Sign in to follow this  
August2010Bride

Do you have bridesmaids?!? I'm torn!

Oh god! I was soooo torn with this decision! My husband has 6 sisters and loads of friends. I didn't know where it would start or end and I really didn't want to exclude anyone so we chose our best friends (one each not siblings so as not to offend anyone). It was a really tough decision but I think it worked out well .. Just talk to your FI and discuss what really matters to you both because in the end...... it's just you two!!!smile03.gif

i too am so confused! I want bridesmaides for photos and to be a bit more traditional, but at the same time I feel bad asking someone if they cannot afford to go. Someone posted a great suggestion regarding waiting until they confirm. That is probably the best idea!

I am having my bestfriend as my MOH. I am not really having any bridesmaids or groomsmen BUT my grown up daugther and son are walking me down the aisle. They will be wearing the same outfits as the MOH and BM.

I was in the same boat but have now decided to not have a BP. We only wanted immediate family to attend and both FI and I have sisters. If I asked mine(she probably won't attend anyway) then I would have had to ask his and I'm not close with her. FI didn't have anyone to ask to be his BM either and didn't feel comfortable asking my brothers to stand up for him. As of right now a few close friends have suggested they can come but I still won't ask them to be apart of a BP.

I figure most family/friends will help if asked even if they aren't attending the ceremony. Once you are there there will still be someone there to lend a hand so why bother going through all the hassle of having a BP? But that's just me :)

First, I am new at this wedding planning stuff, so what exactly is an honorary bridesmaid?

Also, Neither my finace nor I want a bridal party but I have two wonderful sisters who mean the world to me and I want to make sure they feel included in the wedding. They were both a little hurt when I told them that we were not planning on having a bridal party. Especially my little sister who always pictured herself in my wedding.

I do want to do something that shows them and my other guests how special they are to me. Is there anyway to do this without having a traditional bridal party?

Thanks!

An honorary bridesmaid can be anything you want it to be. Usually its for people who couldn't attend the wedding, but would have been a part of the wedding party. I want to use it if I didn't have a wedding party, they can even walk down the aisle, wear similar colors, or sit in a row at your ceremony... so basically bridesmaids without standing up and purchasing dresses..etc.

Im really thinking about doing this. Has anyone went this route?

We are expecting roughly 35 peaple and are planing on going without a BP. We are opting not to have one because the wedding is about us.. We dont want anyone to have to particpate, only to enjoy and celebrate with us. I have been a bridesmaid in several weddings, as well as the girls that I will have as "honary" bridesmaides.. and I can tell at a few of them, I would have just prefered to be a guest (less stress, trying to wear a dress not fit for my body type, hair, etc).

But for the special ladies that I would have asked to be my bridesmaids, I will acknowlegde them in our welcome letter and meet and greet, as well as having them sit in the front with our parents (his honary GM and my Honary BM).

If you are concernd about having coordinated look for pictures, maybe incorporate your guest in the wedding like having an all white wedding or asking the honary BP to wear similar colors.. just a thought.

whatever you decide, im sure it will be fine.

We probably won't have a wedding party since we don't want to make anyone feel "obligated" or "pressured" into coming to the wedding especially with a bad economy. Quite a few guests have showed interests and said they would make plans to attend but we won't know until the invitations are sent out and RSVPs start coming in.