Photo

Non Conflict Diamonds

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 saraece

saraece
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:35 AM

Ok, now that I have seen Blood Diamond I was wondering how you ensure you are buying non conflict diamonds? I assume when you ask they will always say they are NC. I have my ER but still have the bands to buy and I wanted a eternity style band.
    Like our first kiss all over again

#2 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
    • VIP Member
    • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

When my fiance bought my engagement ring he went to a store that only sells Canadian Diamonds. Your best bet is to try and find a store that sells diamonds from the NWT (I see you are in Canada so it shouldnt be hard!) also I believe they have to give you papers to ensure that it is CF. Hope that helps a bit!!

#3 saraece

saraece
      • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

I will definetly look into Canadian Diamonds! Thanks. I just wonder what kind of proof do they have to show when they are from abroad...you think they could just forge that stuff.

#4 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
        • VIP Member
        • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Im sure they could. Now a days you can do pretty much anything to forge documents. I supose you would just have to hope that they wouldn't lie about such a horrible thing. I dont know where you are in Canada, but mine was from Ottawa in the Rideau Centre.

#5 jdweinbe

jdweinbe
          • 89 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

That movie was so powerful! I was on the fence about doing a nice Cubic Zerconia instead of diamonds because I really don't know anything about a good diamond or care! After seeing that movie, it made me not want diamonds at all! It is my opinion that conflict diamonds are still being sold as NC and that getting rid of the problem is like getting rid of drugs here. No chance. There is too much money to be made and ways that smugglers have "friends" in the business that will do them favors. Too many greedy people.......The other option I have been thinking about is taking my grandmother's ring and taking the diamonds from there.
            JEN

#6 LadyP

LadyP
            • 3,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

i found this website www.stopblooddiamonds.org/stop-confl...mond-trade.asp

#7 gkashmira

gkashmira
              • 1,962 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

I had my FI ask what the companies' policy on conflict-free diamonds. We ended up ordering the center stone from Blue Nile which at least tries. However please note that some of the more "discount" places (ie Costco, Tustin Diamond Mart in So. CA) refuse to give a statement.
                Kashmira & Dan
                Happily married since June 16, 2007
                http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
                Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
                Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#8 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
                • 11,659 posts
                • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

i did not want a diamond for the whole blood diamond reason but steve was adament so he researched so we did buy from the suppliers that did not care about the issue...we ended up buying from blue nile for the same reason kash did.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
                Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
                Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
                Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#9 NATASHA

NATASHA
                • 646 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Tiffany's CEO has spent the last 4 years (pre-Blood Diamond) working to eradicate them from the legitimate diamond market. They have purchased several mines in Canada and, I think, they control all of their mines outside of Canada as well so they know exactly where the diamonds are coming from and under what circumstance.

They have also been recognized by Global Witness as having the most promising policy against conflict diamonds.

That's why we forked over extra dollars and went the Tiffany route.
                  Shawn and NatashaHappily MarriedNovember 11, 2006

#10 saraece

saraece
                  • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by RaydensMama
                    Im sure they could. Now a days you can do pretty much anything to forge documents. I supose you would just have to hope that they wouldn't lie about such a horrible thing. I dont know where you are in Canada, but mine was from Ottawa in the Rideau Centre.
                    Since I am in Ottawa, would you happen to remember the name of the store in the Rideau center?? Thanks for everyone's input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users