Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenHeart View Post
I'm suprised at how many of our mom's aren't coming or can't save etc. My mom told me she couldn't afford it and then when I came back at her offering to pay for her and my brother to come out, she says "I'm afraid to fly".... Kinda sounds like a dis to me.

It sucks but I'm not going to let it stop me from having the time of my life, if she WANTED to come, she'd come.

Good luck to the rest of you ladies, at lease we know we're not alone in this issue.
In my case it's my sister. I knew from the beginning my mother and father would not be able to make it to Mexico. My sister, however, was "wherever you decide to go, I'll be there!" Even up to the day I booked the trip this was her claim. The day AFTER I put the deposit on the trip, she calls and says she can't afford to go. So, my FI and I decided to pay for her to come. And guess what, she still says she can't go, her husband didn't want to come to Mexico and he doesn't want her to travel alone. I explained to her that she would not be traveling alone, she would be flying with us and our 1st cousin who is like a sister to us, and that she could stay with my FI's mom who is traveling alone, or with some friends or family that are coming. I feel like I have done all I can to ensure a safe and cost free trip for her and she still is turning me down. Honestly, I think it has more to do with her husband than all the excuses she gave me, but I can't help being hurt that she did an about face seemingly over night!!! I haven't talked to her in a week because I really don't know what exactly to say. My family keeps calling me saying I should call my sister, but is it really my responsibility to make her feel better about backing out on me. (she was not only the MOH but was doing the hair for me and the 2 other bridesmaids)! Did I mention she didn't even call me to tell me she wasn't going to accept my offer to pay, she TEXT me the refusal!!!! Sorry about the ranting, but I'm just hurt right now...smile27.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by MObride09 View Post
In my case it's my sister. I knew from the beginning my mother and father would not be able to make it to Mexico. My sister, however, was "wherever you decide to go, I'll be there!" Even up to the day I booked the trip this was her claim. The day AFTER I put the deposit on the trip, she calls and says she can't afford to go. So, my FI and I decided to pay for her to come. And guess what, she still says she can't go, her husband didn't want to come to Mexico and he doesn't want her to travel alone. I explained to her that she would not be traveling alone, she would be flying with us and our 1st cousin who is like a sister to us, and that she could stay with my FI's mom who is traveling alone, or with some friends or family that are coming. I feel like I have done all I can to ensure a safe and cost free trip for her and she still is turning me down. Honestly, I think it has more to do with her husband than all the excuses she gave me, but I can't help being hurt that she did an about face seemingly over night!!! I haven't talked to her in a week because I really don't know what exactly to say. My family keeps calling me saying I should call my sister, but is it really my responsibility to make her feel better about backing out on me. (she was not only the MOH but was doing the hair for me and the 2 other bridesmaids)! Did I mention she didn't even call me to tell me she wasn't going to accept my offer to pay, she TEXT me the refusal!!!! Sorry about the ranting, but I'm just hurt right now...smile27.gif
OMG... that really sucks. Your wedding is not for 8 months! You even asked her to be your MOH! How old is she? Is she older than you?

Weird question but what was her wedding like? Maybe she is jealous you are getting married in a tropical place.

That is terrible! If your mom and dad can't go, your sister should be there! No if's, and's or but's! You are paying for her way, what more can she ask for?

I'm sorry this is happening to you at such a exciting time in your life! Keep your chin up and try and stay positive. Maybe she'll turn around.

~ Erica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ladies!

 

I'm a 2010 bride too!

 

May 28,2010 at Dreams Puerto Aventuras

 

I haven't had any problems with immediate family (mom, dad, sisters) but we've had a lot of people who were saying "oh yeah we will definetly come" and now we're booking and all of a sudden its like..."oh... maybe we wont come"

I just find it frustrating that people who say that they will come back out when it comes down to it....

:) -- I'm just trying not to stress...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

February 25, 2010 Dreams Puerto Aventuras, I think we have 20 booked including ourselves. Hopefully a few more of our friends will come as thats mostly family, my FI's. Not stressed at all...... yet. LOL. This forum has been amazingly helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and congrats to all 2010 brides!! Im getting married March 6, 2010 in Bahamas. Im still trying to get used to the website! Love all the info thats on here!!

