Blocking Hotel Rooms

Crazy question, but if you want to block hotel rooms for your guests but you're not sure how many are even coming yet, do you just over guess on the number? And then do you have to pay a deposit on every room you want in your block? smile29.gif

Hello,

When we set up a block for a hotel we just estimated a number we would need. We don't have to pay any deposit, and are not responsible for any unused rooms. Just make sure you ask what the policies are for that specific hotel.

We chose the Holiday Inn, and they are even upgraded our room to a suite if we book 10 rooms! There are good deals out there.

our place wanted a deposit... They wanted 50% down and said it would be reimbursed us for any unrented rooms... Who has that kind of money laying around when planning a wedding. So we worked it out that the rate for the room would be vaild through 60 days prior to the event so that we would not have to pay the deposit. And have been working with our WC to make sure everyone is in on time.

I wasn't planning on working with a travel agent. I wanted to block around 15 -20 rooms but I didn't know if you needed to pay a deposit on ALL the rooms because jeez thats a lot of money, lol. I think i'll talk to my resort specifially and ask what their policies are. Any one else have to put a deposit down on there block and if so how much was it?

Ya ask the resort. Each is different. We guessed but tried to do a few over just in case. We were able to get 10% off each for our guests, and didn't have to do a deposit. Each guest just needs to call and reserve one of the blocked rooms. We even get a free room for every 10 rooms booked, which is great cause we some very close friends, and my MOH my sister who can barely afford to even come so having a room they don't have to pay for really helps out!

Where are you having your wedding and planning to block rooms at? Some of the girls may have used them and could give you info on what they did

We set up a group contract/room block & the resort required a deposit of one night's stay for each room. The minimum for a block was 10 rooms & the group room rate was less than the published rate.

Also, we had to cancel the rooms that we did not think we were going to use by a certain time & the final payment was also due by a certain time which I think was like 30 days before our arrival.

It definitely helps to an idea of how many rooms you need before you get into a contract. Also, we made our guests give us their final payment about 2 weeks before the deadline date that the resort had given us. We wanted to make sure that we had everyone's money on time!

If you go this route, definitely read every line of your contract & pay attention to penalties.

We don't really have the extra cash to block rooms, so we are not. We do have a travel agent for people to book with. I'm a little nervous about the chance of the resort filling up before everyone can book, but my wedding is in August which is the off-season so hopefully it won't - I'll just have to cross my fingers and pray, I guess!