Sign in to follow this  
Ayita

Honeymooning - The Tides Riviera Maya or Esencia ?

Hey girls,

I'm having a hard time deciding between The Tides or Esencia for the honeymoon... do you have recommendations ? the reviews I read all say both are great... I don't know how to chose !

The Tides is near Playa del Carmen, you can walk to town along the beach. About an hour, a nice walk. The beach there is rocky and a little challenging for swimming. A cab ride to town should be less than $10.

Esencia is more secluded and has a better beach. I haven't been inside the Tides but I worked at a wedding at Esencia and was very impressed with the facilities. The beach at Esencia is good for walking and swimming and the area has many cenotes, I think you can even walk to some, I think... It's half way between Tulum and Playa del Carmen and a good 40 minutes by car in either direction. Cabs would be $25+ to either town.

I stayed at both about two weeks ago and this is what I would say - if you feel like being really alone and secluded, I'd stay at The Tides. There's pretty much no reason to leave your room! There's a pool and a lovely terrace where you can have room service delivered and unless you feel like heading to the beach, you could spend all day there!

Esencia has amazing rooms but it's a more social hotel where you definitely are going to leave your room and head down to the beach. Both gorgeous but I like the beach at Esencia much more!

Everything said above is so true and really its all about what you want. Personally I love the entertainment of Playa so staying closer to town works for me. Getting out, shopping, resturants, entertainment... it all depends on what you want.

It is your Honeymoon!