Moon Dance Cliffs

Hi dlh316... I'm also getting married in March, 2013 and I have the same question about lighting. We are having a DJ for three hours and the PACE band for three hours so I'm not sure what we should do for lighting. I believe Kerry said we can get the lighting through the DJ and I think it was less than getting it through the band but I would love to know from other past brides if the lighting makes a significant difference or if anyone just went with the natural lighting of what MDC already has?

Also, I have a question about outside guests... we are doing the resort take over and our guests have booked all of the rooms. Does anyone have recommendations on nearby hotels for additional guests to stay at? And, when the outside guests come for the wedding do they really enforce that the outside guests have to leave by 11:00 pm?

One last question for past brides... any wedding meal menu tips or feedback from your guests on what entre item they liked the best (lobster, steak, seafood, jerk pork, etc)?

Thanks everyone for all of your guidance, it is so helpful!

We did not use lighting.  Annieâ€s restaurant provides nice soft lighting that you can see in the attached pictures.  The hotel placed lights around the food so it was pretty bright in that area.  Also the photographers and the videographer had their lights.  We did have a lot of candles.  Itâ€s hard to tell in the pictures but it really was just enough light, to us anyway, lol. 

For food we did lobster, steak and tarragon chicken.  Lobster was a big hit with everyone.  I loved it!  everyone said the steak was very tender. (we donâ€t eat red meat)  I did the tarragon chicken because I figured it was a neutral meal.  Everyone also said it was very good including our picky son.  I did not have it for the wedding but I loved the curried chicken.  The jerk chicken and pork are also delicious.  The put sauce to the side so you can make it hotter for those who really love their jerk hot hot hot.

Our outside guests stayed at the RIU and the Banana Shout..  we had friends who own a home in Jamaica in Ocho Rios and did not want to make the drive back after the wedding.  The front desk staff actually recommended the Banana shout and made the reservations for them.  They were happy with the arrangements. 

Our outside guests did not leave until after 1am, and it was their choice, no one told them it was time to go.  They hotel is really very accommodating!

Have fun planning

wed pics.docx

Thank you for the great feedback, lobster as one option for sure! Thanks again and I'm so happy they won't really 'kick out' anyone at 11pm, I was a little concerned about that... we want to be able to hang out with all of our wedding guests for as long as possible. Happy Friday msnparty.gif

Hi Ladies,

I'm probably not having a wedding at Moondance Cliffs but wanted to drop a line to say that I attended a BEAUTIFUL wedding there last year. It's an amazing venue. The reception setup was just stunning. Claudette, your wedding website has inspired me to get on with the creation of mine and get save the dates out. My wedding will be in Montego Bay and I am looking at a few venues right now. Once confirmed I want to have everything prepared so I can just hit the GO button. Lol!

I too am considering Sungold for my photography but they only have the associates available for my day. A friend used Marcia E. Roberts and I called for a quote. She is very reasonable and flexible. I may go that route.

Anyways, good luck and congrats to all of you!

• 1 month later...

Hey Ladies,

Seems like this thread has been quiet for awhile so I thought I'd try to start it back up.  We are 5 months out! and I'm in full on planning mode.  I have a couple questions for past and current brides.

1) I'm wondering what everyone did for the unity part of the ceremony?  I'm assuming it'd be too windy for candles and I'm not overly fond of the sand idea.  Just looking for alternate options.

2) For those of you who held rehearsal dinners and other things other than the wedding at MDC, how much decoration did you supply?

Ok...I think that might be it for now.  I'd love to hear how everyone else is coming along with their planning!

Great questions, I'm five months out also. Dlh316, I'm thinking you must be the weekend right after mine :)

I haven't thought about the decorations yet for the welcoming/rehearsal dinner but I should probably think about that. For those of you past brides that have been so so helpful, did you have to rent table and chairs for the rehearsal dinner or does MDC supply them?

Did anyone get a fire thrower/dancer? If so, would you recommend it?

Did anyone use PACE band? If so, what did you think?

I'm getting excited as the time gets closer, as always any tips are so appreciated woot.gif

LMC1, when is your wedding?  I just sent Kerry a long email asking about the tables and chairs for the reception.  So I'll let you know when I hear back.  

I'm getting very excited and time is just flying by!!  5 months will be here in no time!

I went to a wedding at MDC last year. They had a fire dancer. I wouldn't recommend it. I found that most guests were talking and bored with it after awhile. he was good. Danced for about 10 mins but the novelty wears off after awhile and people are looking elsewhere. 

I'd put the money towards a band for the cocktail hour and perhaps even a band for the beginning of dinner. 

On a sidenote, the venue is gorgeous and your photos will be beautiful. There wasn't a lot of decoration at the ceremony i attended but it really wasn't needed if your using the gazebo. It overlooks the cliffs. BEAUTIFUL!

Also, a recommendation for a nearby hotel would be Legends Beach resort. It's less than a 10 min cab ride. It's nothing fancy but the beach makes up for it. And the meals. Very affordable. But if guests want something closer or fancier I'd suggest Sunset on the Rocks. I think that's what it's called.