Sign in to follow this  
pearlygirl

Jamaica Brides...Legal in US?

This is going to sound stupid because I feel like I should know this already, but, if you get married in Jamaica, is it legal in the US?

Since we started planning in November, I just assumed it would be legal in the US. I'm sure it varies state to state, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had to apply for a marriage license at home?

I wasn't worried about this until this past week and a few of my friends were asking me about it, so now I'm freaking out!

Yep, it's legal.

If it makes you feel better, you can file a copy with your state office.

Once you go to the SS office to change your name, the new name and the marriage status is linked to your SS number.

Thanks for the quick replies ladies!

Here's another question.....Does it take up to 4 months to receive the marriage docs from Jamaica? And if so, do you have to wait until you receive them to go to the SS office? (I'm assuming you do so you have some documentation that you got married, but I just need to be re-assured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygirl View Post
Thanks for the quick replies ladies!

Here's another question.....Does it take up to 4 months to receive the marriage docs from Jamaica? And if so, do you have to wait until you receive them to go to the SS office? (I'm assuming you do so you have some documentation that you got married, but I just need to be re-assured)
Yes it can take up to 4 months to receive your license. You may get lucky & it could take less. We got married in April & I think I received it in late July.
And yes, you do need your offical license to go to the SS office.
You will take home your temporary license when you leave JA, but you need the official one to do name changes for your SS card & drivers license.