At Home Reception - Suggestions

Hello,

I'm new at this and am wondering what most people do for thier AHR?? We are going away in November for the wedding and I thought a Backyard BBQ would be nice....but DEFINATELY not in Nov!!

I don't even know what is expected at an AHR...obviously we are going away for the wedding to save money, so we don't want to spend a lot on this when we get home, but would love to do something to get everyone that couldn't come out for the wedding together to celebrate. Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

We aren't looking for a big deal but just something to see all those who couldn't make it...

Thanks,

AHR have ranged from a full on reception w/ the cake and some girls even wear their dress again. We aren't really formal people, so we don't want that, and I don't want to wear my dress again. So we are doing a backyard BBQ on a college football day. So we're going to turn it into a griz football party/tailgate kind of thing. We'll have a couple kegs, burgers, hot dogs, and marshmallows over our fire pit. We're going to play the game outside, then when the game is over we're going to play photos of our wedding. Very informal! It's not really going to be a tailgate for anyone attend, but just our guests. We live a block and a half from the stadium, so people who have tickets to the game will have great parking.

Our AHR will be in August and we are doing a backyard BBQ type thing. I would definitely keep it casual (to keep costs down). Maybe you could think about having a party that incorporates your destination. For example, if you were getting married in Mexico, have a "fiesta" type party at home. You could just do Mexican appetizers and maybe even have like taco stations...that way it's indoors but cheap enough...just an example...where are you getting married?

Our AHR we are going to incorporate the beach. We are also having a BBQ style (mom's making EVERYTHING) but we are going to rent an outdoor pavillion so we will still need the set up of tables and junk. These days I don't think people are doing "traditional" receptions. I think it's all about what type of people you and your FI are. If you're fun and outgoing people....a traditional reception may not be for you. I like the post above that incororpated college football. Who knows...she and her FI may be big college football fans and this way people will remember the reception. Do what feels right for you and your FI. Good luck!

Yeah I too was wondering about this.. my wedding is also in November and wanted to know how long after the wedding to have the AHR...? I definitley want it to be in summer or spring or something cause in Canada sometimes the winter ain't so good to us!!! What is a good time frame after a wedding to host an AHR??

Hi,

I am getting married in Mexico June 11th. We are going to have our AHR the end of July or beginning of August (I want to have our professional photos back prior to the AHR).

We are having our at my FI's sisters house. She has a really nice house with multiple areas (a sunroom, backyard, large family-living room area, and a open finished basement). We are planning on having appetizers (some will be made some will be purchased) and will have alcohol (might be wine and beer or we may also have hard liquor). I plan on having a slideshow of pictures running in the basement on a big TV and then having some pictures and decorations around the house. We are planning on making it more of an open-house type event. People can come and go as they wish for several hours.

We hosted an event that was similar as a shower for my FI's brother and it was around $700-1000. That included renting some tables and heavy appetizers and drinks.

*I have thought about getting a professional photographer for it but am not sure.

Hope this helps

Thanks for these suggestions! Very helpful. We will be getting married in Mexico (Playa) - final decisions haven't been made yet! I did like the taco stand idea wink.gif and I loved the Open House idea as well.

I will definately have to do it indoors somewhere because YES Candadian winters aren't good for an outdoor bbq! :)

But gives me some good ideas to work with. Thanks again!

I've been tortured with this as well. At first I didn't want anything but my FI did and he was thinking a full out reception. But my whole reasoning for wanting to go away was to get away from all that. So I think we are going to have a small, appies only reception. And like you we are getting married in November so the BBQ thing wasn't really an option. The only thing I worry about is having something so close to Christmas so we might wait until January to have it.

Hope you can figure something out :)