@BeachGirl---I also am not a fan of the long tables, but I know that they do offer round tables to either seat 6 or 8 people. We are also planning for 30-40 guests and I am curious if the space will be too big for that many people. I wanted to ask Veronica what the dimensions of that space are because you can't really tell online. I also have not seen any pictures from receptions held in there, that's another question that I wanted to ask Veronica. Maybe she has pics of a reception there, it would be helpful!!

I also wanted to see about stringing round lanterns across the space. ANother bride who got married at ERC (but in the foyer) said that Veronica set up her lanterns and didn't charge anything for the set-up.

As far as the tea lights go, I was thinking of doing the battery powered ones as well, but since we are not right on the beach and its an enclosed outdoor area (from what I can tell) I think I am going to bring regular tealights. We are going with the gold package and it only includes one table decoration for the reception. I am thinking about taking the BM bouquets and the ceremony table decoration and using those for the reception tables, to try and save money. Otherwise, veronica said that they are $100 per table for the centerpieces! I also found online these really cool lights that are meant to sit on the bottom of vases to light up flower arrangements. My thought was to buy a bunch and put them in the fountain to light it up a little bit, thought it would be a really nice focal point for the reception.

I have not heard anything about the hair and make-up except that the wedding package does not include a trial run. I am not sure if I am going to go with them or not, but also not sure what the other options are.

We are staying at the resort from the Monday before the wedding until the Sunday after it. We are then going down to Secrets Maroma Beach for another 7 days for our honeymoon! I can't wait, only 9 more months to go.

We live in Arlington, VA right now. I used to live in DC (Capitol Hill)for a while until I moved in with my fiancee. Where in NoVA did you live before you moved?

@mich&adam----I am not sure what nights the other restaurants will be closed. I only heard about Agave on Friday nights because another bride posted that she was upset she couldn't have her welcome reception there on a Friday night because it was closed. Then I just asked Veronica what the deal was with receptions there. I would just send her an email to find out, but I think there is at least one restaurant closed every night of the week. At least that's how it was when we stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Veronica did say that we can use candles, there's no problem with having the open flame. I know (from a friend who got married there) that it does get really breezy in thre foyer too and they were not able to keep the candles lit, something to keep in mind. It is definitely going to be a busy month for weddings! I am just nervous that someone else will get married on the same day. :-( I know they allow two weddings a day there, but at least the first person to book a wedding on that date gets first choice for cermony time and reception location!

@Dimenzi-----I know that Agave is open on Tursday nights so I don't know if that could be an option, I would check with Veronica though. I also want to ask her about the size of the outdoor space at Agave to see if its a good size for the reception.

ShannonLeigh~

I'm thinking of using the chinese lanterns, too; and they're easy to pack. I've seen some pics with these lanterns on the tables, as part of the decoration. I am going to do lotus lanterns - they can sit on a flat surface or float on water. So, if we have the Agave courtyard, they would be really pretty in the fountain and scattered around. I think I may still go with battery powered tea lights for longevity to not have to worry about keeping them lit. We are also looking into launching sky lanterns at the reception, too, if the conditions are right. Thanks for sharing that info about the centerpieces. I was planning to use whatever flowers we have for the ceremony as well, but thought that would be additional decoration for what was provided. Now, I really will have to come up with something.

I lived in NoVA for 13 years before moving to NC. Most recently Reston and I worked in Arlington.

Ladies, the only thing that might be difficult about the dinner on the beach is that it seems to be very windy. I mean, we were there in June, and at night it was so windy that at the Lobster house and Grill it was difficult to eat because of the winds. Just trying to help out where I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonLeigh View Post
@BeachGirl---I also am not a fan of the long tables, but I know that they do offer round tables to either seat 6 or 8 people. We are also planning for 30-40 guests and I am curious if the space will be too big for that many people. I wanted to ask Veronica what the dimensions of that space are because you can't really tell online. I also have not seen any pictures from receptions held in there, that's another question that I wanted to ask Veronica. Maybe she has pics of a reception there, it would be helpful!!
I also wanted to see about stringing round lanterns across the space. ANother bride who got married at ERC (but in the foyer) said that Veronica set up her lanterns and didn't charge anything for the set-up.
As far as the tea lights go, I was thinking of doing the battery powered ones as well, but since we are not right on the beach and its an enclosed outdoor area (from what I can tell) I think I am going to bring regular tealights. We are going with the gold package and it only includes one table decoration for the reception. I am thinking about taking the BM bouquets and the ceremony table decoration and using those for the reception tables, to try and save money. Otherwise, veronica said that they are $100 per table for the centerpieces! I also found online these really cool lights that are meant to sit on the bottom of vases to light up flower arrangements. My thought was to buy a bunch and put them in the fountain to light it up a little bit, thought it would be a really nice focal point for the reception.
I have not heard anything about the hair and make-up except that the wedding package does not include a trial run. I am not sure if I am going to go with them or not, but also not sure what the other options are.
We are staying at the resort from the Monday before the wedding until the Sunday after it. We are then going down to Secrets Maroma Beach for another 7 days for our honeymoon! I can't wait, only 9 more months to go.
We live in Arlington, VA right now. I used to live in DC (Capitol Hill)for a while until I moved in with my fiancee. Where in NoVA did you live before you moved?

