Alternatives to Linen for Groom/Groomsmen?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 J2K

• 59 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

The groom is not going to wear a suit, just pants, shirt, and sandals. Same goes for the groomsmen. We've been to other weddings and linen seems to be very wrinkly so we're exploring other options. We're also trying to decide how to differentiate between the groom and groomsmen without being too matchy matchy. The bride will be in white, with the bridesmaids in David's clover green.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Ginalyn

• 2,754 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

Not sure of any alternatives to linen but what if the groom wore long sleeves while the groomsmen wear short leaves?

#3 KarenM

• 1,920 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

The long vs short sleeves is a good idea. Or what about something like a Mexican wedding shirt (Guayabera) for just your fiance, and/or different colors for the guys?

Here's a couple links to show what I'm talking about:

Short Sleeve

Guayaberas, mexican wedding shirts, cuban shirts,guayabera shirts for youth, linen, Guayabera shirts, beach wedding apparel

#4 Jen & Josh

Jen & Josh
        • 75 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

I am having the same problem. I don't want linen, but I also don't want the guys to be too hot. Not sure what type of fabric to look for. Any suggestions?
          I thought about have the GM wear short leaves & the groom wear long sleeves and a tie?

#5 mrsbancroft2be

• 111 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

We bought silk pants and shirts (ones that look like Tommy Bahama shirts) at Mens Warehouse and they seem to be fairly light weight. And they were not that expensive. My FI is going to be the only one wearing a jacket everyone else is just wearing the pants and short sleeve shirts, I dont know if that could be an option to make your groom stand out

#6 JoLo908

• 889 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:07 PM

Does the silk wrinkle easily?

#7 clmarti1

• 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

I was told that the silk would not wrinkle as much as linen would. My FI will also be wearing a silk suit from Men's Warehouse and the groomsment will be wearing short sleeve white shirts with khaki pants that i found at Macys on sale (plus an extra coupon).
                Joseph & Feiss Resort Three-Button, Non-Vent,Tan Silk Suit | Men's Wearhouse

#8 Virg

• 684 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Best bet:
                  Golf pants, anything that says DRi-fit (dry-fit), cool performance, moisture wicking, etc.
                  Haggar has some good ones, as does Dockers.
                  It has the same moisture wicking properties as good gym clothes, and it lets the wind through to keep the skin cooler.
                  MY FI is a perspirer and he swears by them, even for work!
                  Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
                  Made it legal : June 30, 2009

#9 sunsetbride1

• 1,083 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

Fabric: I don't know if I would go with silk; if they sweat it will show really easily and stick to them. I would go with cotton or as Vira said anything with moisture-wicking properties.
                    Differentiate: I like the idea of short sleeves vs long; but personally I like the long sleeves with the sleeves rolled/pushed up. Looks cute and casual. I would go with FI in one color shirt with or without pattern to go with you (white/ivory or whatever your dress color is) and GM's do another color shirt with or w/out pattern to go with BM's,

#10 marisacastro

• 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

I bought my FI silk pants (khaki) and a silk shirt (white/long sleeve) from Tommy Bahama. It is not the texture you would expect from silk. It is a light weave but almost feels like cotton. It doesn't seem to wrinkle easily. I'm getting married in March so I'll find out then for sure.

Also, it does drape nicely against the body so it shows off a nice build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users