Photo

Filipino Wedding traditions during beach wedding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaryS

MaryS
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I was wondering if there are any filipino brides on here that will be incorporating any of the filipino wedding traditions in their wedding?
    I was thinking of doing the coins, cord and veil.

What are your thoughts
    WE ARE MARRIED!!

#2 Leia78

Leia78
    • VIP Member
    • 2,459 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hi Mary! I'm filipino and was thinking of doing this too, but the officiant that I had at Dreams suggested that if I do include them, the ceremony would be a bit long. It was so hot that day, that I'm glad our ceremony didn't go beyond 30 min. I don't have any regrets I didn't do the cord, coin and veil tradition. I wrote our ceremony and we each wrote our own vows, so it was very special and meaningful all the same. Hope this helps!

#3 Ginalyn

Ginalyn
      • 2,754 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

My FI and I are thinking about doing the coins. Although my FI is not Filipino he will be wearing a barong tagalog as will both our fathers and best man

#4 MarieSam

MarieSam
        • VIP Member
        • 2,336 posts
          • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Fellow Filipina bride here

We are not really infusing any of the Filipino traditions into the wedding, but rather embracing the local traditions in the Cancun/RM area and having a Mayan Cosmic wedding, which from what I've been told is extremely spiritual, emotional and very unique

My parents, both of whom migrated from PI, have really assimilated to the westernized culture, except for of course the obsessive need to feed everyone who walks through our door till their beyond stuffed, having a "party" for no reason at all, eating rice and fish religiously, and doing the rosary for every occasion imaginable, etc., etc., lol

They were not too happy about us not having a Catholic ceremony at first, but knew I really had my heart set on a beach ceremony -- plus FI is not Catholic nor is he Filipino. So my parents are happy with the fact that the Mayan Cosmic ceremony carries a lot of spiritual meaning. We will also end up getting our marriage blessed by the Church when we get back home.

The one thing we have brought in Filipino-wise -- is asking some couples to be our "sponsors", but moreso like Godparents to our marriage without the financial obligations, responsibilities, etc. Three couples on my side, and three couples on FI's side, and each couple will have a part in the cermony. We're pretty excited about that because they are all couples that we love and adore, and of course have great marriages that we hope to emulate!!

#5 Pnay_QT77

Pnay_QT77
          • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hi Mary! It would be really great to incorporate some of the Filipino tradition in the ceremony to keep those customs/traditions alive. Unfortunately in my case, I only have an hour at the ceremony site. Incorporating the coins, cord and veil might push us over the time limit. I am kind of bummed about it but we'll just have to do without it. Good luck!

#6 calchik

calchik
            • 166 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

i considered incorporating the traditions at my beach wedding but i'm not. my parents said it was more a religious thing and would be more appropriate in a church wedding. if my parents approved i would have totally done it. i think it'd be a nice way to incorporate our culture. you should go for it if it works with your ceremony.

i am having godparents on my invitations for my AHR. we're considering doing the money dance but my FI isn't flipino and i'm not sure all the guests would understand it...or even worse be offended by it

#7 MaryS

MaryS
              • 313 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

Thanks everyone for you feedback. I know for sure I am going to do the coins. But I think I should find out from my WC it there is time for the cord and veil. Haha totally didn't even think about the time.
                WE ARE MARRIED!!

#8 EmenGeeRoxx

EmenGeeRoxx
                • 279 posts
                • Wedding Date:January 19, 2010

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

Groom here...we are doing it in a chapel and bringing our own deacon down and we are doing the coin, chord, veil thing.

#9 ange0223

ange0223
                • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi I'm a Filipino bride and I think we are going to try to incorporate the veil, chord and coins into our wedding, but I still need to talk to my WC to see if that is possible. One of my friends who is also Filipino and got married on the beach incorporated the veil and chord into their ceremony and it worked well! Where are you getting married?

#10 MaryS

MaryS
                  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

I talk to my WC and she that we will be able to do all three. Which I am glad because my grandma went to the Philippines and brought me me back coins, a veil and cord. I am getting married in PV at the Mayan Palace

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ange0223
                    Hi I'm a Filipino bride and I think we are going to try to incorporate the veil, chord and coins into our wedding, but I still need to talk to my WC to see if that is possible. One of my friends who is also Filipino and got married on the beach incorporated the veil and chord into their ceremony and it worked well! Where are you getting married?

WE ARE MARRIED!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users