Black Tungsten- good or bad??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I read more and they do say the tungsten is hypo allergetic, but that never ment much to me in the earring dept so I will take it for what it is.

Tungsten is actually a powder that is formed into jewlery, not liquid like silver or gold.

To remove the ring in an emergency the actually take a sharp object made for tungsten and shatter the ring for removal.

So if there is an emergency like that the ring is a total loss, but removed and finger saved. Not a bad trade off :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions and keep them coming.

In regards to the black tungsten vs regulare tungsten carbide, I guess it is black ceramic tungsten. I wonder if that will "wear off" or scratch?

if its a black powder rather than a black coloring on top of the silver, then i bet it will be ok. i mean it will probably get scratched, but the black wont scratch off, kwim?

I got my FI's ring from overstock.com its Tungsten and he loves it. They are inexpensive and indistructable. We actually got his on the larger side so that if anything happened it could be easily removed. Just becareful with ordering because most tungsten rings are comfort fit and are a little bigger then expected.

Since i got an e-ring my FI wanted one as well so i got him a tungsten ring, mostly b/c he used to do manual labor for a living. he has worn the ring for 2 years and not a scratch on it. but the ring did scratch my windshield , the window was fogging up and he used his hand to wipe it clean luckily its not deep but its about 10 inches long. As said before it can not be re-sized so that might be a problem. but i plan to get him a wedding band in white gold that will not be used for every day, he's not good at taking care of things like that, unless he gets fat and cant wear the tungsten one anymore.smile43.gif

Most of what is being said here is what we've heard also. We just ordered 3 rings from titaniumkay.com and all are nice quality and MUCH less expensive than any local jewelry store for the same product. We ordered 3, are picking one and sending the other 2 back. They don't charge a restock fee if you keep at least one of the rings :)

The sizing issues stated above are good advice too... order a half to one size smaller than normal.

• 1 month later...

My FI is getting a silver Tungsten ring so we know a bit about the metal but I don't know anything about the black ones. One other thing to note, our jeweler said that in SOME cases chlorine can have an affect on Tungsten. It can alter the color, however, as has been noted, if anything happens to the ring there is a lifetime guarantee and you can just send it back and get a new one. The ring can't be cut but it can be shattered so if there really is an emergency the ring can be removed.

My fiance just received his Trew Tungsten ring today, and it's gorgeous! The one thing you want to watch out for with tungsten rings is additional elements that may cause problems. Many of the rings contain cobalt or nickel which can cause skin problems, and make the rings more likely to break.

Don't worry about removing the rings (it's a myth!). They can be removed with vice grips or various jewelers tools, and hospitals are equipped to deal with the problem. The Trew Tungsten site says to save the pieces if the ring is removed in an emergency, and they well replace it (with appropriate proof). I'm guessing other sellers do the same thing!

We actually got a totally unexpected $80 rebate on the ring AFTER we paid for it because the cost of tungsten went down. How nice is that?

I'm not sure about black tungsten rings (tungsten rings are naturally a gunmetalish color) so I would just look into the "ingredients" and make sure there's nothing weird or troublesome in there.

GL! I personally think tungsten rings are fantastic. They're a bit manly while still looking nice, and they stand up fantastically to wear and tear. Sure they can't be resized, but that goes hand-in-hand with being as hard as sapphires and hardly ever needing to be polished! I'm starting to wish MY ring was tungsten :S