Photo

10 Budgeting Tips for the Frugal Minded :)

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#291 thatplainjane

thatplainjane
  • Banned
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

VistaPrint is amazing. I heard about them through some friends in college, actually (haha, college kids know all the best budgeting stuff... sometimes). 

Also, does anyone know anything about planning a wedding with "nontraditional" options? "Have your wedding on a Friday night or a Sunday afternoon. Serve lunch instead of dinner, or just serve hors d’oeuvres." via  http://www.marriage....ng-on-a-budget/

Is this even feasible for destination weddings??

#292 thatplainjane

thatplainjane
    • Banned
    • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

ALSO just found this link from TheKnot: http://wedding.thekn...ing-budget.aspx

They have a cool? (or scary) wedding budget calculator. Here ya go: http://wedding.thekn...ing-budget.aspx

Needless to say, I need to cut down the # of guests.

#293 atalanta

atalanta
      • 326 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

I love this thread! My sister-in-law bought her wedding dress from Goodwill, and I'm buying mine from ebay. That's all I've got right now, but I'll be sure to add more as it comes.

#294 atalanta

atalanta
        • 326 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

Frugal help, please. I am getting married at a private villa in Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Most of the brides who will be getting married at the villa that I am are getting packages at all-inclusive resorts for them and their guests. I understand that. Some of the AI packages are very cost-savings. Here is where I am having problems.

Many of these resorts have free weddings that include a free bouqet and boutonniere, free rehearsal dinners (it's an all inclusive, right?) and upgraded rooms for the bride and groom, but only if you have your free wedding there. Well, why am I not entitled to all of this free stuff because I am not having my free wedding there? Isn't the idea to have your free wedding there to get lots of rooms booked. Well, I am booking as many rooms as I would if I were having a free wedding and (giving them as many guests) and don't require all of their other services. Anyone else understand from where I am coming? Any suggestions? Previous experience?

#295 bride3183

bride3183
          • 173 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

That's true.. I was thinking about doing something like that but I also want to be able to get to the resort and RELAX, instead of running around and worrying about things.  We'll see!  Thanks for the ideas everyone this thread is really helpful!

Originally Posted by Brenners 

JBailey - if there is a Wal-Mart or something similar nearby where you can buy some items then you don't have to ship them or carry them down yourself.  I know other brides have done this before with great success.

Dreams Los Cabos - October 29, 2011

#296 mexicobride422

mexicobride422
            • 158 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

What a great post!

I've started to worry about our budget but you are absolutely right.. I still have 11 months to go and plenty of time to be both creative and cautious of spending:)

#297 rae12vb

rae12vb
              • 168 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Great, useful post!  Thanks!!

Has anyone had a beautiful destination wedding for only 5k?

Getting Married at Moon Palace 8-23-11!!!

#298 Brenners

Brenners
                • 807 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Atalanta, are you saying that you are getting married at a different villa from the one where you are staying?  Are all of your guests staying at the same resort as you?  If so, then I would ask if you could get some of those free upgrades since you are booking x number of rooms at their resort and providing them with those customers.  Or am I understanding the question wrong??

Originally Posted by atalanta 

Frugal help, please. I am getting married at a private villa in Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Most of the brides who will be getting married at the villa that I am are getting packages at all-inclusive resorts for them and their guests. I understand that. Some of the AI packages are very cost-savings. Here is where I am having problems.

Many of these resorts have free weddings that include a free bouqet and boutonniere, free rehearsal dinners (it's an all inclusive, right?) and upgraded rooms for the bride and groom, but only if you have your free wedding there. Well, why am I not entitled to all of this free stuff because I am not having my free wedding there? Isn't the idea to have your free wedding there to get lots of rooms booked. Well, I am booking as many rooms as I would if I were having a free wedding and (giving them as many guests) and don't require all of their other services. Anyone else understand from where I am coming? Any suggestions? Previous experience?

Attached Files

#299 Brenners

Brenners
                  • 807 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

I have also seen other brides coordinate with one another on here if they are getting married at the same resort around the same time.  Meaning, they split the cost of the items, the first bride uses them first and then the second bride is there the following week or so and then uses them herself.  So cost of the materials/goods/whatever and the cost of shipping or hauling them down there is all shared between the two brides. 

Originally Posted by jbailey3183 

That's true.. I was thinking about doing something like that but I also want to be able to get to the resort and RELAX, instead of running around and worrying about things.  We'll see!  Thanks for the ideas everyone this thread is really helpful!

#300 atalanta

atalanta
                    • 326 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi Brenners,

Yes, I am getting married at a villa, which does not hosts overnight guests outside the wedding. I'm hoping most of my guests will stay at the same resort as me. I've been trying to contact group sales at the resorts, but they won't let me talk with anyone but the wedding coordinator. The wedding coordinator won't call me back. Grrrrr! The manager says she is coordinating other bride's weddings.

I've also talked to other brides and they have not been able to get any of the same deals the other resort brides are getting. If I only Icould only talk to someone....

Originally Posted by Brenners 

Atalanta, are you saying that you are getting married at a different villa from the one where you are staying?  Are all of your guests staying at the same resort as you?  If so, then I would ask if you could get some of those free upgrades since you are booking x number of rooms at their resort and providing them with those customers.  Or am I understanding the question wrong??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users