Jump to content


Non-Mexican photographer is illegal??

  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#11 Jess

  • Sr. Member
  • 4,455 posts

    Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

    thanks Morgan!

    #12 Ayita

    • Member
    • 861 posts

      Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

      Originally Posted by KAMAY11
      So how come many brides in the past (including myself) have been able to bring down our own photographers? Have we been doing this illegally then?

      I don't think so.....
      Well, I don't say you cannot bring them, I say they are not supposed to work and earn money without the proper work permit... The Hotel certainly does not really care if you have the paperwork, if there is an issue it's the photographer that will have problems, or you for hiring somebody not authorized to work in Mexico. The hotel does not have any legal relationship with the photographer. But you can take the risk if you want to. The only person I heard ever had problems was this photographer in Tulum ruins site. I was in contact with one photogrpaher in the US and the work permit weas in her list of requirements. I quickly started looking for a local photographer because I have enough on my plate - I did not want to deal with somebody else's paperwork on top of it.

      #13 Mango Deck

      Mango Deck
      • Newbie
      • 141 posts

        Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

        Hi there

        In this case, it IS illegal, is like a mexican photographer going to the US to work. But it's doable, some resorts ask you to have the Photographer staying with them because, sometimes, they have their own guy doing the photo session.

        WHat the WC told you is, at some point true. The government IF they find out, has to go through a very long process, and they would they won't cancel the wedding since the only person that is breaking the law is the photographer, but in order for the government to find out, they would have to be warned ahead of time and given the exact, date, hour and location.
        Also, there is a the option of filling the permit at the airport, like a "day pass" and with that you're safe on that issue.

        #14 ACDCDCAC

        • Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

        Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

        regardless of anything, i would ask the resort and make sure to get the answer in writing and take it with you when you go :) that way there can be no argument.

        #15 BVP

        • Newbie
        • 108 posts

          Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

          This is a sore subject with many of the vendors here in Cabo... It equates to Mexicans going over to the U.S. and working illegally.

          In mexico - we "Expats" jump through MAJOR hoops to be able to immigrate here and to legally work here. Also we pay ALOT of taxes to the Hacienda (IRS) on our income...

          It just seems unfair to a lot of us that outsiders come in and work in our market and also don't have to pay taxes on what they are earning.

          That said, if you are convinced that your out-of-town Photog is the one for you - don't tell anyone that they are getting paid... Say they are a friend and leave it at that...

          It is illegal to work in Mexico without proper documentation. Just to clear up any ambiguity...

          #16 Jess

          • Sr. Member
          • 4,455 posts

            Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

            that definitely makes sense - thank you

            #17 Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez

            Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,326 posts

              Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

              That sounds complicated to me. I just decided to stick with the resort photographer because I am stressed out about so many other things already.

              #18 Sapphire723

              • Member
              • 888 posts

                Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:06 PM

                Originally Posted by Abbie
                regardless of anything, i would ask the resort and make sure to get the answer in writing and take it with you when you go :) that way there can be no argument.
                Unfortunately, I don't think an agreement from the resort is going to protect the wedding members if the government is involved.

                I would get the proper paper work done and have the photog be legal. Stuff like this can spiral out of control, especially if you are a guest in someone else's country. Could you not get it and still be fine? Probably... but is this something you really wanna risk to save $100?

                #19 unikphoto

                • Vendor
                • 87 posts

                  Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

                  [COLOR="Blue"]Sure, the foreigner just needs an FM3 and it lasts for one full year, and it does cost approximately 100 usd, but I would add a humble suggestion, before you decide on taking your photographer and spending on the photographer's airfare (about $500usd), plus, hotel (maybe sharing rooms with one of your guests), plus food, transportation, etc. not to mention that the job is much better done if the photographer brings along an assistant, then the overheads will skyrocket. Check out the local ones, see their work and then you may be surprised about the level of quality you may be looking for.
                  JUST my humble comment./COLOR]

                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users