~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 8,680 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
  • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

So me and my FH are getting married legally in Florida before Mexico. Just to make things a bit easier and to avoid those natsy needles. We're keeping this on the down low though in case our family gets offended.

So last night I was googling marriage licenses and what to do etc. Found out we get a discount (not that great) if we go through marital counselling 4 hour course. Regardless of the discount I think it's a good idea for me and my FH to embark on this course.

Anyone else doing this? Or anyone complete this? Would you recomend it?

#2 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

There was a thread on this a while back, and I remember thinking that I didn't really fit in with what everyone else was saying. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it!". Aaron and I talk everything through, and never fight. I don't see the point. Although, in the other thread someone posted a book they suggested to get of 100 Questions or something like that. I seriously considered that (and still am). We've been together for almost 7 years, there's not much we haven't already talked about!
    Happily Married since May 9, 2008
    Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#3 BayBug

BayBug
    • 852 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Same here. Tim and I talk about everything and try to let one another what is going on. We hardly fight about anything because we both know and feel comfortable talking about anything and everything.
      Angie

#4 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
      • 1,876 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

My FI and I did a little pre-marital counseling. It was good because it made us talk about things that we hadn't discussed yet, such as finances and inlaw relations as well as the little issues we have in living together....housework. We've lived together for a year and it was a huge adjustment for me to live with someone else. I thought the couseling was good for our relationship. ...so, I voted yes.
        My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
        Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#5 EDYTA

EDYTA
        • 1,277 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

Terry and I are getting married in a vatholic church which requires u to do a premarital course....he was really dreading it and it actually turned out to be very good and beneficial

so i think it's a great idea and we found it to be very useful so from now on we decided that were gonna go every year to marriage counselling

#6 tvt

tvt
          • VIP Member
          • 4,812 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

I want to do it. I kind of think it sounds like fun and could bring up some stuff that we hadn't thought about being married. But Joe, on the other hand, thinks it's a sign that I believe something is wrong. So we'll see! But I'm going to vote yes because I think we'll end up doing it.

#7 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
            • VIP Member
            • 931 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

I highly recommend doing some sort of pre-marital counseling. Even if you think that you don't need it/everything is fine. It was extremely helpful.

#8 Christine

Christine
              • VIP Member
              • 21,514 posts
              • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
              • Wedding Location:Napa, California
              • LocationReno, NV

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

we do have to meet with our pastor before hand but not anything super official.
              Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#9 ~Melissa~

~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 8,680 posts
              • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
              • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
              • LocationUtah

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:47 AM

for you girls whom have done it does it have to be thru the church?? I'm having a hard time finding any of these classes! ARGH, so frusterating and I thought I was the google queen.

#10 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
              • 26,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:15 AM

We were 100% against it since we too have been together 7 years but we did it anyway and honestly it was a pleasant surprise. Ours was through a church but what we liked was that there were about 50 other couples there so it wasn't an in your face evaluation like we thought it would be. It was one married couple sharing their hilarious stories and posing questions to us to discuss among ourselves. I don't think we would have enjoyed a "share your feelings with the group" type class so this worked for us. Give it a shot, we're always changing so you may just learn something new about your spouse and vice versa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users