Photo

My Best Wedding Gift So Far!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lilpaisley

Lilpaisley
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

My very close friend is a designer that is applying for her graduate degree in historical clothing (she wants to work for a museum). She is making my dress based on a 1930s Harlow gown that I own. I have been really exited not only to have my perfect dress, but have it made by someone whose friendship means allot to me.

We were making plans to get together tomorrow for the 2nd fitting of the muslin version of the dress. I asked her how much I need to give her for the fabric and work. She then tells me that the dress is free for me! I can’t believe it. She says it is free mainly as my wedding gift from her to me, but also because she is using the dress and it’s construction based on the old dress are going to be part of her graduate school application. She has even arranged for a photographer friend to take bridal portraits so she can send them in with the application.

So I get my dream dress for free and bridal portraits as well. I can’t believe it.

I feel like I should do something special to thank her, but I am not sure what.

I'm doin' a happy dance!!
    Riu Montego Bay, Jamaica - Feb 28, 2009
    http://ticker.7910.o....2EgaXMgaW4.gif

#2 sarafish81

sarafish81
    • 353 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Wow that's awesome! What a generous friend. I'd love to see what the finished product looks like.

#3 sunsetbride1

sunsetbride1
      • 1,083 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

That is fabulous!! What a great friend..
        I can't wait to see pictures of this dress; it sounds amazing.

I would definitely do something to thank her! Is she coming to the wedding? If so, maybe acknowledge her in a certain way.. add something to your programs saying "Brides dress made by...".

#4 Betsy

Betsy

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 4,513 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

How awesome of your friend! That is so sweet! I love that idea to include her in your programs! That is such a great thing to do!

#5 Lilpaisley

Lilpaisley
          • 402 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

I will try to take some pics of the muslin version tomorrow, but here are a few of the vintage dress. It does fit me, but it is a little too worn for the wedding. I purchased it from a man whose wife had been a jazz singer and this dress was one she worn on stage. I have made a few style mods to the new version.

Front
            Click the image to open in full size.
            Back
            And here is Jean Harlow in the picture that inspired my dress
            Riu Montego Bay, Jamaica - Feb 28, 2009
            http://ticker.7910.o....2EgaXMgaW4.gif

#6 boscobel

boscobel
            • VIP Member
            • 24,213 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Wow, that's awesome! Do you have pictures of the dress that the design is being based on? Or even of the dress so far? It sounds great, I love that old style. I can't wait to see it!

Oh cool, I see that you posted pics. Very cool dress. i Can't wait to see pics of you in THE one.

#7 1elephant

1elephant
              • VIP Member
              • 15,998 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

what an awesome gift! i think including her in the programs would be nice, or having something special sent to her room or a mani/pedi...?

#8 Ryan & Valerie

Ryan & Valerie
                • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

What a GREAT friend you have!! I would love to see the finished product. Post it so all of us girls can see your beautiful, unique, customized dress...=)))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users