Photo

My OOT Bags~ the big hits and the things that weren't used

• Please log in to reply
1232 replies to this topic

#191 khomac

khomac
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the post! What items did you include that weren't used? anything? I have great resources on where to pick things up but I love this thread because it lets you now what was good & bad based on previous brides experiences!

Thanks again!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarafish81
    What our guests liked:

The OOT bags themselves were used by everyone. It was cool to see "my" bags around the huge resort as that is usually how I recognized our guests from afar!

Click the image to open in full size.

Our guests also loved the Avon chapstick in SPF 15 I found on ebay for super cheap:

The hibiscus peso/key card holders were an absolute favorite. I ordered them from Oriental Trading Company:

Some Antibacterial lotion from Bath and Body Works (pocket sized):

So I would say for our guests, the simple, more practical things were more of a hit.

Kelly & Pablo

http://www.michaelsteingard.com
    Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#192 sarafish81

sarafish81
    • 353 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

We included Tide-to-go pens, but I don't believe those were used (except for me, I used it a few times!)
      The other items in the bag were more like wedding favors. I included beachy cookie cutters and flip flop candles, items that our guests wouldn't use until they got home, if at all.

#193 jamaicabride09

jamaicabride09
      • 856 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Prettyhazardous
        Sara that's good to know bc I just received my order of the hibiscus key chains and I was kinda thinkin that I didn't like them. Also the B&BW Pocket bacs are on sale right now for $1 a piece (vs $1.50 a piece) I think I'll get them vs dollar store brand.
        Ashley, do you know when the B&BW sale ends?

#194 Blkatz

Blkatz
        • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

My friends used the hand sanitzers a lot-the chap stick and the bags. They also really liked having Aloe in there because they all got sunburn!
          We bought the keychains also and no one used them.

#195 Ayita

Ayita
          • 861 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

The biggest hits for us were :
            - Alka Seltzer. Everybody drunk so much they were pretty much used after the Friday night !! I should have put some more in the hungover kits
            - After-bites wipes. Big hit.
            - Deet-free mosquito repellent. Some guests did not have mosquito repellent at all. Others went to natural reserves (Xel Ha, Xcaret) were insecticides are not allowed. Was a great hit !
            - Aloe. A lot of people got sunburnt despite the welcome booklet advise...
            - A lot of people used the Tums, Advil, and Immodium too...
            - The hibiscus coin purses. Everybody used them to put their pesos in.
            - the pens
            - the "meet the guests" pages - everybody loved it

The stuff not used :
            - the energy patches. But they should have, everybody was pretty tired !
            - the door hangers. Funny to make but not used at all.

The stuff I don't know about :
            - the bags. Not used so much as the hotel here does provide beach totes, but might have been used in other places (guests continuing their vacation).
            - the spanish for dummies
            - the flip flop bookmarks
            - the flip flop post-its (got these for posting messages on doors)
            - the favors (plantable). I will find out later if people planted them !

The stuff I should have had :
            - hand sanitizer. Yeah that was about that time ! But I had not planned for it at first and could not find any once I got here. Happily one of my BM found some in Houston before leaving (after a hunt...) so I put some in a basket on the bar during the cocktail with a little tag saying "active flu prevention" on it that I had prepared the night before leaving

#196 liz1717

liz1717
            • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

thanks for all the great ideas!!

#197 Duchess

Duchess
              • 358 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

I am sure this has been discussed but I ordered canvas bags and printed my monogram in reverse on transfer paper and then just ironed on. That way, people had a bag to use while there but it wouldnt matter if they tossed them when they got home. A lot of people spend a lot on the bag but I personally wouldnt use a bag with someone elses wedding logo outside of their wedding events, so this was a good way to accomplish both a beach bag for the trip without spending a lot.

Pashminas were a huge hit. Old Navy online had flip flops for like 2 bucks, HUGE HIT. Everyone wore them to the wedding, and I got white ones. I ordered a bunch of womens size 7-8, 8-9, and then mens 11-12, 12-13 and that covered everyone, since Flip flops dont have to fit perfectly.

Other hits:
                Playing Cards,
                Brochures of what was to expect (Vistaprint)
                Advil
                Dramamine (we had to take a boat to the wedding local)
                monogramed water bottles

Things I would have done differently:
                The $2 spanish phrase book from amazon was cute, but it was really old, so the expressions were like "have you seen my tophat?"
                all the cutesy favors like candles and starfish, it was fine but it added up the cost and I don't know if people used them

Other than that, we did little frames but used them as place cards for the wedding, and I dont know if people took those with them or what. I am sure i will think of more things that were in our bags as time goes on...

Oh, and we had to pack 2 extra full size luggages to get it all there. I dont trust mailing to mexico, especially not bulk items because they will seize anything that looks like it is for commerce, ie to be sold. I was told that things can simply not make it there, with no recourse. Proceed with caution. So we each had 2 checked luggages and our carry ons. No biggie, it didnt cost us extra.

HTH!

#198 Duchess

Duchess
                • 358 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, we ordered cheap bball caps for men and sun visors for women. People were totally using them. Not the younger guys so much (you know how young guys are with ball caps) but the "dads" were all wearing them.

Regarding the person who is considering the personal gifts, you can do that, but my guests were actually all really touched by the gifts, even though they were the same. I think people werent expecting it, so when we gave them at our rehearsal dinner, everyone was like "for me" it was so cute. The only customized thing we did at all was tailor it to whether it was a man woman couple, or father and son, etc.

#199 merocket59

merocket59
                  • 937 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:03 PM

Good to know that people actually wore the caps because I got some for the guys and have a few in mind that I know will wear them but not sure about some of the younger guys but if they don't want them they can give them to the girls some would wear them.

#200 Prettyhazardous

Prettyhazardous
                    • 712 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Jamaica bride we so need to talk I didn't realize you live in Baltimore like me lol. I'll pm you. I just checked out the B&BW site and there doesn't seem to be an end date. I've been in the store a few times over the past few months and they've always been $1. I really wanna go pick some up, before the (never ending sale) ends lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users