"First look" photos vs. post-ceremony photos???

Personally, I prefer to do the portraits prior to the ceremony, as I find that it is more relaxing for my clients, and it also is less stressful and easier for everybody involved (including myself). Plus, it eliminates the need for the guests to wait, and allows the couple to enjoy their cocktail hour with their family and friends. However, as this is my client's day, it is also their decision to make. I let them know the benefits and advantages, and then they let me know which way they want to do it. So, either way, it's all good! cheesy.gif

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Tod

we saw each other before the ceremony, and i'm SOOOO glad we did. it was so cool to have that first moment alone, and also Joe broke down crying :) Which he didn't think he would do, and I know he was glad that we had that moment alone rather than in front of 45 people.

Plus we didn't have another moment alone for the rest of the night, so I'm very glad our wedding started off with us sharing a few minutes with just us.

We also did pictures before the ceremony and it was great to have that moment together alone before everything started. Our main reason for doing this was that we didn't want to spend time doing it after the ceremony since we didn't want our guests to just wait around for us. We wanted to spend time with them right after and also take group pictures. It turned out perfect because our pre-ceremony shots were taken on 5th ave (Playa del Carmen), so we got lots of colourful architectural shots, and then post ceremony we did the pictures on the beach with our guests. So we got a variety of different types of shots, which I loved. Also, seeing eachother before the ceremony really calmed our nerves, especially for FI who was really concerned about bawling in front of everyone (which he ended up doing anyways when I walked down the aisle - so cute!). Also, I changed dresses for the ceremony which he didn't know about, so it was a bit of a surprise for him. Even though we saw eachother before the ceremony, we still had that special moment when our eyes met as I walked down the aisle. It still took my breath away. That I did not expect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Driscoll Photography View Post
Personally, I prefer to do the portraits prior to the ceremony, as I find that it is more relaxing for my clients, and it also is less stressful and easier for everybody involved (including myself). Plus, it eliminates the need for the guests to wait, and allows the couple to enjoy their cocktail hour with their family and friends. However, as this is my client's day, it is also their decision to make. I let them know the benefits and advantages, and then they let me know which way they want to do it. So, either way, it's all good! cheesy.gif

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Tod

wow Tod we see things completely opposite... but thats what makes life so great...

I feel that while it is nice to get some of the portraits done before hand, the bride and groom are still nervous because they still have to do the ceremony... whereas doing the portraits after is easier because now everyone is mellow now that everything except the first dance (last bit of pressure) is done.

as far as the "getting to the cocktail hour" most receptions last between 2 and 4 hours, which is plenty of time to see and spend time with everyone...

just my .02

nic

Marie Sam, I say do it. We had our ceremony at 5:30 which was right before sunset. I have some nice pics with me and the rest of the bridal parties and my parents and kids - but none of me and DH.

In hindsight I would have had the photog take pics of me and him prior. Once the ceremony was over, the photographer was getting mad because everyone was taking pics and the flashes were all going off at the same time and his pictures were coming out too bright. I say do it before the make up smears and your nose turns red from crying. My siggy pic is the only pro pic of me and DH alone.

DO IT!!

great question!!! i'm a total traditional girl so i'm choosing to wait till the ceremony to see each other. up to now my FI has NO IDEA of what bridal look i will have or an idea of what shape silhouette my dress is!

i want him to see me for the first time while he's waiting for me at the altar. =)

we are buying time to take pictures after the ceremony by allowing about 2 hours for photography:

1-hour professional pictures with wedding entourage, family members, etc

1-hour alone photography of my FI and us.

then we join the cocktail party after picture taking.

the choice is up to you. let your heart decide =)

Thanks so much for the advice and your opinions!!!

I talked to FI last night and he's totally fine with a "first look" session, YAY elefant.gif He did however jokingly warn me that I must be prepared to be "groped and molested" ~ yeah my FI is a nut!!! hehehe. rofl.gif And I totally forgot that we are planning to get legally married the Friday before we leave so the whole bad luck thing doesn't really apply rolleyes.gif

Also my photographer said the brides who chose to do one were always so glad they did. So we are most likely gonna do a first look session ~ I think the tears and surreal feelings when we see each as I walk down the aisle will come regardless humble.gif, I'm pretty confident in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
it was nice knowing we already had some great couple shots when my makeup was fresh & we were not sweaty. I think it helped me relax during the ceremony to get some of the emotion out before.
Great point Morgan, I never thought of the makeup factor. I am def. one that has "shiny face" problems so doing the pics beforehand would def. help in this area!! Thanks ~ oh yeah, your "first look" pics are gorgeous ~ if I decide to do it, I hope mine turn out just as nice! wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeMrsE View Post
the photographer was getting mad because everyone was taking pics and the flashes were all going off at the same time and his pictures were coming out too bright. I say do it before the make up smears and your nose turns red from crying. My siggy pic is the only pro pic of me and DH alone. DO IT!!
Well Celina have comfort in knowing although it is the only one with just you two, it's a beautiful pic hug2.gif And I swear if my photogs even hint at attitude she and he (married couple) will get a boatload of bridezilla pics, lol. girl_werewolf.gif Things will shitfan.gif I promise you that, hehehe. I know I will be a crier, so again, I think the first look thing will probably capture me looking my best before I become a crying mess, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieSam View Post
Well Celina have comfort in knowing although it is the only one with just you two, it's a beautiful pic hug2.gif And I swear if my photogs even hint at attitude she and he (married couple) will get a boatload of bridezilla pics, lol. girl_werewolf.gif Things will shitfan.gif I promise you that, hehehe. I know I will be a crier, so again, I think the first look thing will probably capture me looking my best before I become a crying mess, lol.
I'm a cryer too, but I didn't want to cry at the wedding. When I cry my nose runs & my eyes get puffy. Luckily I didn't cry at all.

We did the legal stuff before. even though we kept it really casual & mostly silly and fun, it still got out some of the emotion and nerves.

Then 2 days before the wedding we sat on the spot where the ceremony would be & wrote our vows. We read them to each other then & I got the tears out.

By the time we had the ceremony, I was relaxed. I know some people like to save up all the emotion to feel all at once. I wanted to get some out before so i wasn't so emotional. If I was crying while saying my vows & worried about my nose running, I think i would have been distracted. I also wanted to have these big moments, like the first time we saw each other & the first time we read our vows private.

it's like if he proposed to me infront of a room full of people. I think I'd be too self-conscious to really soak up the moment.

It's definitly a personal preference. i've heard of couples not seeing each other for 6 months before the wedding just for that big impact. I think as long as the couple does what suites them, they won't regret it.

We also did a ton of pictures after the ceremony. We took about 45 min of pictures before. Then we took about 1-1.5 hours after. We didn't have a bridal party. We did a quick group photo & spent the rest of the time doing couples pics. I feel like a destination wedding allowed us this time. We had already spent a lot of time with our guests by the day of the wedding. They just did their own thing & i don't think anyone missed us while we were off taking pictures. At a traditional wedding, the reception is often the first chance you have to spend with the couple. At a DW, you have the whole trip. So we spent a lot of time just the two of us on our wedding day. I really enjoyed it that way.