Photo

Why won't he marry me NOW!?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cdc0427

cdc0427
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

Ok, I don't have good dental insurance and his is better than mine. I told him that I HAVE to get my teeth fixed before the wedding which is going to cost me between $3000-$4000. To cut that cost nearly in half or more, I think we should get married now so he can put me on his insurance. Plus because he already has the kids on his medical which means he's paying for a whole family so if he adds me, it won't cost him anything extra and it will save me a total of like $130 a month.
    I told him that it would be our little secret, no one has to know where married. He said it would be deceitful to our guest who are paying all that money to go to our DW and for all that we can go to the JP and just have some kind of reception here. I DON'T WANT THAT!

What's your opinion?

#2 missdanelle

missdanelle
    • 687 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

I can totally relate to your situation! In my opinion you are right... whats the big deal? Alot of people get "legally" married before their DW for alot of reasons... My fiance and I are doing that to save the time and money that it costs to translate/transfer everything to the US. Obviously this is something that is of importance to you and your Fiance should see that. No one would EVER have to know.

#3 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
      • VIP Member
      • 18,452 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

I didnt want to get married here and keep it from my guests because i thought it would hurt feelings if it ever got out. But since i made that decision i've seen tons of girls on here get married legally in the US and have their symbolics in Mexico or the DR. And if I would of had to get my teeth fixed like you than hell ya I would of gotten married here secretly and not felt bad about it. Honestly, I kind of regret not getting married legally at home because now i'm waiting for my marriage license to come which i than have to get translated.

Oh since your getting married in Mexico, if you got married legally here you wouldnt have to do the blood tests. Your fi isnt afraid of needles is he? If he is than use that to your advantage.
        ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
        Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
        Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#4 tylersgirl

tylersgirl
        • 1,681 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

I don't blame you. We are getting married by the JP here and just keeping it a secret. I don't think any of my guests will be disappointed if they find out though! I say go for it! Especially for the sake of the teeth, haha. Good luck!!

#5 ylopez87

ylopez87
          • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I totally agree with you on this one! FI and I are getting married legally in the states and having our spiritual ceremony in PV. We are only telling our parents and no one else, that way everyone thinks they are attending our actual legal ceremony. And if it saves you guys money i say why not!

#6 Chiquita

Chiquita
            • 2,674 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

Not sure if it's the same in Canada as the USA.. but I was on my FI's dental before we got married. We were living together common-law for about 2 years so it was no big deal to add me to his dental. Are you guys living together? In the states do you HAVE to be married in order to be added to someone's benefits?

#7 cdc0427

cdc0427
              • 330 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Chiquita
                Not sure if it's the same in Canada as the USA.. but I was on my FI's dental before we got married. We were living together common-law for about 2 years so it was no big deal to add me to his dental. Are you guys living together? In the states do you HAVE to be married in order to be added to someone's benefits?
                In the US it is per state. In Pennsylvania, common-law doesn't exist anymore. It's crazy because we have basically lived together for about 9 years and have the kids. For him to add me to his insurance he has to show his job a marriage license.

#8 Jess

Jess
                • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

yeah I sell insurance here in CA - here you can add domestic partners at open enrollment (you don't need to be marrieD) - did you check into that??

#9 Jess

Jess
                  • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

oops sorry just saw your post after I posted mine - bummer!

#10 lil_miss_frogg

lil_miss_frogg
                    • 826 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

Georgia doesn't have common law but we do have Domestic Partners. My FI is on my insurance and we have life insurance together. I think it is a state by state thing!
                      http://i44.tinypic.com/aemd8w.jpg
                      My Babies
                      "Love isn't about finding a perfect person,
                      it's seeing an imperfect person perfectly!"
                      http://tickers.Ticke....00ff/event.pnghttp://tickers.Ticke....JZW/weight.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users