International Service Fees

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Duchess

• 358 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

Is this common? I just paid the last $8000 of our wedding, in 2 payments on my bank card visa. So I was checking the balance, and one of the payments is still pending. But the one that is complete, has a $118 service fee associated with it. I called the bank, and they said that anytime you use your bank card as a credit card, debit card, or withdrawl from ATM, it is subject to a 3% fee. I asked who applied the fee, and it was the bank, not some international commerce organization or the wedding company.

Is this common for Mexico weddings? Or, is this something crappy that my bank does? When the 2nd payment posts, I guess another $118 will be attached.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Kelly C

Kelly C
    • 2,051 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

I didnt have any extra fee attached. That sounds alittle crappy to me.
      Kerrington Danielle was born 6/23/09 12:31 pm 7lbs 14oz.

#3 Yari

• VIP Member
      • 10,928 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Yup! The same thing happened to us...it is part of the foreign exchange rate and it blows!

#4 Kat81

• VIP Member
        • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

My Credit Card charged this as well. So with my next payment I used my bank card and didn't get any charges. Mine was a Mastercard, they told me all mastercards charge it... I guess if it was a Mastercard that is why.

#5 MarieSam

• VIP Member
          • 2,336 posts
            • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

Yep, I've been victim to the crappy International Service Fee many times before in Mexico and throughout Europe. It's something you definitely gotta ask your credit card company about before you travel abroad, I think the charges vary depending on your card provider.

#6 Duchess

• 358 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

Mine was a Visa, but when I asked if I used it as a bank card instead of a credit card, they said it would still charge.

You know, I joined that crappy little bank when I graduated from college 10 years ago, and stayed with them even tho I knew they were not the best. Now I wish I moved to another bank! I guess thats what Loyalty gets you!

#7 katrina

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 4,328 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

that didn't happen to us in with mexico as we used cash and traveler's checks to pay for the wedding. but when we booked our honeymoon (belize) we received the same charges. it's annoying because it certainly isn't something you think about budgeting in..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users