42 replies to this topic

#31 tvt

tvt
  • VIP Member
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amyh
    WOW~ you guys have mulah! we generally give about a $60 gift. Now I really sound cheap! There is no way to afford that much for a gift. (I am turning really red right now!)
    I'm with you!! I'm feeling totally cheap right now! I was doing 150-200 for my close friends and more like 75-100 for random people.

#32 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

glenda - you better start saving if you're crashing all of our weddings! lol

i actually don't expect gifts from anyone, we weren't even going to register (until we were told we should, some people will want a registry!). anyway, i hadn't planned on getting any gifts, and i think will be surprised if we get any. maybe from those people that can't come, i guess.

as for in town weddings, i am in my good friends wedding in a couple weeks, and i think i got her a $100 gift off of her registry from Paul and I.

#33 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
      • 4,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

Ya, Ann - I agree with you. I don't expect anything from my guests I won't register. We might open a savings account in our name for a down payment on a house or something, but I wouldn't be upset if that didn't have any contributions from my guests.
        Happily Married since May 9, 2008
        Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#34 BayBug

BayBug
        • 852 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Okay! So I am really late on this, but I am the cheapest person this forum. I always buy off the registry and I try to pick the cheapest thing on there and if I can find a coupon for that store even better. I have never given cash as a gift at any wedding. We have 2 weddings this year and I have no idea how I am going to buy them a gift and put on my own wedding. Ughhhh!!!!
          Angie

#35 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
          • 5,248 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

Okay so I just asked my co-workers their opinion on this. Most of them said that if it was a family member they would give more. A lot of them had the mentality that if someone is having a pricier wedding they should get more than someone having a more affordable wedding. Their majority opinion was that anywhere from $200-$400 per couple is okay. So I guess if I give $300 I should be okay. They also said that if I don't go to the wedding then it would be okay to send $50-$75 as a gift. Thanks guys for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.

-Glenda

#36 gkashmira

gkashmira
            • 1,962 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

I have to say I am more of the $100 to $150 per couple. But I can tell you that so far we have received one gift from my parent's friends and it was for $250. People have also bought off our registry and seem to spend about $150.

Wow, I had no idea we had to give so much! The one wedding where I did give $$ (see above0 was a destination wedding in the Bahamas - I don't think I could have afforded to give more.

If people gave us $100 I would consider that a generous gift from friends.
              Kashmira & Dan
              Happily married since June 16, 2007
              http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
              Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
              Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#37 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
              • 5,248 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Kash most bridal shower and engagement parties I go to I give a $75-$100 gift (depending on whether they are a close friend or not) so you getting $150 gift from your registry sounds like what is average here.

-Glenda

#38 anaderoux

anaderoux
                • 3,220 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:54 AM

OMG good for me I don't live in NY.. I'd be broke by know..

Normally I give $100 gifts.. but if the wedding is too classy I give a $200-$300 gift.. (per couple)

Keep in mind FI and I work in politics and sometimes we have compromises with high range people.. that's when we give a more expensive gift.. but the average is $100

#39 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
                  • 5,248 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:18 AM

I agree, I think it all depends on whose wedding we are going to. If I was going to a boss' wedding I would give more just to look good in front my boss, but if it was just a random acquaintance I would give much less.

-Glenda

#40 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
                    • VIP Member
                    • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

I think it depends on who it is and the style of wedding. If its a $100 a plate meal then I think you should give atleast $100pp. If its less or you dont know the people as well then I think you could give less. That being said Ive only ever been to 2 weddings. 1 I was in, and one in Vegas, so I never did this kind of gift thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users