• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I'm new here, and just recently started to plan my DW. We got engaged on December 19th 2009, and since then it has been quite overwhelming!!

We just got back from talking to our TA yesterday and have narrowed it down to either the Moon Palace or the Barcelo Maya Palace. Anyone have are suggestions or advice on either one of these two?

Right now we are looking at having our day on Feb. 23 2010. Thank you so much for making this thread I having been getting VERY discouraged lately and feel totally lost on where to start!

Thank you all for any help you have!

Ashley

Quote:
Hi I'm new here, and just recently started to plan my DW. We got engaged on December 19th 2009, and since then it has been quite overwhelming!!
We just got back from talking to our TA yesterday and have narrowed it down to either the Moon Palace or the Barcelo Maya Palace. Anyone have are suggestions or advice on either one of these two?
Right now we are looking at having our day on Feb. 23 2010. Thank you so much for making this thread I having been getting VERY discouraged lately and feel totally lost on where to start!
Ashley
Hi Ashley,

I'm a 2010 bride too. I like the Barcelo Maya and I have chosen it as my destination for a few reasons.

1.) I've been there many times back when they only had the Beach and Caribe and my parents go twice a year for a week and have stayed at all the resorts now (beach, caribe, colonial, tropical and the palace). I am going with my family this May for a site visit with my fiance too so I can check everything out.
2.) I like that the Barcelo has 5 different resorts and price ranges. If you want guests to come this resort gives you options and your guests options of where they want to stay and how much they want to spend. I am planning on staying at the Palace but I can still use all the other resorts so I can spend time with guests but still have the privacy and higher end experience for my honeymoon.
3.) Palace upgrades you to top shelf liquor and unlimited visits to ala carte restaurants, plus you can use the beautiful gazebo for your wedding. Added bonus = :o)
4.) The beaches at the Barcelo are one of the nicest in the area!

I don't know much about Moon Palace so I am biased, but I do know Moon Palace is more expensive and for that reason alone I liked the Barcelo better because I want people to come and not overly burden them. There is a great site UNOFFICIAL BARCELO MAYA | Your unofficial guide to Beach | Caribe | Tropical | Colonial | Palace that has information regarding weddings at the Barcelo and a message board for brides about weddings. Check it out for more info. Good luck on making your decision...it's a tough choice but I'm sure you will be happy either way. If you do choose the Barcelo and have any questions I'd be happy to ask them when I go in May. Just PM me!

Hi Everyone, I am new here and also a 2010 bride. We just recently got engaged in December 2008. We have the resort picked-Secrets Maroma Beach but just not the date yet. We really wanted to do February 2010 but the rates were just too high at the resort, so I think we are planning on November 2010 now. Its good to know that there are a lot of other brides going through the same things as you :)

Has anyone else noticed a big price difference for their resorts because of the seasons? The prices for our resort for November are about half the cost of the rooms in February.

Happy Planning Everyone :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash H View Post
Ashley
I can tell you why I chose Moon Palace despite it being expensive:
1) We are planning a big at-home-reception and not having one with our destination wedding. MP allows for everyone in our party to be able to have sit-down dinner together after the ceremony.
2) Moon Palace has a large (not packed in together like some resorts) beach for our wedding ceremony.
3) Free excursions (with a 3-night stay) that provide transporation and meals. We plan to have our whole wedding party go to the Tulum Ruins together. I also plan to do an optional snorkeling trip with the bride. This way we don't have to worry about tour companies, transportation, or food.
4) They have a free wedding package I can add the things I want to rather than having to pay thousands of dollars for a ceremony full of options I do not want, need, or care about.
5) If you have enough people stay at the resort you get free additions to your wedding package. We will probably have about 10-15 rooms which entitles us to a free cocktail hour.
6) I always do everything I can in life as cheaply as possible, so for once, I'd like to do something nice for myself, like have a wedding at a 5-star resort despite it costing quite a bit.

Hi and congrats to all. I am a 2010 bride as well! 7/11/10 is the date we're going for and we're looking at the Me Cancun and Le Meridien in Cancun, Mexico. Those 2 resorts haven't been popular on this site for weddings but that doesn't deter me. We toured the Me Cancun in November 08 and my FH loves the look of the hotel. It's not particularly a "kid-friendly" place but there will only be about 5 children and there's always the beach available if the pool if too crazy.

Then I saw pictures of Le Meridien in a magazine and looked them up, and the gazebo for ceremonies is gorgeous. I'm waiting to hear back from the coordinator on availability and packages.

Neither of these hotels are all inclusive. I'm not an all-inclusive girl, and I don't want to lock my guests into some outrageous prices. I want them to have options on pricing, food, activities, etc. We're expecting a good amount of people as well (about 75).

We haven't signed contract yet, I was hoping to do that by May and send STDs in July. We are going back to visit and check up on everything in August also.

I am also a 2010 bride and glad to know that I'm not alone. We are planning a summer wedding in possibly Negril or Montego Bay. I am stuck between MoBay's convenience for guests to the airport and Negril's untouched beauty. Those closest to me always tell me to stop thinking about satisfying others for a change and do what I want to do. It's hard when I looking out for their convenience price and travel wise without sacrificing a nice and safe hotel. I am loving the Rockhouse in Negril but they are not hosting a wedding on July 3 so I might have to change the date. Any insight on other hotels in the area or reasonable airport transfer services? ---Let's vent together!!!

-Carla

Quote:
Originally Posted by southparkhou View Post
I am also a 2010 bride and glad to know that I'm not alone. We are planning a summer wedding in possibly Negril or Montego Bay. I am stuck between MoBay's convenience for guests to the airport and Negril's untouched beauty. Those closest to me always tell me to stop thinking about satisfying others for a change and do what I want to do. It's hard when I looking out for their convenience price and travel wise without sacrificing a nice and safe hotel. I am loving the Rockhouse in Negril but they are not hosting a wedding on July 3 so I might have to change the date. Any insight on other hotels in the area or reasonable airport transfer services? ---Let's vent together!!!
-Carla

My wedding date *fingers crossed* is July 3rd, 2010 too!! I'm hoping sandals is offering this day- good luck!