Photo

Milk for children in Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nscaper

nscaper
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

Is anyone aware of any reasons that milk may or may not be safe for a 2 year old in Jamaica?
    We now have one child travelling with us and the parents had questions and I did not have answers?

Thanks!

#2 Anna83

Anna83
    • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

I'm not sure about whether it's safe, but we were just at ROR and we had actually commented as a group that we did not see any milk available to drink. I could be wrong, but I don't know that you can get any. We guessed that it is just too expensive for them to import, especially since the shelf life isn't long.

#3 1elephant

1elephant
      • VIP Member
      • 15,998 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

i have no idea, but since we rarely drink milk, i always keep milk boxes (like juice boxes) in the house just in case someone wants some or i need some for cooking. they're either in the baking aisle or the juice box aisle.

#4 FoxyBride

FoxyBride
        • 609 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Most tropical areas use powered milk, not fresh milk, since it is hard to keep fresh. You can bring some from the states for the child do have.

#5 jamaica08

jamaica08
          • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:30 AM

Some of my guests had the same question so I emailed the question on the the RIU website. They told me they do have 2% milk there.

I got married in Nov 08, and unfortunately I can't recall if my guests actually drank the milk or not. Everybody came home ok though - no illnesses.

#6 DGG

DGG
            • 275 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:56 AM

I think you'd be fine at the resorts - I went to Jamaica last year and had milk in my coffee or cereal without a problem..
              but if they are really worried they can buy parmalat boxed milk and bring it with them..
              Tell them to make sure his vaccines are up to date for the trip though :)

#7 Soon2beWed09

Soon2beWed09
              • 319 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

Wow I hope they have milk because that's the only thing I drink beside water...powdered milk taste funny..oh well guess i'll be drinking water for the time I'm ther

#8 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
                • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

The milk there is fine--actualy better than here because the diet for the anilams are far superior than here. You will be fine.

#9 JamaicaBrideToBe

JamaicaBrideToBe
                  • 89 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by nscaper
                    Is anyone aware of any reasons that milk may or may not be safe for a 2 year old in Jamaica?
                    We now have one child travelling with us and the parents had questions and I did not have answers?

Thanks!

They do have milk available at all of the restaurants. It tastes so much better than anything Ive ever had as well. There were about 12 or so people that loved it. Plus, they give you warm milk in your coffee every morning. Its safe.

#10 jmhein

jmhein
                    • 665 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

We had a two year old attend our wedding who drank milk, they had regular containers of 2% and 1% available - absolutely no worries!
                      ------------------------------------------------MARRIED at the Riu Ocho Rios - Feb 12, 2008 - Best day of our lives!Honeymooned at Sandals Whitehouse European Village - Feb 16-23

My Riu Ocho Rios Wedding Review with Pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users