Photo

Are STD's really necessary?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hollym

hollym
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

Do I really need STDs? Can't I just send out the invitations right away instead? People would understand that I'm sending them out early because I'm having a DW right?
    mattandhollytietheknot.com

#2 MarieSam

MarieSam
    • VIP Member
    • 2,336 posts
      • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

I think it really depends on how much notice you're giving your guests.

STD's are certainly not a necessity, but I think many people send them out as a way to give people a "heads up" or a nice reminder, especially when the wedding is say...about 6+ months away. I think the logic behind it is because most people begin planning vacations or big trips several months in advance, but they don't usually firm things up until later. It's also a nice way to tell people to start saving up the $$$$

It's perfectly feasible to just send out an official invite that serves the same purpose. But I guess sometimes people tend to lose wedding invites or they forget about a wedding date when it's too far in advance.

Sending out a STD, and then a wedding invite gives you an extra opportunity to "alert" or remind your guests of the wedding. Doing both is not necessary ~ but it does make it more fun

#3 michellepicksbrent

michellepicksbrent
      • 1,448 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

STDs are not necessary as long as you provide your guests with enough notice of your wedding date. We told our guests individually when and where we are having our wedding and we have a wedding website to remind them, but we are also having a smallish wedding. I think your guests will understand why they are getting your invite early.

#4 tylersgirl

tylersgirl
        • 1,681 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

I agree with the girls above...just make sure to give your guests plenty of notice. I didn't send out save-the-dates. I am just sending my invitations a little earlier. Good luck!

#5 August2010Bride

August2010Bride
          • 369 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hello!

STD are not necessary, but with a family like mines, I defeinately sent them anyway. I am giving my family plenty of notice so that they can save money early. Either way it's up to you.

#6 sunsetbride1

sunsetbride1
            • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by MarieSam
              I think it really depends on how much notice you're giving your guests.

STD's are certainly not a necessity, but I think many people send them out as a way to give people a "heads up" or a nice reminder, especially when the wedding is say...about 6+ months away. I think the logic behind it is because most people begin planning vacations or big trips several months in advance, but they don't usually firm things up until later. It's also a nice way to tell people to start saving up the $$$$

It's perfectly feasible to just send out an official invite that serves the same purpose. But I guess sometimes people tend to lose wedding invites or they forget about a wedding date when it's too far in advance.

Sending out a STD, and then a wedding invite gives you an extra opportunity to "alert" or remind your guests of the wedding. Doing both is not necessary ~ but it does make it more fun
              I 100% agree... I couldn't have said it better myself MarieSam!!

#7 BBtoB

BBtoB
              • 399 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

So I sent out an electronic Save the Date through my TA. And I also am sent an evite to track how many people plan on going. This will allow me to spend more on invitations, since I will be sending 2 types, one with an announcemnt and invite to AHR, and one with both an invite and AHR invite. Eek!

#8 sstotz

sstotz
                • 298 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

I also did electronic STD.. just to put the word out and to help them remember when they need to ask for vacation time for the upcoming year..
                  ~Soon to be Shanny May
                  June 20th, 2009
                  Cabo San Lucas, MX

http://ticker.7910.o....nRkb3duISE.gif

#9 Sloan

Sloan
                  • 1,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

We didnt do STD's. Our wedding is in April, we sent our invites the first week of August with all the travel info included. Our RSVP date was September 15th, which was the day deposits/bookings were due.

#10 ikupoo

ikupoo
                    • 171 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

I emailed STD to lead them to my website waaay ahead of time, and I thought that sending the actual invite closer to the date will remind them about the wedding! People procrastinate and forget things so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users