Congratulations and welcome!!! There is so much great information on these boards.
Here are some more answers to your questions from a future bride on how we are handling timing. I got engaged Jan. 21, 2011 and we are getting marries July 22, 2012. We had always promised people at least a years notice so they could save for a destination wedding, so we have spaced everything out pretty far.
1. I sent out save the dates around May 10, 2011. Word had pretty much already gotten around to everyone, so we figured we'd get these out as soon as we could.
2. We are planning on sending out our invites Jan. 3, 2012, and our RSVP will be due May 1, 2012. That is the final payment date, so I figure people will know by that time if they need to make final payment. Some could book last minute and some could cancel, but we'll have a close number by that point.
3. I am using a travel agent through AAA. They actually put the deposit down on my block for us, so that was nice. I blocked 12 rooms to start and they added 5 more when we filled it. I have had some troubles with my agent though, so the TA has been one of the most stressful parts for me. I just didn't get a good one, but am dealing with it and making sure we are all taken care of.
4. Yes, I included TA information in our STDs, and to date 30 people have booked. No business card. I just included her info on one of the pages on our boarding passes.
5. My goal is the May 1st date to know how many people are coming, obviously with the exception of last minute additions and cancellations. Hopefully those will be minimal. I have had 80 people express interest in coming, but I am not counting on that many. I built my budget looking at expenses if 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 people come to the wedding so that I can tell where I need to cut if the highest number come, thank goodness for excel. I am figuring we'll be around 60, but I really won't know until they all book.
Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by kate7711
Hello all past/future brides!! I am planning on wedding at IRHS on May 18, 2013 and have TONS of questions for you past brides.. First off, congratulations on what must have been a beautiful and amazing wedding in Jamaica! I guess i will just ask the questions i have on my mind right now, and just post more as i think of them.. Everyone and anyone, please respond because I sure could use the help!!1. How many months before your wedding did you send save the dates?2. How many months before your wedding did you send invitations?3. Did you use a travel agent? If so, I know most require a deposit to "hold" the rooms, did you pay this deposit yourself, then just got refunded the money once people paid?4. Did you provide travel agent contact information on your save-the dates or invites (did you include their business cards??)
5. When did you find out how many people were REALLY coming. (I feel like most people are saying "yes were coming!" but im not sure if they are REALLY coming, or just trying to be polite). When did you get a final headcount.. and how did you budget your wedding without this headcount???