KLC77

My OOT Bags~ the big hits and the things that weren't used

So, I thought it might be helpful for people who are putting together their OOT bags to know some of the things that people liked in mine and what they didn't really use.

My bags had a lot of different stuff in them. The things that people used most and were really excited for were:

The Find a Word Puzzles/ Sodoku books~ A Big Hit!

Decks of cards (a last minute addition that I'm glad I put in)~ it was cloudy for several days and these came in handy

First Aid Kits~ the bandaids were good for people who got blisters

and the Pepto bismol tablets and Motrin

The things that weren't used that I could've done without were:

The sunscreen with spf 30~ everyone knew they were heading somewhere sunny and packed their own

Mini beach balls~ I didn't see one of these used except by my FI who kept beaning me in the head and finding it hilarious! lol

Spanish for Dummies books~ as cute as they were no one read them

OFF wipes~ I never saw a bug and no one mentioned anything about them

I also would've added twice as many Motrins to the bags. I put in the 99 cent packs that had a total of 6 tablets in them. People used them and probably could've used more.

• Like 9

Great suggestions Kelly!! I've always wondered if those Spanish language books were worth it ~ that's why I went for the free pocketsize language guides I found online and am planning to just print those out. Besides being free, it also just keys in on the main phrases. But again the best part, it's free and ya can't beat that!!! wink.gif

have any of you done your own fun translation guides? I am American and marrying a British man and we constantly laugh at the translation issues... thought it might be cute to include a British/English phrase book. What do you girls think?

• Like 5

I agree this is good info to have, I hope more people post their results as well. :)

I am really interested to know if guests enjoyed/ used the travel mugs as they are one of the more expensive items I was planning on putting in the bags! Thanks Kelly!

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC77 View Post
So, I thought it might be helpful for people who are putting together their OOT bags to know some of the things that people liked in mine and what they didn't really use.

My bags had a lot of different stuff in them. The things that people used most and were really excited for were:

Decks of cards (a last minute addition that I'm glad I put in)~ it was cloudy for several days and these came in handy
First Aid Kits~ the bandaids were good for people who got blisters
and the Pepto bismol tablets and Motrin

I also would've added twice as many Motrins to the bags. I put in the 99 cent packs that had a total of 6 tablets in them. People used them and probably could've used more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maymeliabride View Post
I agree this is good info to have, I hope more people post their results as well. :)
I am really interested to know if guests enjoyed/ used the travel mugs as they are one of the more expensive items I was planning on putting in the bags! Thanks Kelly!
My big hits:
The deck of cards
First aid kit which had packets of Tylenol, Motrin, & Immodium, Purell hand wipes, & chapstick
Flip flops for both men & women
The mini-wallet/purse used as a key card holder or for money
The pashminas-the women loved them, especially for late nights in the lobby, on the beach & in restaurants for dinner.
And yes, the travel mug was the biggest hit by far! Everywhere we went on the resort, my guests had their mugs. It was very convienent and well used at the bar!

The only thing that I second guess is the use of the monogrammed canvas tote as the OOT bag itself.
While I loved it & will certainly use it again & again, I wonder who else will really use it again, with the exception of my mother! While it made for a great beach bag as I did see my guests using it on the beach or on our shopping tours, I'd still love to know if it will get used this summer by anyone else. Maybe I should have gone with the personalized paper gift bag or god forbid, skipped putting my monogram on it & just gone with a generic Jamaica design.
Just food for thought for you brides to be!
  • Like 8

