Jump to content

Photo

So who can give me some advice about gemstones? (long backstory)


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
  • Member
  • 583 posts

    Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamk32179
    I work for a high end jewelry store and I agree with NJ bride that it sounds as if your stones were color treated. Many times companies color treat a stone to enhance the color, hide imperfections, etc. Every company is going to have their own standards on what type of enhancements they allow. For example the process of heating a gemstone to improve its color or clarity can be acceptable depending on the company. It sounds like your stones were either dyed or infused. Infusion uses colored oils that can dry out or be removed due to ultrasonic cleaning.

    I would recommend educating yourself on the various jewelry companies, various enhancements and whether or not they enhance their stones. I was in Mexico a few months ago looking at a Tanzanite. I asked the sales person if their stones were enhanced, he said absolutely not. Tanzanites receive their color by heat treatments, otherwise they would not be as vibrant in color. At that point I knew I could not trust what he was trying to sell to me.

    Keep in mind the toughness of the stone as well. Although tourmalines and topaz's are higher on the hardness scale, they are considered to be fair when it comes to toughness. Probably not a great choice for something you will be wearing on a daily basis.

    If you love pink I would look into pink sapphire. It is a hard stone (ranks a 9) and excellent when it comes to toughness as well. Sapphires should be cleaned with warm soapy water, steamer or ultrasonic cleaner. Acceptable enhancements would be heat treatment or infusion of colorless oils which is used for durability.

    Keep in mind (and it sounds like you have some time) this will eventually turn into an investment. Stones of excellent quality are rare and will probably appreciate. If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. This is something you will have forever. Hope this info helps!
    Wow, you're very knowledgeable, thanks so much for the info! :)

    I'm going to have a look at what the jeweller has to offer when he comes, and I'm really leaning toward pink sapphire. BUT, I found a great alternative in case I don't find something I LOVE :) I still want pink, but if I can't get the shade of pink that I want, then I'm going to go with this:

    Click the image to open in full size.

    I LOVE it!! It's not pink , but it's guaranteed not to lose its colour at least! lol I hate the price of diamonds, I think it's crazy to spend $2000+ on one piece of jewelry, I have other things I'd rather spend that money on lol So I found Diamond Nexus Labs, and this is GORGEOUS, comes with a lifetime guarantee, and if anything happens, they'll replace it, no questions :) I don't like regular diamond engagement rings because I feel like they've all been done before and I've seen it before, but this is exactly what I pictured in my head, classic, yet different enough to be remembered So I'm still giving pink sapphires one more chance, but if I dont' see anything I like, then this is what I'm ordering! I thought about ordering a pink sapphire online, but you can never tell the true shade from a photo, at least if the stone is colourless {certified F and D (flawless and colourless)} then you don't have to worry about the pictures being wrong, plus the stone is certified, comes with the AIG certificate :)

    So thanks for all the advice!! I still have my heart set on pink, but if I can't find any nice pinks from the jeweller, then I found my ring! Yay! I'm too excited about this lol

    #22 jamk32179

    jamk32179
    • Jr. Member
    • 341 posts

      Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

      Yay for you! I have a lot of clients that will pair a band with a colored gemstone. Just a thought. Heart shaped diamonds are very pretty, actually one of the hardest cuts of diamonds! I wouldn't recommend purchasing a stone sight unseen. I had a friend recently do that and the diamond he thought he was getting was not the one he got. Sapphires that are deeper in color will be more pricey and rare, that is why you do not see alot of them :)
      September 18, 2010- The Royal Playa del Carmen31 Guests RSVP'd including the Bride and Groom

      #23 aimee!

      aimee!
      • Member
      • 696 posts

        Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

        this is a fun thread! especially since i'm a lady with a non-diamond e-ring.

