Originally Posted by kate7711
Hello all past/future brides!! I am planning on wedding at IRHS on May 18, 2013 and have TONS of questions for you past brides.. First off, congratulations on what must have been a beautiful and amazing wedding in Jamaica! I guess i will just ask the questions i have on my mind right now, and just post more as i think of them.. Everyone and anyone, please respond because I sure could use the help!!
1. How many months before your wedding did you send save the dates?
2. How many months before your wedding did you send invitations?
3. Did you use a travel agent? If so, I know most require a deposit to "hold" the rooms, did you pay this deposit yourself, then just got refunded the money once people paid?
4. Did you provide travel agent contact information on your save-the dates or invites (did you include their business cards??)
5. When did you find out how many people were REALLY coming. (I feel like most people are saying "yes were coming!" but im not sure if they are REALLY coming, or just trying to be polite). When did you get a final headcount.. and how did you budget your wedding without this headcount???
1. We sent STD magents (ordered from VistaPrint) 11 months before. I would recommend sending them a year in advance if you can.
2. We sent invitations 3 months before, but that's just a formality. I did put in RSVP cards pointing them to our website or phone number. Only about half the people actually RSVP'd. Things tend to be very untraditional with destinations weddings, people don't take them as seriously I guess.
3. Used our family travel agent, which means some things were a little unconventional, and she did pull strings for us. She arranged to have our quote valid for a month or two, to allow people to put their deposit down whenever they wanted (it's IMPOSSIBLE to get the whole group together at one time). She also held spaces without deposit. Also, when the prices dropped, she arranged to have our rates lowered. I don't think much of this happens usually
4. We sent STD's very early, so there was no travel info yet. We put that into on our wedding website and our facebook group. We sent invitations later, so there was no need to include travel info again, just the URL of the website.
5. One month to go, we still don't know who's coming for sure. We know how many are booked, but others are still waiting for last minute deals, so we don't know for sure. Also, many people have been saying for years that they will go for sure, and when the time comes they're not going after all. We didn't even know who was in our wedding party until about 2-3 months before the wedding. I was expecting this, so I didn't count on anyone until they actually booked. We didn't really need the final numbers because we're not doing OOT bags or anything, but I can see it getting very frustrating if you're trying to plan things and do a lot of extra stuff. For favours, we just ordered ~15-20 extras, just so we don't run out for sure.
Good luck with your planning!
Originally Posted by luvmoo
For those that have already sent your Notarized documents to the resort... It says in all of the docs to send the notarized papers via Purolator, UPS, DHL etc... has anyone sent them via express post rather than the couriers?? Only reason i am asking.. is i was just quoted from the courier companies.. between 61.00 and 87.00 to mail 4 pieces of paper!!!!!!!!!!! i went to 4 of them.. and the cheapest was Purolator, at 61.00.. I just find that is sooo expensive.. for 4 pieces of paper.. so i was thinking of just sending them via Canada post, express post.. that way they are still tracked.. but will be so much cheaper....
Thoughts, advise or stories on what you other ladies did??
Wow, that's crazy! I'm actually mailing our documents tomorrow. I was planning on using Canada Post, some method that's quick and with tracking. I don't see an issue. I had no idea the couriers were so expensive, the reason I was going to go with CP is because it's more convenient for me.