How much do you give when you are a guest at a wedding?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 1elephant

• VIP Member
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

i'm with joanna; i typically spent $200-$300 depending on the person. my college friends and i decided we'd do $200/couple, which i thought was reasonable...course i didn't get that from them b/c i didn't have a traditional wedding....and now that we're married, we're giving what people gave us for the most part. it's hard b/c a lot of ppl didn't send a gift if they didn't come and now we're going to theirs.

joanna, are you from lake hopatcong? i think i recall seeing that......

#12 *Casey*

• 5,209 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

We usually spend about $100 on a gift. Less or more in terms of how good of friends we are.

#13 lenka14

• 151 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

We normally give $250 or $300 as a couple. I also always thought that you had to at least cover your plate. And with most weddings once you include the bar, it's usually over $100 per person.

#14 Martee

• 74 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

I'm with pearlygirl - you are all invited to my wedding We usually give $100 unless they are extremely close then it's $200
          Future Mrs. Storms

30 BOOKED!!

#15 jen_trev

• 71 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

We generally give between $150 and $200. Weddings in the Toronto area are pretty expensive and I like covering my plate.

#16 Spazz

• VIP Member
            • 10,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

We generally give $200, maybe a little more if they are a close friend.

#17 pryzeless

• 614 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JoLo908
                I think it depends on where you live... not to sound like one place is above the other, it's totally not... I am from an affluent town in NJ where people go way overboard on weddings... in NYC they usually do the same... it is expected to cover your plate typically, and as a couple we usually give $200 to $250 for a gift... Now, in a lot of cases, when you ask the couple after the wedding (close friends), they say their gifts were all over the charts... some a lot, some not, some didnt give at all!!! When I go to weddings for my friends from college (MD, PA, WV), everyone gives a smaller gift typically like $50 or something from the registry... but Jersey and New York, this whole tri-state area tend to do things over the top... SO bottom line... you give what you can!!! And if the person is your friend, they should understand that... PS my girls from college say that we in NJ are CRAZY with the amount spent on weddings and wedding gifts... I AGREE!!! lol

I totally agree, it depends on where you live. I generally give $125 a person and sometimes that barely covers the plate. In NY we do get crazy. I think we got a standard $200 a couple when we had our AHR.

#18 KLC77

• 2,207 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Yamille, I'm with you that we usually send a registry gift for the shower and then money for the actual wedding. The last wedding was for two good friends of ours and we gave $300. I'd say in general we are between 150-300. On the otherside of that we were invited to a wedding where we aren't very close to the couple and while we sent a gift for the shower (which I didn't attend) we didn't send a wedding gift since we didn't attend and were probably only really invited as a courtesy.

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#19 BachataBride

• Banned
                  • 9,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm with the "cheapos"!!! ahahahaha We usually spend around $50...unless it's someone close then we will give $100+ depending on how close! And it also depends on if we go or not - we had a huge wedding summer last year & didn't make it to most. We sent $50 to those as well.
                    I actually come from a REALLY small town and it is normal for some people to give $20!! ...that was quite a few years ago when I lived there, but yeah! I can't even imagine!!

#20 momofcnz

• Banned
                    • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

I think it's a regional thing. I'm from Nj too and we give between $200 - $300 as a couple for a wedding gift and around $50 on the shower gift, sometimes more depending on the relationship.
                      LBI bride to be

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users