Iberostar Rose Hall Brides - Post all info/questions here!

So after reading everyone's worries about not getting enough people, I have to ask for advice on the opposite! I would rather keep the number somewhat small, since I want to go all out for decorations- I'd like to take tablecloths, napkins, and do a whole bunch of DIY stuff. Plus $18 pp to eat plus $7-$10/hr for an open bar for each person....it just adds up. My FI actually has 10 brothers and sisters, ranging in age from 6-28. The older ones are all definitely coming with their spouses, but leaving their kids at home. His parents will also be bringing their older kids and leaving some of the younger ones at home. My mom is my only relative coming, plus a couple of my best friends. With those people and us, we're at about 16 people. His family has known for a couple years that when we got engaged we would be doing a destination wedding, so they've all been expecting it.

The issue I'm having now is that we were considering asking a few of my FI's cousins since we had extra space, which is fine by me, but now he's informed me some of his other relatives have invites themselves. They've been asking him for plans and told him they're coming. The problem with this is once we open it up past immediate family, we have to invite everyone or risk hurting people's feelings..... and his family is HUGE. I don't know how many would decide to come, but we could end up with our nice number of 16 going up to 40-50 easily. UGH! Any ideas on how to handle this? I really can't see myself telling the ones who have invited themselves that sorry, but it's only immediate family.... 

Just as another note, I remember someone talking about rates a few pages back, and there are so many better places to get rates than just from the Iberostar website. I think our guests are going to end up spending about $1600pp for flights from ND and 7 days/6 nights at the Suites. I know there are way better rates out there, but I didn't want to shop around, I just wanted it done! :)

Hi Kim,

My FI and I are inviting everyone to the destination wedding that we would be inviting if we had a wedding back home. We are also surprised by the amount of people that are interested in coming in to the wedding; it's looking like 50-75 people joining us in Jamaica!!!

We booked a group rate (holding 25 rooms) through Beach Bum Vacations and they offered us great rates, plus amazing incentives for the Bride and Groom: for 25 rooms booked we are getting a free cocktail hour with hand passed food, welcome party, and 7 nights Ocean View at the Grand! I would defiantly look into group rates at the Suites with Beach Bum. Come up with a list of things that you would like Iberostar to offer you for free or reduced cost since you will be bringing 50-60 people to stay at their resort for your wedding. We made a tired list of incentives based on the amount of rooms that are booked i.e. 10 rooms booked free cocktail hour and 3 nights free, the incentives increase with every additional 5 rooms we book.  Keep in mind that you can talk to other TAs about offering you such incentives for a group rate for your wedding. Before we went with Beach Bum we had 2 other agents trying to get us the same things but they weren't successful.

Let me know if you would like Beach Bums contact info.

p.s. From your last message: my wedding colors are fuchsia, lime green, and orange with 6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, with a flower girl & ring bearer (them and their parents will be staying at the Suites, kids are allowed to come over to the Grand if you are hosting a private event i.e. welcome party, rehearsal dinner, and wedding ceremony and reception)

Originally Posted by DeAngelis2be View Post

We booked a group rate (holding 25 rooms) through Beach Bum Vacations and they offered us great rates, plus amazing incentives for the Bride and Groom: for 25 rooms booked we are getting a free cocktail hour with hand passed food, welcome party, and 7 nights Ocean View at the Grand! I would defiantly look into group rates at the Suites with Beach Bum. Come up with a list of things that you would like Iberostar to offer you for free or reduced cost since you will be bringing 50-60 people to stay at their resort for your wedding. We made a tired list of incentives based on the amount of rooms that are booked i.e. 10 rooms booked free cocktail hour and 3 nights free, the incentives increase with every additional 5 rooms we book.  Keep in mind that you can talk to other TAs about offering you such incentives for a group rate for your wedding. Before we went with Beach Bum we had 2 other agents trying to get us the same things but they weren't successful.

This is fantastic!  I'm not dealing with a TA (maybe soon), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask Nicole to reduce some costs or include things for free.  In particular, I really don't agree with paying for the open bar (per person per hour, no less!).  I would also like them to waive the $30 fee for people coming over from the Beach (we have decided that we would pay this for our guests, but I would really prefer is they just wouldn't charge it to begin with).  I'd love to hear other brides experiences with getting costs reduced or eliminated (and would really appreciate a PM if you'd rather not post it publicly).  

You should really email both the Suites and Beach, and get all the relevant documents emailed to you, and while you're at it find out which dates are still available around the time you want.  I'll email you what I have.

Originally Posted by shanas View Post

Hi Ladies,

Please help if you can...I am considering both the beach and the suites. I would really like to do a group non-private reservation for dinner, (but we'll probably have 45-60 people) to make it easy and save on added expenses, and have a private cocktail hour with maybe a steel drum band or something so that we have a little private time that's more social than the actual meal.

I am hoping to get some information on the following....

1) What the max amount of people (and minimums I guess if they have them) you can have at each of the ala carte restaurants for a non-private dinner?

2) For non-private dinners are there other expenses besides the additional $18 pp charge I was told about?

3) Anyone have pictures they can post of the ala carte restaurant dinners? ceremony locations?

4) Charges for cocktail hour? I think I read $8 per person per hour...can you do for just one hour and are their other costs besides the pp charge? what are location options for this and I assume they would make arrangements for a band for a cost at a cocktail hour?

5) Any other surprise "mandatory" costs I should know about besides the cost of the ceremony package ($2100 I think it was at the Beach) and $18 pp charge above the 8 or so guests the package includes? I realize that photography, extra flowers, the cocktail hour and music will cost extra, but are there other resort wedding fees I may not be thinking about?

I'd love to talk to a bride who may have done something similar to this. If anyone is willing to let me call them and pick their brain for a few minutes, please send me an e-mail at shanasistek@gmail.com and let me know. I am a planner and the difficulty getting complete information is just killing me!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Trying to get items reduced by the WC  is impossible prior to them knowing the final head count for guests booked at the Iberostar. I was there in person in November and they wouldn't budge for ANYTHING. Best way to get what you what is negotiating it in your group rate with your TA.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by starrysim View Post

Quote:

This is fantastic!  I'm not dealing with a TA (maybe soon), but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask Nicole to reduce some costs or include things for free.  In particular, I really don't agree with paying for the open bar (per person per hour, no less!).  I would also like them to waive the $30 fee for people coming over from the Beach (we have decided that we would pay this for our guests, but I would really prefer is they just wouldn't charge it to begin with).  I'd love to hear other brides experiences with getting costs reduced or eliminated (and would really appreciate a PM if you'd rather not post it publicly).  

The thing is, many of our guests may not book through our travel agent - I'm pretty sure we'll have people booking all over the place, and some will wait for last minute.  If we have 40 guests and only a third booked through the TA, then we don't really have any leverage with the TA.  I guess I'll just have to do the best I can...

Trying to get items reduced by the WC  is impossible prior to them knowing the final head count for guests booked at the Iberostar. I was there in person in November and they wouldn't budge for ANYTHING. Best way to get what you what is negotiating it in your group rate with your TA.