Photo

Who's name is first on invitation?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 panther

panther
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

My Fianc© and I are having a debate about whos name should go first on the invitation. We are not traditionalists in any sense but I am curious as to what the proper etiquette is bride or groom first? And what others are doing? Also, if you are including parents names on the invitations whose parent’s names go first, bride or groom?

Maybe this should be in the invitiations thread, ooops!

#2 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
    • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

That is the beauty of making this your own tradition. If your parents are paying for the ceremony then it is etiquette for them to be on the invite and your name first given in marriage to FI, etc etc.

If you guys are paying together then again, you can do what you'd like but generally your name is first.

#3 **TIFFANY**

**TIFFANY**
      • 343 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

My parents are paying for the wedding and they are divorced so I listed my mom and then my dad announce the marriage of their daugher, my name, to my fiances name. I think it's all up to you on how you want to word things.

#4 BachataBride

BachataBride
        • Banned
        • 9,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

I did not include the parents names since we are paying for the wedding ourselves. I also put my name first, but I cleared this with FI first!! lol
          He actually always puts my name first for everything - if he's signing a card it's always Amanda & Jeff...me? it depends on who I'm sending the card to; my family I put my name first; his family, I put his first.
          In anycase, back to the topic! I say whatever feels & sounds right to you!

#5 *Casey*

*Casey*
          • 5,209 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

We aren't even putting the FIL's on the invitation, but we are having a very traditional wedding. Formal etiquette the brides name goes first (first and middle name only) then the grooms full name. Here's an example of what I found online:

Mr. and Mrs. Clyde C. Martin
            request the honor of your presence
            at the marriage of their daughter
            Margaret Ashley
            to
            Mr. Peter Phillip Chandler
            Saturday, the sixteenth of July
            Two thousand and Ten
            at five o'clock in the afternoon
            Woman's Library
            Route 6A
            Brewster, Massachusetts

Hope this helps!!!

#6 Bianca

Bianca
            • 1,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

My name was first... All the invites I looked at had the bride first, so thats what I did. We didnt put our parents names but we did invite everyone "together with our family"
              19 adults/3 children with flights booked! 10 rooms booked!
              http://dw.daisypath.com/BM2Hm4/.png

http://dpabride.blogspot.com/

#7 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 4,853 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

My name went first. We didnt do our parents name.

Ours went:
                The honor of your presence is requested at the wedding of
                stacey blah blah
                and
                Ely blah blah

etc,,,
                Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#8 KLC77

KLC77
                • 2,207 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

My name was first, then his. We have a more complicated family so to include everyone it just read~ Together with their parents, My Name and His Name, invite you to blah blah blah...
                  ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#9 sunsetbride1

sunsetbride1
                  • 1,083 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BachataBride
                    I did not include the parents names since we are paying for the wedding ourselves. I also put my name first, but I cleared this with FI first!! lol
                    He actually always puts my name first for everything - if he's signing a card it's always Amanda & Jeff...me? it depends on who I'm sending the card to; my family I put my name first; his family, I put his first.
                    In anycase, back to the topic! I say whatever feels & sounds right to you!
                    I will be doing this the same exact way as Amanda and usually handle all signing of couple-y things the same way.

It's up to you. In general, I would say if the parents are paying for the wedding; then put them first - perhaps use what Casey posted as a guide. O

#10 BakersGirl

BakersGirl
                    • 324 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

Great post!! We have been having the same debate. He got me our toasting flutes which were engraved with our Monogrammed initials....he put his name first, but I thought mine should be first.
                      :
                      Kelly & Michael
                      May 2, 2010
                      http://www.weddingco.../o102zbhsyi.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users