Ana y Jose Tulum Brides Post Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsustark View Post
Hello All AyJ Brides to be,

In regards to the outside vendor fee, can anyone else confirm the following:

for musicians, you pay a $200 outside vendor fee PLUS $150/hour for every hour they play?!?!

I understand why we pay an outside vendor fee that is not on their vendor list - its just part of the business. Fine, i get that. What I don't understand is that by finding these outside vendors ourselves we take the risk of them not performing up the standards of the people on her vendor list...but that is OUR RISK...so why do we have to PAY THEM these extra fees for something that can't be blamed on them but only us? AM I making any sense?

So based on all the fees, if you were to hire an outside DJ to play for 4 hours lets say, in just AyJ fees alone you will be paying $200 (outside vendor fee) + $600 (@$150/hour) = $800 - and this doesn't even include the fees the DJ is charging. I think this is highly unreasonable and a total scam.

If I am incorrect a/b all this, please somebody let me know. I have emailed Jackie and asked, but am still waiting a return reply.
Hi hsustark ~

It's probably best that you hear directly from Jackie since her answers quotes have been inconsistent. For the DJ, I booked DJ Bob. I am paying him $450 for 4 hours. Jackie quoted me an outside vendor fee of $100 per hour (= $400); which is still $100 cheaper than her DJ. However, some of the other brides on the forum I think she quoted a $200 outside vendor fee for the DJ, but I'm not sure. It's best to let her respond in writing. Also, I'm not sure when you're getting married, but you might want to ask Jackie for her list of vendors so you could possibly save money on the outside vendor fees.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ladies--

Jackie just emailed me and said that Turtle Bay Bakery is now on their preferred customer list! I actually have never seen that list but since a lot of us were thinking to use Turtle Bay I'm glad that Jackie is listening to us.

Also my understanding is that the vendor fee is 200 for cake, photographer and officiant but it is 100 per hour for musicians (no additional 200). It seems its best to get an email from Jackie documenting that so that there are no misunderstandings.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All:

We recently returned from our site visit to Tulum, and are seriously considering AyJ as our wedding venue. I promise to post my site information as soon as I get my act together and finalize our decision, which is taking longer than anticipated b/c I have cold feet!

We love AyJ b/c the location is perfect – we love the Tulum beach out of all of those we had seen (except maybe one, but it was too expensive), the AyJ property in and of itself is lovely, Jackie is a pro at putting these things together and I trust her taste and aesthetic.

However, nailing down some of the final items with this location is proving to be a bit frustrating. I am having a hard time with getting menu rates that are associated with this contract, and there is no more detail to what we have requested other than soup/salad for appetizer and fish/chicken for entrée, but I canâ€t get more information than that. I just want options just in case we have fewer guests than anticipated, we can up the choices, for example, and know what this will cost.

Plus, I found out yesterday that open bar does not include wine! You have to pay for the bottle for this. Iâ€m wondering if this will be a less expensive option for the two hours for dinner, but I know some of my guests are virtual fishes! Maybe we will have to forgo wine for this dinner – I hope our guests will not mind. I have attached the wine list that she sent me for those of you who do not have it already.

Iâ€m considering trying another place using a WC that we fell in love with, but Iâ€m wondering, is it worth it, trying to save $? And will I save that much in the long run b/c some of the prices seem to be more, and some less. I have reached out to her, but I might in the end just stick with AyJ b/c it is a safe bet to make. However, I do trust that this WC will do things in my interest, with J, I know that she is a savvy businesswoman.

As a general question, what type of documentation did you receive in order to feel comfortable with your contract? I think I will write up a separate document illustrating everything I know from what she has told me in addition to some assumptions that I am making to be perfectly clear b/f we move forward (or not).

Thanks everyone for this open forum, and for “listening†to me vent!

PS. Jackie has been great at getting back to me with confirmations although Iâ€m not always happy with the answers!

PPS. In reference to the above string, I asked Jackie about the outside vendor fees. Here is what she told me:

$200 us per vendor or $150 us per hour for musicians

I would check with her b/c it sounds like she has given different people different $s. This is an important question to ask if you have your heart set on a few outside vendors.

WINE%20LIST%202008[1].doc

Gr8ful--

I'm attaching the food and beverage menu that Jackie gave me. Did you not get this from her? Ignore the highlighting--I did that for myself.

What is the other place you are considering? Although it can be frustrating feeling nickel and dimed by Jackie I have complete faith that she will make our wedding fabulous and that is worth the extra money in the end (to me).

The other place that I would have considered in a similar price range is Al Cielo on Xpu Ha Beach. The wedding coordinator there (Donaji) is really fantastic, its also rustic and private and has good food.

At Ana y Jose we are doing an open bar before and after dinner and wine by the bottle during dinner. Did you try any of the wines? I thought the Mexican wine at our tasting were terrible but I'm a bit of a wine-o. I think I am going with the Chilean wines but I haven't actually tried them yet. If people order drinks from the bar during dinner we will pay per drink but I hoping that while people are eating they won't be ordering too too many cocktails.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions to help you make your decision.

anayjose F&B.doc

Gr8ful - I am getting married at Ana y Jose February 28 and I also agree with Sarah that I am confident that Jackie is worth the extra money. Ana y Jose came VERY highly recommended by several friends of friends that have been married there over the last few years. Because of this word-of-mouth recommendation, I have felt confident and comfortable in the contract and deposits I have made thus far. As far as the food and drink budget, we are splurging on open bar for the entire event and are going to serve wine only with dinner. I will happily update everyone after the big day with any more questions.

Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone would like to share these lights with me:

Click the image to open in full size.

I was thinking to get 20 to hang over the dinner tables in the grape orchard. They cost between 3.25 and 4.25 per lamp so the total will be aprox 75 dollars plus tax and shipping. I estimate it would be about 40 dollars each. Which ever of us is going down first could bring them and who ever is coming back could bring them back. We may even be able to sell them after on the forum to make some of the money back. They are same ones that were used in Lauren's wedding:

del Sol Photography Wedding Photojournalism

Kristin, When do you leave? Are you so excited?

Also, jamali gardens is having a sale and these are on sale 6 for 17 dollars (around 2.80 each). I think the colored ones are nicer but I thought you guys might be interested. You have to purchase 50 dollars worth of goods or they charge you a 10 dollar fee for some reason though. Click the image to open in full size.

They have other great things that I am thinking of getting and would be interested in sharing such as

to do this with:

and these

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! We had the most amazing wedding at Ana y Jose Beach Club last Saturday and I would like to let everyone know that the entire event was perfect! All of our guests said it was the best wedding they had ever been to! Thanks to Jackie, Claudia, Frankin and all the other A y J staff - the service was impeccable. The setting for the ceremony was unbelievable and our dinner was held under the grape tree and was simply magical. The food and cake were delicious. We had the most amazing band play at our reception that I would HIGHLY recommend - they are called LaFeMi (myspace.com/lafemimusica) and we booked them (as well as some drummers for rehearsal dinner through Elizabeth from Cabana Copal (eperez@enchanting-group.com).

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that we had an amazing (and very reasonably priced) rehearsal dinner the night before at Cabana Copal/ Bar Tun Tun. We booked everything through Maria Lidia (mlfiorentini@enchanting-group.com) and we could not have been happier with the presentation, food and ambience.

I have tried to attach some photos here so I hope it works. If anyone has any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.