        DH got me a padparadscha sapphire that is a beautiful shade of pink. i can be pretty tough on it (oops) and it is holding up like a charm. it is absolutely gorgeous, and most importantly i LOVE it. i think they are definitely worth looking into. Good Luck.
        Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

        #24 aimee!

        aimee!
        • Member
        • 696 posts

          Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:40 AM

          ugh. double post. sorry...wish i could delete it.
          maybe i'm just dumb tonight?
          Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

          #25 FutureMrsLewis

          FutureMrsLewis
          • Member
          • 583 posts

            Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:42 AM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by jamk32179
            Yay for you! I have a lot of clients that will pair a band with a colored gemstone. Just a thought. Heart shaped diamonds are very pretty, actually one of the hardest cuts of diamonds! I wouldn't recommend purchasing a stone sight unseen. I had a friend recently do that and the diamond he thought he was getting was not the one he got. Sapphires that are deeper in color will be more pricey and rare, that is why you do not see alot of them :)
            I wouldn't normally purchase a stone without seeing it first, but I've been told that this company is very reputable, and they have a 30-day 100% refund policy, so if it looks like crap at least I can get my money back, even if I get it engraved :)

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by aimeeyonke
            this is a fun thread! especially since i'm a lady with a non-diamond e-ring.

            DH got me a padparadscha sapphire that is a beautiful shade of pink. i can be pretty tough on it (oops) and it is holding up like a charm. it is absolutely gorgeous, and most importantly i LOVE it. i think they are definitely worth looking into. Good Luck.
            Padparadscha, I'm definitely going to have to write that one down, because I wouldn't be able to spell it on my own, and I probably wouldn't even pronounce it right! lol I'm going to mention that to the jeweller, maybe he can hook me up lol

            #26 FutureMrsLewis

            FutureMrsLewis
            • Member
            • 583 posts

              Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

              Sigh... I just did some more looking into Diamond Nexus Labs, and even though they LOOK gorgeous, apparently they're selling CZ and passing it off as lab-created diamonds... I knew it was too easy lol Well, at least now I've seen a heart-shaped diamond :)

              #27 vgirl17

              vgirl17
              • Jr. Member
              • 315 posts
              • Wedding Date:April 24, 2010
              • Wedding Location:Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort, Cancun, Mexico
              • LocationVacaville, CA

              Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

              I have a lab created Pink Sapphire e-ring and I LOVE it! I'm having it reset in a halo setting with a split shank and can't wait until it's done! It's SO me and my fiance couldn't have picked a more perfect stone :) It has a nice deep pink color and since he knows my favorite color is fuschia he tried to get as close to it is possible.

              #28 FutureMrsLewis

              FutureMrsLewis
              • Member
              • 583 posts

                Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by vgirl17
                I have a lab created Pink Sapphire e-ring and I LOVE it! I'm having it reset in a halo setting with a split shank and can't wait until it's done! It's SO me and my fiance couldn't have picked a more perfect stone :) It has a nice deep pink color and since he knows my favorite color is fuschia he tried to get as close to it is possible.
                That's what I want, a nice, bright, fuschia stone :) I like pink, but not pale pink, I like bright, bold pink ^_^ How long have you had your ring? Has it faded at all?

                #29 TATrisha

                TATrisha

                  VIP Member

                • VIP Member
                • 12,377 posts
                • Wedding Date:April 11, 2008
                • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principle Akumal
                • LocationWisconsin

                Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

                Ok, according to our “Gemologist” here is the official response:

                Lab created stones DO have the same properties, and would not fade. The only stones that would fade would be either Kunzite (which can fade under any light), and Pink Topaz. The pink topaz is just “coated” with a substance, and if you clean it, or take it to a jeweler and don’t tell them and they steam or ultrasonic it, the coating may come off.

                ~Trisha~

                Destination Wedding Photographer & Travel Agent
                www.faberphotography.com - My latest destination wedding photos can be found HERE

                Disney Specialist  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

                 
                Looking for a travel agent that KNOWS DISNEY?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
                 
                Awards and recognition: 
                Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)   |  AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  |  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits | Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner   |   Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.


                #30 FutureMrsLewis

                FutureMrsLewis
                • Member
                • 583 posts

                  Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Tlseege
                  Ok, according to our “Gemologist” here is the official response:

                  Lab created stones DO have the same properties, and would not fade. The only stones that would fade would be either Kunzite (which can fade under any light), and Pink Topaz. The pink topaz is just “coated” with a substance, and if you clean it, or take it to a jeweler and don’t tell them and they steam or ultrasonic it, the coating may come off.
                  SO I CAN HAVE MY LAB-CREATED STONE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT FADING?!? ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?!?

                  Sorry, deep breath.. Aah, much better. This makes me so happy!!! I wanted a lab-created stone, not just for the price, but for the colour, so this makes me abso-freakin-lutely ecstatic! Aah! I could kiss you right now! lol But instead, here's a hug: Thank you so much!!






                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users