@mich&adam----I am not sure what nights the other restaurants will be closed. I only heard about Agave on Friday nights because another bride posted that she was upset she couldn't have her welcome reception there on a Friday night because it was closed. Then I just asked Veronica what the deal was with receptions there. I would just send her an email to find out, but I think there is at least one restaurant closed every night of the week. At least that's how it was when we stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres.
Veronica did say that we can use candles, there's no problem with having the open flame. I know (from a friend who got married there) that it does get really breezy in thre foyer too and they were not able to keep the candles lit, something to keep in mind. It is definitely going to be a busy month for weddings! I am just nervous that someone else will get married on the same day. :-( I know they allow two weddings a day there, but at least the first person to book a wedding on that date gets first choice for cermony time and reception location!

@Dimenzi-----I know that Agave is open on Tursday nights so I don't know if that could be an option, I would check with Veronica though. I also want to ask her about the size of the outdoor space at Agave to see if its a good size for the reception.
Thank you ShannonLeigh - GREAT POST!!! I hope there's no other weddings there for you or any of us either, stinks that they do allow 2 a day. Last question for now....until i think of more, when are you having your welcome dinner? I don't know if i should do it Monday night or Tuesday night, our Wedding is on Wed, April 28th at 5pm!!! Great idea about using the bridesmaides bouquets for the table decoration....$100 for addtional centerpieces is crazy, between the one we get with the gold package, any tealights we may have and the BM flowers, that is perfect....also, some one should check with Veronica....another girl said she left her lanterns at the resort and we should all ask Veronica about using them.....huh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimenzi View Post
Does anyone know what days the other restaurants are closed? Especially the Thursday night? I was thinking about the Agave as well as the outside area looks nice. Would 20-30 people be a good number for the outside area at the Agave?
Dimenzi - Oregano is closed on Thursdays. I have a picture of a reception being held there that Veronica sent me. Not sure how to upload photos here but if I can figure it out I'll try to post it.

Dimenzi - It does look nice because it doesn't look like the restaurant at all. It's on the first floor and you have a view of the ocean. I tried to post the picture but had no luck.

Can anyone help with instructions on posting pictures? It's a jpg. file and I dont have access to photobucket, etc. while at work.

Veronica also sent me pictures of an area outside the Agave restaurant called, Plaza Garibaldi. I would love to post these as well.

Does anyone have pictures of a reception inside Agave? My wedding is on a Friday and she stated that this is the restaurant that is closed on Fridays. Would like to see what it looks like set up.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Ladies!

I'm getting married at ERC in a month. My wedding is on a Friday. I emailed Veronica yesterday, concerned about how hot it was going to be on the foyer for our reception and she sent me pictures of Agave with a long table set up. But it doesn't look like there's much room for anthing else (DJ, dance floor). She also said the Lobster house is closed on Fridays so we could have it there. I'd be happy to send some the pics if you give me your email, but i can't figure out how to resize them or i'd attach them. I'll ask her about the lanterns that were left there, i wonder what color they are :)

Hey Ladies!

Congrats to all the Excellence Brides! My fiance and I are currently torn between two resorts; The Excellence and then the Elegance in Punta Cana, Dominican. We like to Excellence because it is adults only and the flights will be cheaper than flights to DR but other than that we are completely torn. So I was wondering if any brides in this group, married or engaged could help us out :)

Since the wedding coordinators at the hotel aren't very clear in their e-mails or with getting back to us, what are our options for receptions? We are currently set with a ceremony at the beach and then the reception at the space with the open sides and covered top (we weren't given a name for this place just pictures but it is NOT the foyer area).

However, I am 5'1 and my fiance is over 6'3. I need to wear heels! Plus I love heels :) So really I would like to avoid walking down a sand aisle is possible. But if I do a off-sand ceremony and an on the beach reception I heard it is much too windy. We don't mind paying the difference to reach the 50 maximum required for a beach reception but WOW can you tell we are so lost?! :)

Suggestions anyone? If anyone can provide me with names, locations and PICTURES of our ceremony and recpetion locations I would be forever grateful!! My e-mail is rhiannon_bs@hotmail.com. It's usually easier to use outside e-mail!!

Thanks everyone. You're all too kind! xo

Rhiannon

I have never been to the resort in DR, but I was told by my TA that the drive from the airport to the hotel is about and hour and a half on very bumpy roads. I have been the the ERC twice. It is absolutely beautiful. Everyone, bride or not, is made to feel like royalty. I am sure all of this would be the same in the DR too. Excellence resorts have that reputation. Just getting there and back is the big hassle.