10 Budgeting Tips for the Frugal Minded :)

the key is def sticking to a budget, but also bargain shop! I spend so much time online buying one thing, I am so glad I started planning early, but I get great deals! Also try lot-less stores, like big lots, ollies, christmas tree shoppes, etc. You will find great stuff, but when u find it, buy it! Don't wait or it will be gone! Also, remember you can always sell your unwanted items to other brides! I have bought other brides wedding items on here in the past, and all great deals! I will be doing the same after my wedding!!!

Thanks. Yes, after doing a bit more research I found that most resorts do charge so I will probably be making my own centerpieces and bringing them from here. I can get them done for about $10 vs. $40 each at the hotel :)

Originally Posted by FabiLara View Post

These are awesome tips, thank you so much, OP!

Here are mine

1- Take the 3 biggest expenses on your budget, and sweat to negotiate them. Truth is, most of the Western world is in a recession-like economy, so trust me, they need your business to pay the mortgage on their expensive house they decided to buy in 07 and prior, when money seemed to be growing on trees in this industry. Just ask! My wise dad says "What have you got to lose? You ALREADY have a NO! ". Gotta lov'im! For FI and I, we plan to spend the most money on our honeymoon, so I've already signed up to their newsletter and am waiting for discounts, or we might sign up to a vacation club and get some nice discounts. Remember: a tiny 10% discount off a big ticket item will be bigger than a huge 50% off a small ticket item. Go for the big stuff first!

2- Allow yourself time to change your mind. Although you've fallen in love with THAT 5k photographer, chances are, you can still find a better package or a better value photog. I've been looking into this for a LONG time, and trust me, if you fall in love with a photog or dress, or videographer, keep looking and in a couple of months you'll find one you'll love just as much, for much less money (own experience).

3- Be ready to slash things altogether. Some people on this forum are not having a bridal party, others not having a cake, or programs, or OOT bags, or open bars....the list goes on. If you don't really want it, consider scrapping it.

4- Think to yourself "If I wasn't getting married, would this be a good purchase on its own?". Most times, we think that because someone slapped the name "wedding" on a product, it's better quality or "worth it". Not always so!

5- Choose your location CAREFULLY. For us, it meant changing from Jamaica to Mexico - so far, much better value. We've also decided on a location that will allow us to have our own vendors, more freedom usually means better price. 

6- google locally! For a google search for whatever you want, but using google.com.mx for Mexico, or google.com.jm, select "pages from _____ only" at the left hand side and look for ideas and vendors!

Best of luck to all of us frugal brides!

These are great tips! I'm certainly a budget person and my family, including my FI, makes fun of me because it seems like the deals always follow me. I just love that feeling of getting something for a steal haha. I don't consider myself cheap, but if I can get something I want for less then why not? I told my FI that he can rest assured that the wedding will cost us the least amount possible. 

We definitely chose Mexico for the value. We loved the Dominican and the beaches are nicer, but we thought a lot of people might not be able to make it, and it would cost us a lot more as well. I'm already thinking of decorations that are light and small enough to fit in a suitcase without paying the overweight fee. I also like to sew, so I think I'll be making my own chair bows. I get a discount at the fabric store, so that might be the way to go. I'm really into DIY, so I enjoy doing these things. 

Another great place to find decorations and get a bit creative is IKEA! 

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by FabiLara View Post

These are awesome tips, thank you so much, OP!

Here are mine

1- Take the 3 biggest expenses on your budget, and sweat to negotiate them. Truth is, most of the Western world is in a recession-like economy, so trust me, they need your business to pay the mortgage on their expensive house they decided to buy in 07 and prior, when money seemed to be growing on trees in this industry. Just ask! My wise dad says "What have you got to lose? You ALREADY have a NO! ". Gotta lov'im! For FI and I, we plan to spend the most money on our honeymoon, so I've already signed up to their newsletter and am waiting for discounts, or we might sign up to a vacation club and get some nice discounts. Remember: a tiny 10% discount off a big ticket item will be bigger than a huge 50% off a small ticket item. Go for the big stuff first!

2- Allow yourself time to change your mind. Although you've fallen in love with THAT 5k photographer, chances are, you can still find a better package or a better value photog. I've been looking into this for a LONG time, and trust me, if you fall in love with a photog or dress, or videographer, keep looking and in a couple of months you'll find one you'll love just as much, for much less money (own experience).

3- Be ready to slash things altogether. Some people on this forum are not having a bridal party, others not having a cake, or programs, or OOT bags, or open bars....the list goes on. If you don't really want it, consider scrapping it.

4- Think to yourself "If I wasn't getting married, would this be a good purchase on its own?". Most times, we think that because someone slapped the name "wedding" on a product, it's better quality or "worth it". Not always so!

5- Choose your location CAREFULLY. For us, it meant changing from Jamaica to Mexico - so far, much better value. We've also decided on a location that will allow us to have our own vendors, more freedom usually means better price. 

6- google locally! For a google search for whatever you want, but using google.com.mx for Mexico, or google.com.jm, select "pages from _____ only" at the left hand side and look for ideas and vendors!

Best of luck to all of us frugal brides!

These are excellent tips!  We just put together a bottom-up list of all of our potential costs and it totaled to $27,000! Not incl. engagement ring or honeymoon.  We thought a destination wedding was going to be cheaper.  We'll be putting some of these tips to use.