 

 

Quick question....how do you all get those count downs on your profile or all the nice pictureson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, getting married April 13, 2010 in the Cayman Islands. Taking an Exotic Western Caribbean cruise on Carnival Legend so it'll be our wedding/honeymoon :) Glad to see so many 2010 weddings to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyer2010 View Post
OMG... that really sucks. Your wedding is not for 8 months! You even asked her to be your MOH! How old is she? Is she older than you?

Weird question but what was her wedding like? Maybe she is jealous you are getting married in a tropical place.

That is terrible! If your mom and dad can't go, your sister should be there! No if's, and's or but's! You are paying for her way, what more can she ask for?

I'm sorry this is happening to you at such a exciting time in your life! Keep your chin up and try and stay positive. Maybe she'll turn around.

~ Erica
Thanks for the kind words Erica. :) I've been trying to stay positive, but it's been really difficult. She's my only sister, younger by 3 years. She married 5 years ago and had a nice ceremony at home. I really think it has to do more with a "controlling" husband than her not really wanting to be there. But tonight she texted me again and pretty much let me have it for having a wedding away from home where more of my family would not be able to attend. Pretty much called me selfish for having a destination wedding and forcing her to choose between me and her husband!!!!!
I didn't want this to come between us, but I'm not the one forcing her to choose! I simply want her there and am willing to pay for her to be there !!! I feel like if it was so important for her, as she told me it was originally, then she would accept the offer, no questions asked!!!!
So,I guess I'll just keep planning... and try to not let it get me down... and like you said, maybe she'll turn around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by MObride09 View Post
Thanks for the kind words Erica. :) I've been trying to stay positive, but it's been really difficult. She's my only sister, younger by 3 years. She married 5 years ago and had a nice ceremony at home. I really think it has to do more with a "controlling" husband than her not really wanting to be there. But tonight she texted me again and pretty much let me have it for having a wedding away from home where more of my family would not be able to attend. Pretty much called me selfish for having a destination wedding and forcing her to choose between me and her husband!!!!!
I didn't want this to come between us, but I'm not the one forcing her to choose! I simply want her there and am willing to pay for her to be there !!! I feel like if it was so important for her, as she told me it was originally, then she would accept the offer, no questions asked!!!!
So,I guess I'll just keep planning... and try to not let it get me down... and like you said, maybe she'll turn around.
I really feel for you because I went through the same thing! It's really hard to enjoy your engagement and wedding planning when a wrench has been thrown into the situation.
She is your only sister! Wow, what do you think her husband has an issue with? Staying in a room by herself? Why wouldn't he come too? Even if they just came for a few days?
We have some guests only staying for 3-4 days. The most important day is our wedding day so as long as our family/guests are there for that we are okay with that.

Sisterly love is very deep. I think she will have a change of heart but it may take some time. It sounds like she is really bitter right now. How long has she known you were having a DW? Have you thought about writing her a letter telling her how much it would mean to have you there. I did the same thing for my little sister b/c she is my MOH too. It made a world of difference!!!

Stay focused on the exciting parts of wedding planning and please keep us posted... we will be your support system for sure!!!

Take Care!!

~ Erica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbride3610 View Post
Hello and congrats to all 2010 brides!! Im getting married March 6, 2010 in Bahamas. Im still trying to get used to the website! Love all the info thats on here!!


Quick question....how do you all get those count downs on your profile or all the nice pictureson?
Hello and welcome all 2010 brides!!!

If you need help making your siggy/ticker please see this link.

http://bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/t1489

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are very early in the planning stages & have so many friends that claim "they are coming for sure!" It's hard to imagine most of them actually showing up, but at least they are excited for us. We have a large circle of friends & we all love to party..so the more the better!

Honestly though...as long as my fiance shows up & I look great, what more could a girl ask for?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×