• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#11 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissyR
    Just wanted to give Toronto brides the heads up - Went to change my drivers license and health card yesterday (assuming) and was informed that I need to have my Mexico Wedding Certif (in Spanish) translated to English as they only accept English and French.

They will give you a list of certified translators - 70 bucks and a week later..
    MissyR - thanks for posting this, a lot of gals probably don't know about that! Good to know!

#12 MissyR

MissyR
    • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

I found out the hard way!

#13 sarafish81

sarafish81
      • 353 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009
        Thanks ladies!

From what I understand from reading that other thread is that some provinces will change the name on your birth cert and some won't (if you legally change it that is). I guess I'll have to ask a registry agent here in Alberta to get the official word on that.
        I'd be interested to know this too! My FI and I had a discussion about this the other night.

#14 BachataBride

BachataBride
        • Banned
        • 9,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

Missy...Did you have to get your MC legalized as well?? Or just translated? I've heard that both are needed. I'm not sure what the difference is...just extra $$ !!

(I know...I'm terrible...I've been married for almost 5 months and still haven't changed my name!)

#15 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
          • 5,649 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Amanda - I'm just as bad as you lol, I've just finally changed my name on all of my work stuff as well as my blue cross and Alberta Health Care crap. I still haven't done my bank stuff or driver's license yet lol. It's just so overwhelming...blah!! lol

#16 BachataBride

BachataBride
            • Banned
            • 9,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

LOL...glad I'm not the only one!! The only thing that has my new name is facebook!!

#17 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
              • 5,649 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by BachataBride
                LOL...glad I'm not the only one!! The only thing that has my new name is facebook!!
                hehehe, is it sad that FB is the FIRST place I changed my last name right after the wedding? lol

#18 MissyR

MissyR
                • 1,210 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Nope. As long as you have a certified translator (they use the raised seal etc) then it's as legal as the spanish one. they consider the translated one a legal certificate. I changed everything except by BC (which is considered a name assumption and not a legal name change). If you want to change your name on your birth certificate the process is different and much more stringent.

#19 sarafish81

sarafish81
                  • 353 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009
                    hehehe, is it sad that FB is the FIRST place I changed my last name right after the wedding? lol
                    LOL me too, me too!! As it can take up to 4 months to receive our marriage certificate from Cuba, I figured I'd change it on facebook since I had to wait to do it in real life. Glad I'm not the only one!

#20 BachataBride

BachataBride
                    • Banned
                    • 9,310 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by MissyR
                      Nope. As long as you have a certified translator (they use the raised seal etc) then it's as legal as the spanish one. they consider the translated one a legal certificate. I changed everything except by BC (which is considered a name assumption and not a legal name change). If you want to change your name on your birth certificate the process is different and much more stringent.
                      Thanks sweetie!!
                      No...I'm not going through the hassle of changing my BC. IMO that just seems like a lot of work! I was born Amanda Stratton so isn't that what my birth certificate should say!?
                      I understand Kathy wanting to remove ties from her father though - that's a different circumstance.

One more question - do I have to register my marriage anywhere?? With the province, municipality, government?? I know that MTO & OHIP are gov't agencies that I will be changing my name with, but I was wondering if I had to physically send in a copy of our MC saying to Canada "hey, look, we're married!" KWIM?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users