bought my dress, but...

I so wish I had pictures, but they wouldn't let me take any sad.gif but that's not the problem. (I'll keep this short)...

I went to 4 bridal shops in NYC (not Kleinfelds), and experienced all different levels of service, selection, and prices. But my favorite salon couldn't get me an appt for a while so I went to Nicole Miller, which has a small bridal selection in the back of the boutique. And you know I found my dress there, so I bought it (paid in full) on the spot (and saved $500). BUT they don't have a seamstress, and I'm worried about the fact that they're not a full service bridal shop. (The other shop included alterations in the price of the gown!)

Did I make a mistake by buying my gown without giving it a second thought?

Which brings me to the big question that's on my mind: what's really important when shopping for your wedding dress (designer/ style, price, service, etc.) - and what are you willing to compromise?

What exactly are you worried about? Not having the shop that you bought the dress from do your alterations? Usually when places say that alterations are included in the price of the gown, it's probably because they've just raised the prices on all their gowns. Finding the perfect dress is most important, AND you saved $500! Now you just have to search for a good seamstress elsewhere.

When I was dress shopping, I wouldn't tolerate rude, pushy sales people. If they seemed snotty, I just left without trying anything on because I am very intimidated by people like that. The store I bought from was sooo nice and I felt really at ease there, plus I liked their selection. They do alterations there, but if they didn't, I would still buy there and worry about finding a good seamstress later.

I went to a few bridal shops during my search for my dress. I eventually ended up back at RK bridal in NYC. I liked my experience & decided to purchase my dress there. My consultant was very up front with me, patient and totally not pushy!

The main reason I went back to RK was because of their large selection & the service that I recv'd. The fact that they did do alterations there was also a plus.

The one thing that I did not like was that they didn't allow pictures initially. But once I paid for my dress & when I went back for my alterations appt, I was able to take pics freely.

I don't think that you made a mistake purchasing your dress at all, especially if its the one that you really wanted & the one that you love! And saving $500 does seem like a great deal.

In terms of alterations, could the bridal salon recommend anyone to you? My one suggestion is to definitely do your homework before going with any seamstress.

I agree with JUSTUSTWO...do your research and take pics of the dress, close up of all the details, BEFORE you alter it! There's a recent thread in here somewhere where the bride took pics before having alterations done. The seamstress screwed up and didn't align things properly...luckily the bride had taken before pics to show her exactly where she messed up.

that's my 2 cents wink.gif

The salon I went to also does not have a seamstress... but they recommended one and said she was doing wonders.

I picked up this dress first because it was the one I preferred, but also because the comfort of the salon was excellent, the sales person would take pics of the dress herself (back front details everything), and she was not trying to sell the most expensive. She had good advise and she was very helpful and friendly. I was never left alone with the dress hanging on my back with no help for 5 or 10 minutes like it happened in other places. Well, the service really made me pick the dress there and nowhere else.

They are so professional, I don't think they would recommend a seamstress that would not be the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klopez View Post
I agree with JUSTUSTWO...do your research and take pics of the dress, close up of all the details, BEFORE you alter it! There's a recent thread in here somewhere where the bride took pics before having alterations done. The seamstress screwed up and didn't align things properly...luckily the bride had taken before pics to show her exactly where she messed up.

that's my 2 cents wink.gif

that was me & my dress drama!

was just going to say i didn't think too much about where i got my dress from - if they hadn't offered alternation there...well...i'd probably have been better off - hahah! seriously though, i think all that matters is that you found your dress - it shouldn't be too hard to find a good seamstress in the NY metro area (i bet if you started a thread looking for one, another bride could give you a good reco)

so just be happy you have your dress - yay!!!

Congrats on finding your dress!!!

I actually went to the Nicole Miller shop in NY and almost bought my dress there as well. I would call the store and ask if they have anyone they would recommend. Either way, I agree with JUSTUSTWO and take lots of pics before/after; then do your homework and ask around for recommendations.

I did the same as JUSTUSTWO and ended up buying mine at RK Bridal for the same reasons.

Taking pics of the dress before hand is very good advice.. thanks for that! This wasn't the best service I had, but it was definitely the easiest place I went to- also RK bridal was pretty easy, if you know what you're looking for. I had a good experience there, but I did feel that the salesperson was trying to steer me into a Watters dress and away from some of the other designers I was interested in- though I will go back there for the bridesmaid dresses!

I read neen's tale of the blind seamstress and was alarmed! I'm glad it all worked out tho!relief.gif it goes to shows that everything has a way of working out- so I'm not stressing it.... yet....!