invited later.

sometimes you have to be mean. it sucks though.

good luck!

I too had to deal with this problem of people inviting themselves. We also had to tell our single guests that they couldn't just "bring" someone, as our package only has room for 20 guests. Usually when you explain that you only have room for 20, and that you aren't even inviting children who are related to you (as was my case), because of the lack of room, they understand. I let my guests know that they are more than welcome to bring their children/friends, etc, to the resort, and they can join us for drinks afterward, but the wedding is only for the 20 invited. It's hard but the way I see it, it's your day, and so you should have people you really care about around you. When I was sending my invites, I would pose this question to myself - Is this one of my top 20 friends and family? If the answer was yes, then they got an invite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsylou View Post
how come some of you have a limit on guests btw? if you have more do you then have to start paying like a 'by head' basis?
I have a 20 limit because I have a package that is for 20 guests. Anything over 20 I have to pay per head for food, champagne, extra chairs at the ceremony, extra cake, etc. That seems silly to me because they are already paying to be at an all-inclusive. So I'm trying to keep around the 20 mark. Also I like having a very small intimate ceremony and reception so the 20 cap works for me! :)

I've had that problem too, but not to the degree of some of you. I'm a pretty sarcastic person so all I say in reply is "Hey, if you happen to be taking a Mexico vacation at the same time as I get married I can't do anything about that." I haven't had to, as of yet, actually uninvite anyone that has invited themselves.

On another note, I am booking Claudia Rodriguez for my photos and was wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences with her? So far the communication process is slow going, I'm still waiting for her to send me the link so that I can put our deposit down!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmand View Post
I've had that problem too, but not to the degree of some of you. I'm a pretty sarcastic person so all I say in reply is "Hey, if you happen to be taking a Mexico vacation at the same time as I get married I can't do anything about that." I haven't had to, as of yet, actually uninvite anyone that has invited themselves.

On another note, I am booking Claudia Rodriguez for my photos and was wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences with her? So far the communication process is slow going, I'm still waiting for her to send me the link so that I can put our deposit down!!
I've ONLY heard glowing reviews about her and her photos speak for themselves, truly amazing! Great choice :)

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's been stressing me out a little, even one of my BM's did it to me by inviting her EX-husband.. how odd is that??!! Anyhow, I'm going to stop freaking about it and wait until we can put the deposit down to see who is actually committed to going.