in the same place as the spanish for dummies I found drinks for dummies. They have about 25 different drinks and how to make them my guests are excited for them to take up to the bar and try out new drinks!! so just a thought since the spanish wasn't a big hit.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • Hi! I'm from the US (but I've been to the UK 6x- my finance says i'm not allowed to move there! lol) Many resort lines don't offer something like the dress rehearsal, which I think is crazy! It's such a smart idea!  Having been to Mexico so much, I find it so much more comfortable- Yes there are dangers but I don't find it any worse than Philly or NY. It is a country that gets SO MUCH money from the service industry- it literally benefits no one to mess with tourists. Your tip money at the bar is feeding someones family. Not that the DR is any different in that it relies on tourist $, but the vibe is just totally different.  In the DR, they were really very serious about us not leaving the resorts (we did- I don't believe in staying on resorts lol). Once off, we realized why. Now, full disclosure, we went right after the 2010 earthquake, so this was a) some time ago and b) right after a natural disaster. Once we left we just felt immediately uncomfortable. (We even saw a man approaching a goat with  a large gun and the Taxi driver seemed nervous and sped away- poor goat!) I find in Mexico everyone is SO respectful- in the DR I had guys make lewd comments (both from those off the resort, and more disturbingly from workers at the resort), grabbing at me, just generally super disrespectful and not at all comforting. My dad had to kick the room service guy out of our room bc he refused to leave when we asked!  This could have been completely isolated to the staff at our specific resort, but it definitely happened off resort as well. A la Anthony Bourdain, I have always considered myself a traveller, not a tourist, so I have zero interest in staying on a resort the entire time (really I'm not in love with resorts period lol), so for me, if I can't go off resort safely, what business do I have being there at all? Also they  made be throw out my coffee before I got on the plane- the coffee I got at the food court at the gate. I'm holding that grudge LOL. A long story short- it's not on my list of returns. I can honestly say that I'm not sure I would accept an invitation to a wedding in the DR- I think I'd rather save that money and go to Mexico! (or the UK, or Iceland, or just Europe in general lol)  I don't regret going, but I'd sooner go to Mexico if I'm looking for a beach!  That's just me- millions of people go there and have a great time! I guess it really comes down to what type of traveller you are (are you okay with being on a resort and just leaving for excursions)!
    • Hello, thank you so much for this it’s all very helpful.. are you from the UK OR US? ive never been and I probably won’t visit the destination until I get married! Oh my gosh I have looked at your resort it is beautiful!! my family have been to the Dominican.. can I ask why you didn’t find it as safe?   Thanks again 
    • Hi! Well, I stumbled on this forum, and then when I realized it was run by a travel agency (while being really impartial- the fact that there are reviews for OTHER agencies was a good sign!) I didn't look any further! Their website, where you can fill out a contact form:  https://www.wrighttravelagency.com/ Babs actually sent me an email on a Sunday (she had been out of the office on Friday) so that's how we started- I was so impressed right off the bat! You may not get Babs, but I can only imagine that the entire office is amazing! We're getting married at Azul Riveria Cancun (formerly Sensatori). We chose it because we have kids coming. We actually just went down for the Brides Dress Rehearsal (A really cool program Karisma Resorts do, where they give you a special price/couple to go down and check out some resorts, meet wedding planners and vendors etcetc- it's great having never been there to leave knowing and seeing it all- http://www.memorablemomentsweddings.com/Memorable-Moments-Weddings-Dress_Rehearsal.cfm) I'm pretty laid back- it's Mexico. Where ever you are, how ever it's decorated, whatever the weather is- it's going to be gorgeous. I wanted a destination wedding so that I could not worry about things! It will be what it will be- and regardless of what it is, MEXICO! lol I did just see a post about travel guidelines for the DR (Below). Just something to consider, it seems really restrictive! Have you been to the DR? I'm struggling at the moment with people who are afraid to travel to Mexico, which I've always found funny because I've been 6 times and I'm still alive! AND only 3 of those times were on resorts! I felt the least safe of all my travels in the DR, so it's just something that I like to mention!
    • Hello, oh thank you that’s great, how can I come across her details? where are you getting married and how have you found planning so far? 
    • I've had nothing but an amazing experience with my TA, Barbara (Babs) Vong- she actually works for Wright Travel Agency- the ones that run this forum! I'd suggest reaching out to them first- they're the experts!   My wedding is in February of 2020, and we started planning around August 2018, for what it's worth on a timeline.
  • Topics