Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Congratulations to everyone on their engagements! Marriage I can do.... now I am just hoping I can survive the planning process..

My fiancee and I are hoping to get married the first week of July, 2010 (we are teachers... need to go during the summer) on the Mayan Riviera. We are pretty overwhelmed right now trying to pick a resort. We are currently looking into the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum/Akumel/Coba. Has anyone had experience with this resort?

Also, we are trying to get a travel agent or someone to help us. Has anyone here used destinationweddings.com? It seems like a pretty full service website, they act as a travel agent, booking flights for you and your guests, coordinating with the resort, and setting up a wedding website. We are thinking of using them because we really want someone who knows what they are doing to help us.

Any thoughts?
Hello Lou and Fellow Vancouver-ite!

I've been using Marissa Bauzon at Flight Center - Fairview in Vancouver. She's had some experiences with DW before and is getting a ton more experience through mine, as I'm getting married in Feb 2010, so I'm sure she can answer alot of your questions. However, that destination weddings website sounds AMAZING because of the fact that they co-ordinate with the resorts, etc. That is a lot of work to do on your own, so if you can afford it I would get someone to do it for you and just sit back and relax!

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Lou,

Congrats! I'm getting married at GBP Tulum in January, and so far the planning has been really positive.

I'm using a really great travel agent who's done all the legwork for me. My guests can RSVP with her, and she sends me updated guest lists. She even did the initial correspondence with the wedding coordinator, and then put me in touch with the WC, who has been prompt and helpful.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Bride-chill-a and Joss!

Joss, did you just find a local travel agent in The Peg? Or are they part of a big company like flight centre. I am still hoping to find one who has lots of experience with DW's.

Bride-chill-a, thanks for the tip about marissa at Flight Centre, unfortunately I had a horrible experience with them a couple of years ago and I am still maintaining my own personal boycott.... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Thanks Bride-chill-a and Joss!

Joss, did you just find a local travel agent in The Peg? Or are they part of a big company like flight centre. I am still hoping to find one who has lots of experience with DW's.

Bride-chill-a, thanks for the tip about marissa at Flight Centre, unfortunately I had a horrible experience with them a couple of years ago and I am still maintaining my own personal boycott.... :)
Stick to your guns girl! You're smart to be looking into things a little further. I wish I had and found someone that would take care of more details because it's a ton of work!

Lou, my travel agent is local. She does work through a larger company called TPI worldwide. I ended up working with her because she helped organize a friend's DW the year before, and my friend couldn't rave enough about her. She's been great so far. I can pass on her information if you like.

hi ladies,

its nice to hear from other brides for 2010.

me and my h2b get married 15th feb 2010 @ riu palace riviera maya.there is just us and our 2 best friends then we are having a big ahr on 6th march.

i freaked out a little this week thinking did i book too quickly.we booked the resort as our ta had stayed there and said how fab it was.i had,nt done any research or anything.but i went on tripadvisor for 300th time and that put my mind at rest.i don,t know why i did it we booked back in february?

how far have you guys got planning wise?

i have found my dress and go for fitting in dec.booked ahr venue, we are having a mexican theme party.in process of getting quotes back for photographer for ahr and boudoir book.bought lots of bikinis thats about it.

next month im going to buy shoes and cake topper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellk View Post
hi ladies,
its nice to hear from other brides for 2010.

me and my h2b get married 15th feb 2010 @ riu palace riviera maya.there is just us and our 2 best friends then we are having a big ahr on 6th march.

i freaked out a little this week thinking did i book too quickly.we booked the resort as our ta had stayed there and said how fab it was.i had,nt done any research or anything.but i went on tripadvisor for 300th time and that put my mind at rest.i don,t know why i did it we booked back in february?

how far have you guys got planning wise?

i have found my dress and go for fitting in dec.booked ahr venue, we are having a mexican theme party.in process of getting quotes back for photographer for ahr and boudoir book.bought lots of bikinis thats about it.

next month im going to buy shoes and cake topper.
Hiya ShellK, nice to see a fellow "BRIT". We are getting married 26th March 2010 at Dreams Tulum. We also booked early ( 2008 ) and every day I tell myself if we'd waited we'd have found a better deal, gone with a different travel agent, decided on a different venue etc... but the truth is Im pretty sorted with my planning but still freaking out so if I hadnt sorted myself out early I'd be even more stressed at this stage. shots.gif

So far I've designed and launched my wedding website, chosen my dress and found a dressmaker, sent out STD'S, designed but not printed my boarding pass invites and Hubby 2 b has bought his suit.

Out of curiosity how have you found your booking experience? We went with Thomas Cook cos they were the best price by far at the time but to be honest I think they are actually really pricey and couldnt care less about our wedding. Our TA is not getting involved at all with any of our wedding plans, they wont even help us get our official paperwork in order cos we didnt book the wedding direct with them... even though we qualify for the free package so we wouldnt have had to pay them anything for the wedding anyway!!

Hope your experience this far has gone well. Good luck for the rest of the planning.

I am a teacher too so it has to be the summer. I want Moon Palace in July or August and I am so excited!!!! I see they have the new packages up for 2010. One type is $1925 and the other is $2300The only difference is the soloist during the ceremony... I am wondering if I want the color green but without the soloist can it be the same price as the blue package.

I like that the blue package has the seashells with the crystal base as decoration during the ceremony, but green is my favorite color. It seems silly to waste an additional $400 on a soloist, unless there was something else that I missed that was included! anyone else have thoughts on the new packages?